Mad Men

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anybody watch Mad Men yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've only seen the first one, but I am dvr'ing. So far it is pretty good.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    I've seen the first two. They are great. I'm recording the 3rd one now. I love how they smoke and drink constantly. The end of the first episode was a real shocker too...I don't want to spoil it. Let's say I never saw the scene "at home" coming.

Problem is all that smoke makes me want a cigar...bad! So I guess every Thursday night will be cigar night now. mmm....premium tobacco.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I've seen the first two. They are great. I'm recording the 3rd one now. I love how they smoke and drink constantly. The end of the first episode was a real shocker too...I don't want to spoil it. Let's say I never saw the scene "at home" coming.

Problem is all that smoke makes me want a cigar...bad! So I guess every Thursday night will be cigar night now. mmm....premium tobacco.

All the smoking brings back fond memories of my first job after college where we would have coffee in the office at around 3:00pm and smoke at our desks.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

All the smoking brings back fond memories of my first job after college where we would have coffee in the office at around 3:00pm and smoke at our desks.

It reminds me of when I was a kid. Everyone still smoked then. It's amazing how things have changed really. The other night I was down at my Dad's, in FL, and I was having a cigar out on the porch. I asked him if he had something I could ash into, and he got out a fucking ashtray. I was like...holy shit...where'd you get THAT? He hasn't smoked in 25 years, but I guess they have one hidden away or whatever. I just think about stuff like that....restaurants had ashtrays everywhere, cars had ashtrays and cig lighters standard, people smoked inside, even airplanes had smoking onboard. I remember when Northwest banned smoking on its flights...it was an event.

Now, I can't smoke in an open air stadium at a football game or at any restaurant in Philly. Makes me wonder how long until cigs go away entirely?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I kind of want to check it out, but I don't get cable. I also didn't really like "The Sopranos," so I don't have too much expectation for Mad Men. I think my problem with The Sopranos is that, as well done as it was, it wasn't very imaginitive. TV seems to lack much imagination these days: I miss the absurd programs of the 80's.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I'm enjoying it. For the person who doesn't have cable, I think I've seen commercials stating it is available on iTunes.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

I kind of want to check it out, but I don't get cable. I also didn't really like "The Sopranos," so I don't have too much expectation for Mad Men. I think my problem with The Sopranos is that, as well done as it was, it wasn't very imaginitive. TV seems to lack much imagination these days: I miss the absurd programs of the 80's.

Like Alf and NightRider?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It reminds me of when I was a kid. Everyone still smoked then. It's amazing how things have changed really. The other night I was down at my Dad's, in FL, and I was having a cigar out on the porch. I asked him if he had something I could ash into, and he got out a fucking ashtray. I was like...holy shit...where'd you get THAT? He hasn't smoked in 25 years, but I guess they have one hidden away or whatever. I just think about stuff like that....restaurants had ashtrays everywhere, cars had ashtrays and cig lighters standard, people smoked inside, even airplanes had smoking onboard. I remember when Northwest banned smoking on its flights...it was an event.

Now, I can't smoke in an open air stadium at a football game or at any restaurant in Philly. Makes me wonder how long until cigs go away entirely?

It's funny I don't mind not smoking in bars and it can be annoying now when I'm in a smokey bar, but I do miss having a big meal out and then having a cup of coffee and a smoke to end it. Makes me jealous when I'm watching that show.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Like Alf and NightRider?

I was thinking more alnog the lines of AirWolf, MacGyver, The A-Team, etc. NightRider is kind of halfway there. Alf was a sitcom. I hate sitcoms.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I was thinking more alnog the lines of AirWolf, MacGyver, The A-Team, etc. NightRider is kind of halfway there. Alf was a sitcom. I hate sitcoms.

You are bringing back bad memories, very bad memories. I may have to force you watch season one of Growing Pains.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

It's funny I don't mind not smoking in bars and it can be annoying now when I'm in a smokey bar, but I do miss having a big meal out and then having a cup of coffee and a smoke to end it. Makes me jealous when I'm watching that show.

I knew what you mean. I sometimes get annoyed by cig smoke even though I enjoy cigars.

Quote:

Halfway? WHAT? Dude...you're messing with KNIGHT RIDER now...it's classic status is well documented. Don't make that mistake again.

Quote:

You are bringing back bad memories, very bad memories. I may have to force you watch season one of Growing Pains.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I don't watch sitcoms. I just don't like them. Despite the absurdity of the shows I mentioned, and in many cases the less than stellar execution, I applaud the creators for trying to make a show that's not another, god-awful sitcom. Even Seinfeld, easily the best sitcom in my lifetime, is not particularly novel. These days, action TV is pretty much relegated to sci-fi, which is fine with me, but I'm of the opinion that there's still a plenty large market for episodical action TV. For example, the ratings for Man vs. Wild have remained decent even after everyone found out it's a sham.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

I don't watch sitcoms. I just don't like them. Despite the absurdity of the shows I mentioned, and in many cases the less than stellar execution, I applaud the creators for trying to make a show that's not another, god-awful sitcom. Even Seinfeld, easily the best sitcom in my lifetime, is not particularly novel. These days, action TV is pretty much relegated to sci-fi, which is fine with me, but I'm of the opinion that there's still a plenty large market for episodical action TV. For example, the ratings for Man vs. Wild have remained decent even after everyone found out it's a sham.

I was merely trying to recall the worst dross from that time period I could think of. I don't know about novel, but Seinfeld was definitely innovative, Scrubs is pretty innovative as well. What about Prison Break or 24?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    AirWolf was great,

I liked Knight Rider as well,

I think Miami Vice is still my favorite show from the 80's though.

I liked Soprano's though I rarely saw it... May have to check out this "Mad Men"...