Noob RAM question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey there

New to the forum and just purchased my first Mac. I opted for the 24", 2.8Ghz, 500G, & 1G of RAM. I am looking to purchase more memory but just have a few questions.

I mostly use my computer for the general stuff. Email, forums (AI/AVS, etc.), iTunes, Pics, & now .Mac, & Pages. I plan on working a lot with iMovie and possibly look into getting FCE.

Questions:

How much RAM should I be looking to get? I have thought about just buying a 2GB card to go with the 1GB thats coming with my computer for a total of 3GB. I'm thinking that should be enough. However, a relative suggests running it with the max 4GB and getting matching modules. Is that overkill for my applications? I thought about trying the 3GB set up and see if its fast enough, but if I decide to do it that way, would I suffer any performance loss with not having matching modules?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    If FCE will be your most intensive app and you won't be running a lot of intensive apps at once I think 3GB should be plenty.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    I agree with Buddha, if you wanted to save some money, I think 2 would probably cover it. Though, the more you have the better
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gvg45gvg45 Posts: 11member
    Thanks for the replys. I also feel 3GB should be more than enough but want to get other suggestions.

BTW, does the new iMac support dual channel memory? From reading on Cruical's website, it seems not, however while reading another Mac forum, some say that it does.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I hereby order you to proceed with getting FCE and using it. I do this out of jealousy for your new machine. I have a video production company and our beefiest machine is a Core Duo 1.8 ghz iMac with 1.5 GB memory. An upgrade to a Mac Pro is in the cards, but not until I feel I'm being held back by the machine I have. I think you'll find 3GB on your beast to be quite satisfactory.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I hereby order you to proceed with getting FCE and using it. I do this out of jealousy for your new machine. I have a video production company and our beefiest machine is a Core Duo 1.8 ghz iMac with 1.5 GB memory. An upgrade to a Mac Pro is in the cards, but not until I feel I'm being held back by the machine I have. I think you'll find 3GB on your beast to be quite satisfactory.

Will do!

Per Apples order status page:

Ships by: Aug 21 - Aug 23 \t \t \t \t \t \t

Delivers by: Aug 23 - Aug 29

I'm hoping to get an email tomorrow stating its being shipped and then I should have it by the weekend.

I'm going to order the 2GB RAM later this evening.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ah! screw it! Ordered 2X2GB Modules today. Whats another $135?