Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2901 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One more thing about the Paramount news, does that mean that the B-d consortium will now feel a great deal of pressure to make a deal with Universal to go neutral, one that they simply can't refuse?

Or maybe even Warner perhaps?
  • Reply 2902 of 4650
    Fox Set to Renew Blu-ray Commitment, Announce Future Release Plans

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...ease_Plans/875

Quote:

After months of silence, Fox Home Entertainment is planning to issue an announcement later today renewing its support for the Blu-ray format, and outlining the studio's upcoming release plans.

The move comes after this morning's shocking revelation that Paramount and DreamWorks have switched allegiances exclusively to rival HD DVD, news which has left those on all sides of the format war blind-sided.

We've just received official confirmation from Fox today that in response to Paramount's announcement, they are currently fast-tracking a press release reiterating their exclusive support for Blu-ray, as well as providing long-awaited details on their future release plans.

Though Fox (who also distributes MGM titles) was one of the early and most vocal major studio backers of Blu-ray, the studio has largely stepped out of the high-def sweepstakes for the past several months. Neither Fox nor MGM has released nor announced a single Blu-ray title on the format since 'Hoosiers' in early March. They also cancelled a huge slate of planned winter high-def releases, including such hits as 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith,' 'From Hell' and 'Me, Myself & Irene,' which have yet to be rescheduled.

We'll certainly keep you posted as soon as Fox's press release is unveiled in the coming hours. Watch this space!

Go get 'em Fox. I hope the BDA comes out blazing this holiday season, with Fox's renewed commitment, cheaper hardware prices, and a PS3 price drop.
  • Reply 2903 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

BTW Frank777, I'm not saying Microsoft want to dominate the HD optical market, I'm saying they want it to stagnate and continue to confuse consumers, so that their digital downloads will hopefully take off. Gates has been quoted numerous times how he wants this to be the case. That's where the idea comes from my friend.

That only makes sense to people who believe the rental market and the sales market are the same thing.

And they are likely mistaken.

While downloads will likely drive rental outlets like Blockbuster out of existence, they won't do the same to the Film enthusiast market, which wants to purchase and own a physical product as personal keepsakes.

In any case, HD-quality downloads won't be reality (in terms of mass adoption) for a while. Microsoft would have little to fear and virtually nothing to lose by letting discs rule for a few more years.

I'm sorry, but even a longtime Redmond-basher like me can't see a huge problem with MS being involved in the HD-DVD camp.
  • Reply 2904 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

One more thing about the Paramount news, does that mean that the B-d consortium will now feel a great deal of pressure to make a deal with Universal to go neutral, one that they simply can't refuse?

hm... what happens if everyone goes neutral?... or just Fox & Disney also join HD-DVD as a chain reaction?...

Maybe there's a reason why Fox & Disney had been holding priorly scheduled titles back for Blu-Ray releases.

Remember about a month ago.... we were bickering about Star Trek only announced for HD-DVD.... it was a sign.

Perhaps..... Fox & Disney?.......

Just a thought......
  • Reply 2905 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

hm... what happens if everyone goes neutral?... or just Fox & Disney also join HD-DVD as a chain reaction?...

Maybe there's a reason why Fox & Disney had been holding priorly scheduled titles back for Blu-Ray releases.

Remember about a month ago.... we were bickering about Star Trek only announced for HD-DVD.... it was a sign.

Perhaps..... Fox & Disney?.......

Just a thought......

Thanks for the daily dose of FUD. But it ain't gonna happen. We've seen Disney already talk about releasing classics in their vault and now here is the announcement from Fox...

Quote:

29 Titles To Debut Packed With Soon-to-Be-Announced BD Industry 'Firsts' - PLUS

- Fox's First TV Title 'PRISON BREAK' FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER

And LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD and Other Titles To Debut Day-and-Date on BD/DVD --

Blu-ray Out-Performing HD DVD 2-to-1 At Retail in 2007 --

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (TCFHE) today unveiled an

aggressive global Blu-ray Disc release strategy including 29 new release and

"must-have" catalog titles that runs through the end of the 2007 calendar year.

