First time OSX user... I think it's crashing :D

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well I just got my first mac today, 2,4GHz iMac 20 inch, and well... iTunes is not responding and neiher is the dock, so I can't force it to stop from there... The OSX help function isn't really helping me to terminate the program... Is there some sort of "task manager" or some other way to get the darn thing to quit running? Thanks

PS: other than this minor issue right now I am very happy with my mac, wouldn't want to go back to Windows!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Well I just got my first mac today, 2,4GHz iMac 20 inch, and well... iTunes is not responding and neiher is the dock, so I can't force it to stop from there... The OSX help function isn't really helping me to terminate the program... Is there some sort of "task manager" or some other way to get the darn thing to quit running? Thanks

PS: other than this minor issue right now I am very happy with my mac, wouldn't want to go back to Windows!

You want "Force Quit". Click on the Apple logo (upper left) and choose Force Quit. Choose the application that is not responding. There is also a shortcut key-combo too, but I can't remember it right now.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

You want "Force Quit". Click on the Apple logo (upper left) and choose Force Quit. Choose the application that is not responding. There is also a shortcut key-combo too, but I can't remember it right now.

OK thanks a lot, by the time I had posted the thread I had alread found it myself

It just crashed again though... appaers like it's rather sensitive and unstable if you wanna do other stuff while ripping a cd...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Have you done all of the Software Updates?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The key command, by the way, is command-option-escape. Enjoy!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

It just crashed again though... appaers like it's rather sensitive and unstable if you wanna do other stuff while ripping a cd...

Shouldn't be. I surf the net and do all kinds of things while ripping CDs. You may have a problem.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Hm I don't know... all I know is iTunes feels a little less snappy than all the other apps I've tried so far... Ripping another cd as we speak and no trouble currently.

Is a ripping speed of 9x max to 128kbps AAC normal for a new iMac according to you guys?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Try a different ripping app. I recommend Max.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    The OS X equivalent (but better version) of task manager is 'activity monitor' You can do pretty much anything you can do in task manager, but I find it easier to find info about spec. usage and stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I recommend placing Activity Monitor in your Dock. It's one of the most useful bundled utilities in Mac OS X.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Another way to force quit apps that don't really respond to the Force Quit keystroke or the Force Quit pop-up is to click on the app in the dock and hold down the mouse button till a pop-up menu appears that let's you select "Force Quit", that works in a different way some how. Some apps for quit with that method some with the Keystroke/Menu...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

iTunes is the issue? how many mp3s do u have? since u just got the iMac did u do some sort of massive file transfer over to the iMac HDD from Windows? i'm wondering if there is a corrupted music file somewhere that is causing iTunes to act up.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Ripping speed varies by CD but you should be able to get up to 20x from some new CDs if you're not doing anything else. iTunes can hang if it has trouble reading a CD...are they new or old CD you're ripping? If they're old and scratched, this may explain your slow ripping performance. If new, try trashing the iTunes preferences (spotlight "iTunes.plist" and see if that helps. It's rare but occasionally prerefence files can get corrupted.

Quote:

Hm I don't know... all I know is iTunes feels a little less snappy than all the other apps I've tried so far... Ripping another cd as we speak and no trouble currently.

Is a ripping speed of 9x max to 128kbps AAC normal for a new iMac according to you guys?

• Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

no thats sounds incredibly slow. is the CD scratched? Update itunes?