Apple seeing "unprecedented" surge in MacBook demand

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The media frenzy surrounding the iPhone may have helped Apple claim a record share of customers for its portable line at the expense of its rivals Dell and HP, says a new survey from ChangeWave.

An early August study that canvassed 3,665 of the financial research group's existing members' buying habits has revealed that nearly one sixth, or 17 percent, of respondents who had bought a notebook in the past three months had chosen one of Apple's MacBook or MacBook Pro models. The gain was an "unprecedented" jump from 12 percent in June and eclipsed the Mac maker's previous record of 15 percent set in January.

The computer builder was also set to enjoy continued high demand from future buyers, with 28 percent of those expecting to buy a notebook between August and October claiming that the system will be a Mac. Desktop demand was largely steady at 7 percent of past desktop sales and 23 percent of intended purchases, though the study completed just a day after Apple had introduced the new aluminum iMac.

ChangeWave attributed much of the increase to a previously predicted halo effect created by the sheer publicity relating to the run-up for the iPhone. While the investment analysis firm didn't provide an explanation for why members were gravitating towards MacBooks, it did suggest that the spike in sales was triggered primarily by customers newly interested in Macs after exposure to the Apple cellphone and its marketing campaign.

"The findings of our newest consumer survey are in and they show the enormous impact of that transformational shift [towards Apple]," said ChangeWave. "They serve as powerful evidence that the aforementioned 'halo effect' is indeed translating into real world Mac computer sales for Steve Jobs and company."

In contrast, other computer manufacturers were said to have suffered in the latest rankings, potentially as a result of Apple's success. Hewlett-Packard saw a climb in anticipated desktop sales of five points, to 28 percent, but had ultimately lost three points in planned notebook sales to 25 percent -- probably the result of "increased competition" from Apple, ChangeWave wrote.

The analysts doubted that much of the lost share was funneling towards HP's frequent market rival Dell. Those surveyed were more likely than ever to have shied away from the Texas-based PC maker: future demand for notebooks had dropped from 28 to 24 percent while recent sales had advanced only one point from an all-time low to 29 percent. Some of this drop was potentially attributable to Dell's corporate sales, which dominate its income and typically avoid direct competition with Apple's preferred home market.

No matter which company proved to be the source for Apple's increase, the survey backed its arguments by pointing to extremely favorable customer satisfaction scores. A full 86 percent of Mac owners, regardless of model, claimed they were "very satisfied" with their purchases. The figure was 27 points higher than for next-best Toshiba, which managed to please just 59 percent of its customers.

And like its estimated sales numbers, Dell once again suffered in the rankings. Of major computer makers, the manufacturer placed last in customer happiness and could only claim that 44 percent of recent buyers were truly happy with their product.

"Once again -- more great news for Apple; more ominous news for Dell," ChangeWave noted.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 131
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    congrats Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 131
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Great stuff, now the shares should get a little boost back up.
  • Reply 3 of 131
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Great stuff, now the shares should get a little boost back up.

you didn't like 5 points today ?
  • Reply 4 of 131
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Good news for Apple... but somehow I doubt the survey is very representative of the larger US/world population of computer users; if that were the case, we would be actually seeing the ~20% marketshare numbers right now. I imagine the 4k members they surveyed were younger than the average buyer.

That said, stepping back, it's quite a statement to say that ~28% of younger consumers want to buy Apple laptops. Imagine 5 years from now when the now-younger consumer IS the average consumer; does that mean Apple's on the road to 20% (or more?) marketshare?
  • Reply 5 of 131
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    more sales if base model of MacBook goes Super Drive

i think specs wise Apple need to revamp the entire macbook and pro lines

13.3" MacBook Black - $1099, $1299

15.4" MacBook Black - $1499

15.4" MacBook Pro - $1799, $1999

17.0" MacBook Pro - $2299

graphics and HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) to differentiate the Pro and Consumer lines...
  • Reply 6 of 131
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    When will the MacBook get the 965 chip set? The 945 came out before the nvidia 5200, it is old, newer shared GPU technology, while not as good as independent gpus, are FAR better than the 945, particularly for video playback.
  • Reply 7 of 131
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    While the laptop numbers are great, the desktop numbers are further evidence that Apple really doesn't understand the market for desktop computers anymore, IMHO...
  • Reply 8 of 131
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Right-on booga.