Among the many highlights of the impressive worldwide slate are six day & date

BD/DVD new theatrical releases from Fox including the $241 million box-office

family favorite FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER and the $335 million

box-office action powerhouse LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, four day & date BD/DVD (U.S.

only) new theatrical releases from MGM, 19 'must-have on BD' films from the two

studios' libraries, Fox's first-ever TV release on BD - PRISON BREAK -- and

Fox's intention to release at least one state-of-the-art title per month

featuring numerous BD 'firsts.'

The only high-definition packaged media universally supported by the film,

music, gaming and computer industries, BD is the #1 selling high-definition

packaged media. In fact, on a worldwide basis, BD is averaging nearly 70%

market-share per week of all high definition titles sold this year and, in the

U.S., it is out-performing HD DVD by a margin of 115%.

"Given that Blu-ray has consistently outsold HD DVD all year, and this is

the case for any titles released by any studio in both formats, we believe that

the time is right for us to accelerate our activities and help convert the

nearly 60 million high definition households worldwide into Blu-ray households,"

noted Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

"By the end of this calendar year there will be expansive availability of

technically vibrant releases featuring never-before-seen, advanced BD-J

interactivity as well as a broad offering of playback devices at attractive

prices that will prove to any doubting consumers once and for all that Blu-ray

is the only way."

"And as Blu-ray continues to grows stronger, it has become survival of the

fittest which is most apparent in the retail landscape where our eager and

growing global Blu-ray consumer base has caused a shift that is forcing the

allocation of more space to the format that is selling the best. And, in many

recent instances of note, top retailers in North America are choosing to promote

the Blu-ray format exclusively in their stores," continued Dunn.

Among the BD industry 'firsts' from the Studios' upcoming global release

slate are picture in picture capability, enhanced viewing and surround sound

modes with the ability to mix and match picture and sound, direct access to

in-movie features through one of the four colored buttons on the BD remote and

the most technically vibrant BD-Java interactive multi-player challenge and

trivia games to date. The Studios' slate also takes full advantage of BD-Live

functionality this fourth quarter. Internet-connected consumers will enjoy

unique, title specific "web-enabled" interactive features and games and

"web-exclusive" downloadable content with the ability to connect and interact

with other broadband BD users worldwide.

Cementing its leadership position within the industry - previous BD

releases NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM and X-MEN THE LAST STAND rank in the Top 20

best-sellers - the vast majority of the Studios' upcoming global slate will be

presented on 50 GB dual-layer discs with advanced BD-J interactivity and feature

numerous Blu-ray exclusive high-definition bonus materials that further realizes

BD's incredible potential. Consumers will enjoy the superior video and audio

elements of AVC encoding and Lossless HD audio on many of the coming titles as

well as enhanced and integrated menus, personal scene selections, search

indexing, trivia and other title specific games and high-definition bonus

materials.

Upcoming BD-J features exclusive to priority catalogue titles from Fox and

MGM include an "Alien Scavenger Hunt" (INDEPENDENCE DAY) that challenges players

to earn points by identifying the correct number of aliens in select scenes to

unlock additional bonus features; a "Global Warming Trivia Track" (THE DAY AFTER

TOMORROW) where users must correctly answer questions about global warming to

keep the Earth's temperature from rising and being destroyed; and a historical

and geographical pop-up map (MASTER & COMMANDER) that tracks the location of

Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey and his enemies.

Listed below are the upcoming Blu-ray Disc releases from Fox and MGM

excluding new theatrical day & date BD/DVD releases. EXACT TITLE CONFIGURATIONS

TO FOLLOW IN THE COMING WEEKS.

TITLE N.A. RELEASE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE

MASTER & COMMANDER OCT. 2 OCT.

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW OCT. 2 NOV.

FROM HELL OCT. 9 OCT.

THE FLY (1986) OCT. 9 Q1 08

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS OCT. 9 NOV.

