MTV and Real to join forces against Apple's iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    It's going to start off slow, but support against apple is building.

I don't want to say this, because i'm apple's biggest fan, but they can't hold on forever. History is starting to repeat itself again. They lost out on the OS wars because they refused to license their software. They're now going to lose on the music store wars, because they refuse to open it up to anyone else.

They may be unstoppable now, but how many more alliances between competitors does it take to start drawing away business?

Being the first or the best at doing something doesn't matter if everyone else steals your ideas. Bullying partners and vendors into thinking that you are a god and not willing to negotiate is not the best way to do business, you need to learn from your past.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Two sinking ships that strap themselves together only creates one big sinking ship. So long as they are selling DRM tracks, they will not make a dent in the iTunes market share.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    MTV is DEAD.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanra View Post

I don't want to say this, because i'm apple's biggest fan, but they can't hold on forever. History is starting to repeat itself again. They lost out on the OS wars because they refused to license their software. They're now going to lose on the music store wars, because they refuse to open it up to anyone else.

They may be unstoppable now, but how many more alliances between competitors does it take to start drawing away business?

Being the first or the best at doing something doesn't matter if everyone else steals your ideas. Bullying partners and vendors into thinking that you are a god and not willing to negotiate is not the best way to do business, you need to learn from your past.

Yeah, nice try Mr Suspicious One Post but complete rubbish unfortunately.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Both of them together remind me of 2 crotchety old ladies planning a trip to Six Flags for the last time.

What a unique analogy. That made my day.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    really?

and why is it complete rubbish?

No nicely phrased response.

Please be more constructive with your feedback.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    That's pretty good.

I thought all those companies were already "joining forces" to take on iTunes.

The real article probably just said, "MTV and REAL NETWORKS are going to start an online music service".

Sure it will be competing with Apple iTunes, but it won't compete with them. It would be like

MTV sucks these days, so I have a hard time believing that they will pull anything off that isn't just mediocre.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Yeah, nice try Mr Suspicious One Post but complete rubbish unfortunately.

First post of not, doesn't sound all that much like rubbish. Any company with the right amount of money and the will to overtake a market and can do so. Walmart is certainly a company that if they decided to put some serious money behind selling DRM free music could do so.

Like I said in my previous post even if it just adds competition thats good for us, it will keep prices in check and maybe even one day remove the DRM we all hate.

I don't believe Apple will be in trouble, itunes and ipods are always going to be dominate in the mp3 market
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

First post of not, doesn't sound all that much like rubbish. Any company with the right amount of money and the will to overtake a market and can do so. Walmart is certainly a company that if they decided to put some serious money behind selling DRM free music could do so.

Like I said in my previous post even if it just adds competition thats good for us, it will keep prices in check and maybe even one day remove the DRM we all hate.

I don't believe Apple will be in trouble, itunes and ipods are always going to be dominate in the mp3 market

I don't believe apple or their abillity to sell ipods will be in trouble for a long while.

The thing that worries me is their inabillity to see the fact that is exactly what caused their downfall in the 90's.

I'm certainly not going to stop buying ipods or macs.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

That's pretty good.

I thought all those companies were already "joining forces" to take on iTunes.

The real article probably just said, "MTV and REAL NETWORKS are going to start an online music service".

Sure it will be competing with Apple iTunes, but it won't compete with them. It would be like

MTV sucks these days, so I have a hard time believing that they will pull anything off that isn't just mediocre.

MTV might suck but Verizon is part of this and they don't suck. Remember they are the ones that turned down Apple not the other way around. While Apples market share has grown and they have money in the bank to play with there are still alot of companies out there that have far more money than Apple.

Companies like Walmart, MS could pretty much give players and music away if they wanted too for a year just to bury Apple.

Im still surprised that Dell and HP haven't started to offer a free Zune with every computer over 999.00.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

MTV told some exec they wanted to create an online music store to compete with iTunes, and once that person stopped laughing, he were able to choke out "Get real!"

So they did.

Real media is terrible, I could see MTV making some decent competition for Apple if they have links to the right connections in the industry but not if they use Real. If these companies want to rebel against Apple's restrictive formats, why go with an even more proprietary and completely reviled format?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanra

I get the same impression. Companies are forever trying to compete with Apple instead of partnering with them and favoring Windows based solutions. The trouble with Apple is that they like to dictate the terms as you say and that really irritates people.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    This is why Universal have not renewed their iTunes contract.

Universal also are suing Youtube I think, I reckon they wouldn't bother if they didn't have plans to do their own youtube.
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...MTV and RealNetworks (which runs subscription digital music service Rhapsody), will band together (subscription required) with the common goal o...

enough said. have fun trying to make that work.

When will people start understanding new media?
  • Reply 34 of 91
    When accessing Walmart's music download section on their website from a mac you get:

Quote:

"We're sorry, your operating system is incompatible. To provide the best download experience, we can no longer support Windows 98, ME or NT. Please visit again after you upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Visit our Help section for complete system requirements information."

drm-free indeed.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravedog View Post

When accessing Walmart's music download section on their website from a mac you get:

drm-free indeed.

That really doesn't matter all that much. Lets remember 94% of all ipod/itune users are pc users. Most of your teens downloading from itunes are using a 799.00 computer from Dell.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Yeah, all the kids are going to be flocking to WALMART.COM to save 5 cents.

Sorry EMI, Universal, Walmart, MTV & Real - GAME OVER!

I do think it is a major deal when Universal partners with Google to sell DRM free songs specifically excluding iTunes as a venue. I mean this is exactly what Jobs was pestering them to do on iTunes a while back.

I just wonder if DRM free music from Universal is the death knell for all DRMs, or is this just a ploy for Universal to gain market share so that later on they can re-instill DRM technology.?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gbox-musi...nes-288614.php
  • Reply 37 of 91
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NerdimusPrime View Post

Didn't MTV used to have something to do with music once upon a time?

People like to pretend that they don't, but what really happened is that they are on other channels, they have at least a half dozen other channels targeted towards specific music genres. Those other channels might not show up on a typical basic cable package.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It takes a good strategy too. Money mispent and "will" misdirected will usually fail. I don't think Walmart's previous methods will succeed in paid downloads. Money and effort might somewhat make up for a misfit strategy but it can only go so far.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The trouble with Apple is that they like to dictate the terms as you say and that really irritates people.

Exactly. I think we can now safely say that Universal is "irritated" with Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Commodore and Atari are teaming up to challenge Apple in GUI-based computers which can be used in a portable environment...oops, sorry, brain melt.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm sure Microsoft's Urge users will be pleased to see it go \

As for Real... I was delighted recently to discover that I have gone a year without ANY need to install RealPlayer. It used to be ubiquitous online--and utterly obnoxious in taking over your system's media-handling. Now, thankfully, it's nearly gone from the Web. (At least as far as being mandatory. Maybe some sites use it, but they also offer QuickTime-friendly clips or Flash.)