whats the best i tunes alternative

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got my new ipod and for windows I always used poddox as an alternative....but I dont know what mac programs there are (as im new) any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Use iTunes. What's the problem?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iLove iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Seriously, why the stance against iTunes?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    If the man wants to use an iTunes alternative, he can use one. It's his computer. The only problem is he won't get it to work with his iPod very well (if at all).

I have an iPod and I have been using iTunes since version 1. I think it's a solid program, and I swear by it. I'd suggest you try it before looking for an alternative... there's nothing wrong with going mainstream when the mainstream is the best option out there, my friend.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    To tell the truth...

When I hear that someone wants to use an alternative to iTunes, I subconsciously write them off as part of the tinfoil brigade. Granted, on occasion there are good reasons to use something else. But so far, everyone that I've met with an anti-iTunes sentiment also displays other symptoms of abnormal psychology. Mostly paranoia and other schizophrenia linked traits.

But don't take this personally. I'm not claiming it about you, just people in general.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I tunes is horrendus...I would have flashed my firmware already and installed rockbox if i didnt have a 2nd gen nano. I tunes isint good as a media player or a synch program. I have 80 gigs of music and a 4g nano, So basic synching isint my thing. and working with i tunes to do other things I find to be obnoxious.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    You don't have to sync. You can manually drag over whatever songs you want to put on your iPod. If you knew you didn't like iTunes, why did you get a DAP that is so entwined with it?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    this is a thread with an agenda. Recognize it and dismiss it.

Every once in agreat while someone has to come up with some obscure reason to try to seperate iTunes from the iPod.

Poddox and Rockbox? Please. iTunes is far superior, even the PC version. If you don't want to download music to your iPod, but instead rip CDs, go right ahead and use those. no big deal. There is really no true alternative to itunes, so rating the best is a bit of a difficult thing to do.

If you want an alternative to iTunes, you can get a Zune! and then your stuck with Zune Marketplace! I guess you will need an alternative for that?

Come on. itunes was made for iPod and they work absolutely great together. No need for alternatives. period.

If a PC user really wants to ditch iTunes, simply use Media Player, rip your songs and then manually transfer them in Windows Explorer. then at least you are not bogging poor windows down with extra software.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Wow... I really didn't know that. What's horrendous about it? And for what end purpose?

For what I do (rip my CD's to the superior AAC format, transfer to the iPod, listen as a jukebox) it's fantastic. Never crashed, looks and feels great and doesn't bog down my machine.

So I'd be interested in knowing for what end-user experience it is "horrendous".

hmmmm....here I go...

-No plugin architecture. What was Apple thinking?

-iTunes constantly obliterates library and play list settings when you re-add files to your library.

-iTunes does not allow you to reorder its leftmost column heading. Why the hell not? I would like the artist column to be first instead of the intractable song title column.

-iTunes does not come with support for 3rd party plug-in encoders such as OGG, etc. Particularly saddening is the lack of support for any type of compressed lossless encoding format such as FLAC.

-iTunes does not support all or the most common and new CD burners. I just bought a new 52x FireWire burner. While Toast can see and use it without problems, iTunes blithely ignores it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

hmmmm....here I go...

-No plugin architecture. What was Apple thinking?

-iTunes constantly obliterates library and play list settings when you re-add files to your library.

-iTunes does not allow you to reorder its leftmost column heading. Why the hell not? I would like the artist column to be first instead of the intractable song title column.

-iTunes does not come with support for 3rd party plug-in encoders such as OGG, etc. Particularly saddening is the lack of support for any type of compressed lossless encoding format such as FLAC.

-iTunes does not support all or the most common and new CD burners. I just bought a new 52x FireWire burner. While Toast can see and use it without problems, iTunes blithely ignores it.

Itunes uses system wide quicktime plugins, for example FLAC and OGG

What comes to burners try patchburner
  • Reply 11 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Troll, or idiot. Most of his/her gripes are not valid, and the rest are frivolous.

Don't get me the wrong way. I remember when iTunes first came out, and I was hesitant to use it. It didn't seem quite right, but eventually Apple got it right -- very right. iTunes is the gold standard by which all other media players are judged. So far, there's nothing that even comes close. Griping about iTunes is valid, in the sense that there are people out there trying to make the Ferrari Enzo a faster car. If you have specific needs, by all means use the tools tha meet your needs. For goodness sake, go ahead and write your songs via Toast: iTunes neatly organizes your files, lossy or lossless, so it's easy to use another program in concert with iTunes.