28 DAYS LATER OCT. 9 North America Only

ROBOCOP (MGM) OCT. 9 DEC.

AMITYVILLE HORROR (1979) (MGM) OCT. 9 North America Only

BATTLE OF BRITAIN (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (MGM) NOV. 6 Q1 08

I, ROBOT NOV. 13 Q1 08

DIE HARD NOV. NOV.

DIE HARD 2: DIE HARDER NOV NOV.

DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE NOV. NOV.

RED DAWN (MGM) NOV. Q1 08

MR. AND MRS. SMITH DEC. 4 DEC.

INDEPENDENCE DAY DEC. 4 DEC.

CAST AWAY DEC. 4 North America Only

RONIN (MGM) DEC. 4 DEC.

I hope Microsoft and HD DVD go down in flames as they deservingly should.
  • Reply 2906 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I'm sorry, but even a longtime Redmond-basher like me can't see a huge problem with MS being involved in the HD-DVD camp.

Then obviously, you haven't been paying much attention, as if it weren't for Microsoft, a lot of companies wouldn't be being "paid off" to become neutral (or exclusive) and allowing HD DVD to survive.

This war ought to be over by now, but we can thank the good ol monopoly of Microsoft for it not being the case currently.
  • Reply 2907 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Reactionary press releases aside, I sense much anger in you today.
  • Reply 2908 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Master and Commander = hell yes.

Oh man. It may be my first double-dip.
  • Reply 2909 of 4650
  • Reply 2910 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Thanks for the daily dose of FUD. But it ain't gonna happen. We've seen Disney already talk about releasing classics in their vault and now here is the announcement from Fox...

Hey... I am merely just playing your counter part.... very mildly so..........

BTW... here are some movie titles that just turned HD-DVD exclusive....Star Trek..... Transformers.... Shrek the third.... and check the rest...

Captain America (2009) ... Distributor (2009) (worldwide) (theatrical)

The Avengers (2009) ... Distributor (2009) (USA) (theatrical)

Beverly Hills Cop IV (2009) ... Distributor (2009) (USA) (theatrical)

The Brazilian Job (2009) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

By Any Means Necessary (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Curly Oxide and Vic Thrill (2009) ... Distributor (2005) (USA) (theatrical)

Damn Nation (2009) ... Distributor (2009) (USA) (theatrical)

The Fighter (2009) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2009) (USA) (theatrical)

Get 'Em Wet (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

How to Lose It All (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Interstellar (2009) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (all media), Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Killing Pablo (2009) ... Distributor

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (worldwide) (theatrical)

Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Movie (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (worldwide) (theatrical)

Ripley's Believe It or Not! (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

The Serpent and the Eagle (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (all media)

The Smoker (2009) ... Distributor (2005) (USA) (all media)

Sweet Relief (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Untitled Courteney Cox Project (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Untitled Nina Simone Project (2009) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Star Trek (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

The Smurfs (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (worldwide) (theatrical)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

The Jailhouse Lawyer (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (worldwide) (all media)

Madagascar: The Crate Escape (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (worldwide) (theatrical)

Ghost Town (2008/II) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (all media), Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

NowhereLand (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

36 (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

The Few (2008) ... Distributor (worldwide)

The Love Guru (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Kung Fu Panda (2008) ... Distributor

The Lovely Bones (2008) ... Distributor (2009) (USA) (theatrical)

Fourth Installment of the Indiana Jones Adventures (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Iron Man (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Drillbit Taylor (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (all media)

Case 39 (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Untitled J.J. Abrams Project (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Ant-Man (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (worldwide) (all media)

The Chancellor Manuscript (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

Chuckle Bears (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

The Crazies (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

Deathlok (2008) ... Distributor

Dirty Tricks (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Foreign Babes in Beijing (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (worldwide) (theatrical)

Frankie Machine (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Friendly Skies (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Groupies (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Have Gun - Will Travel (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Key Party (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