Apple needs a mid-range computer baaaadly.
  • Reply 9 of 131
    Now that ChangeWave have followed public opinion and are such Apple fans, isn't it about time they gave up yucky Excel and turned to Pages to make their charts?

Damn those things are ugly. Even Excel 2004 would at least have some antialiasing.
  • Reply 10 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Right-on booga.

As much as I'd love to have one, I really see more portables and less desktops since markets show an upswing in notebooks and a gradual decline in desktop sales, not more.

From a USA Today research article: "In May, the overall notebook market grew by 40% over the same month a year ago. Apple outpaced overall market growth with a year-to-year jump of 65%, Baker said. Windows-based notebooks saw a 37% increase in sales."

I went to two Apple stores, and used the 'online chat' and every time I asked about an iMac I got "You need a MBP for graphic design!" Right... but I was asking about the iMac? "But the MBP is much better than the iMac for design!" But don't they have the same specs? "MBP!"

I just said thanks and left.
  • Reply 11 of 131
    I went to the Apple store tonight. I was planning on purchasing a 15" MBP to replace my 12" PB. After waiting nearly 20 minutes, I gave up. The store was packed, and it was packed even more when I was there a few days after the new iMacs were released. It's anecdotal evidence, but I do think there is more interest in Apple products.

After leaving the Apple store, I'm glad I didn't purchase the 15" MBP. I think I'm going to try to wait for a smaller MBP, if one ever comes out. I've been waiting forever, and my desire for a faster laptop is getting the best of me. Had an employee actually answered the assist request that I clicked on the laptop, Apple would have sold yet another laptop tonight.
  • Reply 12 of 131
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    My iBook is literally dying as I type this... If they don't release a minitower next week I'll be without a comp...
  • Reply 13 of 131
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ChangeWave™ is irrelevant. I don't listen to them no matter if the news is positive or negative. Completely unreliable.
  • Reply 14 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DdubRes79 View Post

I went to two Apple stores, and used the 'online chat' and every time I asked about an iMac I got "You need a MBP for graphic design!" Right... but I was asking about the iMac? "But the MBP is much better than the iMac for design!" But don't they have the same specs? "MBP!"

I just said thanks and left.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the product they are pushing is more expensive.
  • Reply 15 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

My iBook is literally dying as I type this... If they don't release a minitower next week I'll be without a comp...

i have a ibook g4@ 1ghz with 768 ram. i can't afford an MBP, and the mini is under powered same as the macbook (no dedicated gpu). the new imacs are only glossy, no thanks. i guess we're kind of stuck. i might give in a just buy a PS3 and install linux on it; cause i don't see anything cheap coming from apple soon and those statistic are not very realistic, especially for the desktop.
  • Reply 16 of 131
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Right-on booga.

I also believe they would be served well with a mid-range. Except I believe Apple eventually wants to morph out of the computer space and into the cosumer electronic market. You have the AppleTV and iPhone as proof that OSX can scale down to small devices. What's next? A navigation/entertainment system in luxury cars or high end prosumer cameras?

Maybe they'll put a whole Mac on a small system board and sell them to appliance manufacturers. Kind of like reverse cloning. Mac OSX on your refrigerator or washer eh?
  • Reply 17 of 131
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    This will be one heck of a quarter for Apple with respect to portable sales. Desktop sales won't be as strong due to the August release of the iMac. Pent-up iMac demand can only go so far over a period of less than two months.

If Apple released the new iMac in July the Mac unit sales for this quarter would be much better.
  • Reply 18 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

ChangeWave™ is irrelevant. I don't listen to them no matter if the news is positive or negative. Completely unreliable.

And you think I"M a cynic?
  • Reply 19 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I also believe they would be served well with a mid-range. Except I believe Apple eventually wants to morph out of the computer space and into the cosumer electronic market. You have the AppleTV and iPhone as proof that OSX can scale down to small devices. What's next? A navigation/entertainment system in luxury cars or high end prosumer cameras?

Maybe they'll put a whole Mac on a small system board and sell them to appliance manufacturers. Kind of like reverse cloning. Mac OSX on your refrigerator or washer eh?

I can't see that happening for a long time, if ever.
  • Reply 20 of 131
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

more sales if base model of MacBook goes Super Drive

i think specs wise Apple need to revamp the entire macbook and pro lines

graphics and HD-DVD (or Blu-Ray) to differentiate the Pro and Consumer lines...

Um, Apple will definitely not include Blu-Ray until it has beaten HD-DVD.

-=|Mgkwho