The Krazees (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

Nick Fury (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Open Hearts (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Sam and George (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Soul Survivors (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Untitled Daniel Clowes Project (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

Untitled Paramount/Miniature Golf Project (2008) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

The Untouchables: Capone Rising (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

The Warriors (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

When Worlds Collide (2008) ... Distributor (2006) (USA) (theatrical)

World War Z (2008) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

There Will Be Blood (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (all media)

Strange Wilderness (2007) ... Distributor (2008) (USA) (theatrical)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Stop Loss (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Beowulf (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (all media)

Bee Movie (2007) ... Distributor

The Kite Runner (2007) ... Distributor

The Heartbreak Kid (2007) ... Distributor

Things We Lost in the Fire (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Stardust (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Hot Rod (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (all media), Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Transformers (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (worldwide) (theatrical) (except Finland, South Korea)

Iwo Jima: Looking Into the Past (2007) (V) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (DVD)

Shrek the Third (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical), Distributor (2007) (worldwide) (theatrical)

Next (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Disturbia (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (USA) (theatrical)

Blades of Glory (2007) ... Distributor (2007) (U
  • Reply 2911 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Reactionary press releases aside, I sense much anger in you today.

Not so much anger than dissapointment honestly.

I think it is sad that Paramount has taken this step and made the consumer the victim even moreso considering that the market was and is currently flat out choosing Blu-ray. As Bill Hunt had mentioned, I knew it was readily apparent that everyone in Hollywood is greedy, but why go with product that was making 115% less for you? A: Microsoft.

I think Paramount made a very very shortsighted decision, and I think they'll pay for it in the long run when Blu-ray still comes out of this on top.
  • Reply 2912 of 4650
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Master and Commander = hell yes.

Maybe you just had the same reaction as I did... this (and the LOTR trilogy, of course) could make me buy or start to buy BD disks (as well as a PS3, if Apple doesn't start to move its bu** re: HD video).
  • Reply 2913 of 4650
    I think I'm in the same thought process as Bill Hunt today in regards to what Microsoft has done...

Quote:

Predictably, we've gotten a flurry of e-mails today in response to the news about Paramount and DreamWorks going HD-DVD exclusive. As in thousands of them. They fall into four basic categories: 1) Industry insiders and observers who can't seem to figure out what the studios are smoking by continuing to fuel this format war, 2) Blu-ray Disc supporters who are notably pissed about this news, 3) HD-DVD supporters whose communications can be best summed up with the words "Nanner nanner nanner!", and 4) People who haven't made a choice yet, who have been considering getting into high-def but who are now more confused than ever.

The vast majority of the e-mails fall into categories 1, 2 and 4, not surprisingly. As for the guys in camp 3, while a few of them have been civil this morning, most of them still refuse to believe that we're not "getting paid by Sony to shill for Blu-ray!" We're not, as we've said before, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. But that doesn't seem to convince them otherwise. As you can imagine, discussion forums around the Net are ablaze today with anger, glee, frustration and confusion. And you'll probably see some of that spill over into mainstream media reports in the days ahead.

You know, here at The Bits, we've been operating over the last couple of years with one guiding principal, and that is this: We believe this format war is a TERRIBLE thing for consumers and for this industry. And we believe that if it continues much longer, consumers will turn away from high-def discs in droves. Something similar has happened before, and recently too, in the form of the high-definition audio format war between DVD-Audio and SACD. The comparison is a fair one, because like high-resolution audio discs, which faced stiff competition from the traditional CD and emerging downloading services, high-definition video discs must cope with the dominance of existing DVD and also new video downloading services like iTunes and Xbox Live. Like Blu-ray and HD-DVD, both DVD-Audio and SACD were great formats, which delivered basically the same thing: a much-higher quality A/V experience for enthusiasts. But because they basically only appealed to enthusiasts... and because there were two formats to choose from for at least three years... neither format gained much traction with average consumers, who preferred the lower price and convenience of downloads to higher priced discs, or who were simply happy enough with the existing CD. Believe us when we say this if nothing else: The same fate awaits both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc if this format war goes on for another year or more.

We chose Blu-ray Disc recently because we believed, and we continue to believe, that of the two formats, Blu-ray Disc was the only one that really stood any chance of outright winning this format war. And that's really the only reason for our decision. If the shoes were reversed, and HD-DVD had the same advantages of support Blu-ray had, we've be arguing in favor of HD-DVD. But all of our years of experience covering this business tell us that offering a single format is the ONLY way high-def discs will ever stand a chance of competing with DVD in the minds and hearts of the vast majority of consumers. The ONLY way.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has told me point blank that they believe both Blu-ray and HD-DVD can live together happily. "Look at the videogame industry," I've been told my Microsoft reps, "You've got three platforms all of which do just fine. Why can't Blu-ray and HD-DVD coexist? Combo players are the answer!" We get a number of high-end home theater enthusiasts who say the same thing: "All the studios should just go format neutral, and people should all buy combo players! That's the answer!"

The problem with this thinking is that the home video industry isn't like the videogame industry. For all the money the videogame industry makes, and it makes a lot, only a small percentage of people out there are gamers. Only a VERY small percentage of all consumers are interested in (and go to the effort of) buying multiple game platforms and lots of games titles on each platform. However, when it comes to the home video industry, people DO NOT WANT MULTIPLE PLATFORMS. They just don't. People want to just be able buy a movie on disc, bring it home and know that it's going to work on their player. That's what DVD game them. They don't want to have to choose between multiple formats, especially when making that choice involves significantly more money and spending time that they don't have to research their decision. People don't want to risk money on maybe buying the wrong format. They want a single obvious choice, that offers great quality, value and ease of use. And with so many titles being released, retailers don't want to have to stock the same title in multiple formats either. That's why Target and other retailers have started to ditch HD-DVD in recent weeks. They want to offer a single choice for their customers, because that's what their customers want.

So what Paramount and DreamWorks have just done, with Microsoft's financial urging, is to confuse consumers and retailers even more than they already are. The reality is, whether you like what they've done or not, you can't really blame Microsoft. All's fair in love and war... especially in a format war. Just like Sony, they want to keep their format going. But with Blu-ray Disc software since the start of the year outselling HD-DVD by a 2 or 3 to 1 margin, and with Blu-ray hardware sales pulling even with much cheaper HD-DVD hardware in recent weeks, the outcome of this thing was just starting to become clear to a lot of people. And aside from countering some of that momentum for Blu-ray, what this news today does is make the situation a lot more cloudy for consumers. All so that Paramount and DreamWorks can bank a few extras millions in the short term. But if this situation continues much longer, ALL of the studios will lose a lot more than that in the long term. High-def discs will do well within a tiny niche market of enthusiasts who can afford to buy two different pieces of hardware or combo players, but everyone else will shrug and stop caring. And that will be a terrible shame, because if that's the outcome, even the enthusiasts will ultimately lose.

Who really wins in that situation? Certainly not consumers or retailers. Not the Hollywood studios. But anyone who's trying to sell their movie download service will be smiling all the way to the bank, you can bet on that.

You know what really disturbs us? The possibility of the situation getting even more muddy than it already is now. Here's how it could happen: Spurred by this Paramount and DreamWorks news, Fox and MGM will almost certainly get back into the Blu-ray Disc business fast and in a big way. So the Blu-ray camp will come back with all guns blazing. And then there's this: I'd be shocked if Microsoft wasn't trying to use their money and influence (not to mention the momentum gained by the Paramount and DreamWorks move) to try and convince Warner (along with New Line and HBO) to go HD-DVD exclusive as well. So it's not inconceivable that we could find ourselves in a position in which Disney, MGM, Fox, Sony and Lionsgate are in one camp, and Universal, Paramount, DreamWorks and Warner (plus maybe New Line) are in the other. You know what that would mean? Quagmire. And disaster for the home video industry... and high-def movie fans everywhere.

You think it can't happen? You think the industry can't possibly be THAT shortsighted? Uh-huh. Would anyone other than Microsoft care to wager on that?

• Reply 2914 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Been gone all day. I don't have to speak on this as we already know the impact.

HUGE...Megaton bomb huge. No Gladiator in Blu-ray?

I can smell the HD DVD sales coming. Universal's not going Neutral with Paramount there to support them.
  • Reply 2915 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Paramount Drops Blu-ray Support; Does Not Include Spielberg Movies

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=412

Wow,...just wow. Great news for HD DVD indeed, I'll admit. However, I think we can now thank Microsoft for prolonging this war now on inevitably.

Pretty sad. Not so sure if this is great for the market and the conumers as a whole. Just good for Microsoft and their goal in stifling the opitical disc market.

My jaw dropped when I saw this. As someone that's gone with BD, I'm super pissed. I had anticipated they were going to release the Star Trek movies in BD within a year. Apparently not.

Now, two points: 1. This may improve things considerably for HD-DVD's chances.

2. I don't think the decision is going to stand very long due to consumer demand and complaints. See the article above.
  • Reply 2916 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Been gone all day. I don't have to speak on this as we already know the impact.

HUGE...Megaton bomb huge. No Gladiator in Blu-ray?

I can smell the HD DVD sales coming. Universal's not going Neutral with Paramount there to support them.

I'm telling you...read the article above. It makes great sense.

Also...whether or not the announcement helps HD-DVD, it makes absolutely no business sense for Paramount and DreamWorks. They picked a format that is losing 2 and 3 to 1. The only way I can see the execs doing this is if there is some kind of prop-up kickback coming from M$. If there is one thing M$ has shown, it's that they are willing to throw hundreds of millions at something to make it work. They did it with the original xBox, and now they're going to do it with HD-DVD.

My best guess? I think it's just going to prolong the inevitable blu-ray victory. What would have taken 12 more months will now take 18-24. That's just a guess though.
  • Reply 2917 of 4650
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My best guess? I think it's just going to prolong the inevitable blu-ray victory. What would have taken 12 more months will now take 18-24. That's just a guess though.

My best guess. Sales go 50:50 this Christmas between blue ray and HD DVD. This will pretty much assure HD DVD survival. Then the studios will all go neutral and offer titles in both formats. Blue Ray could have got the knock out this year at Christmas. I don't see that now.

There will be NO winner.
  • Reply 2918 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

My best guess. Sales go 50:50 this Christmas between blue ray and HD DVD. This will pretty much assure HD DVD survival. Then the studios will all go neutral and offer titles in both formats. Blue Ray could have got the knock out this year at Christmas. I don't see that now.

There will be NO winner.

Yup no winner. Paramounts likely sewn up until post Xmas 2008. I know plenty of Blu-ray fans can withstand Universal movies but they won't be able to handle both Universal and Paramount which means $199 HD DVD players will be going into Blu-ray homes.

It also means my "boat anchor" just got a lot more valuable

Plus it means that my eventual movie into Blu-ray becomes easier because Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks movies will only be available for one of my players.

As much as I love some Fox movies they have like 3x the amount of movies Paramount has for Distribution. Make no bones about it this was the first huge salvo in the battle for Xmas. I suspect the studios are going to capitulate and find a way to support both platforms affordably.
  • Reply 2919 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    It doesn't mean HD-DVD players go into Blu-Ray owners homes, it mean more SD purchases until things change (or just rental, thus affecting sales negatively). I will continue to purchase Blu-Ray and rip/burn the dvd versions of movies I would have bought on Blu-Ray but cannot. I wonder how many people are in that boat. Weren't the studios trying to end piracy? This neutrality won't help, who the hell wants to buy two players?
  • Reply 2920 of 4650
    Insane! HD-DVD fanboys are completely insane. It's absolutely impossible for HD-DVD to win this war so instead you risk the entire market in the hopes that your format can "coexist" with Blu-ray.

Personally I hope Paramount chokes on Microsoft's little bribe.