OS X and GFX Card

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a x1900 and I was wondering if I could upgrade my fan. I have had over heating issues b4 and it resulted in a new card. I know they make upgraded fans and coolers, but I don't know if you can use them in the OS X environment. Anyone know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Some people use the SMC fan control software to make the fan spin faster and that seems to work. It generates more noise though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Some people use the SMC fan control software to make the fan spin faster and that seems to work. It generates more noise though.

Yeah I have it, but I don't know how high I can crank them. If I had a fan replacement I wouldn't have to worry about blowin' them (I don't think). I put the fans up a little bit, you really can't notice a noise difference at all, but I don't know if I put them high enough or not to prevent my card from fryin' out again.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Yeah I have it, but I don't know how high I can crank them. If I had a fan replacement I wouldn't have to worry about blowin' them (I don't think). I put the fans up a little bit, you really can't notice a noise difference at all, but I don't know if I put them high enough or not to prevent my card from fryin' out again.

Fans can go up pretty high. You won't 'blow' the fans with the software because it only sets the limits within Apple's defined min and max speeds. A fan is just a motor, spinning it faster or slower won't really affect it's lifetime.

This guy reports that using 5000 rpm made the fan sound funny for a bit:

http://ocheex.blogspot.com/2007/07/smc-fan-control.html

but then it stopped.

I'd say that if you keep below 3000 rpm like he uses, it should keep the machine cool enough and you wouldn't need to worry about the fan.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Fans can go up pretty high. You won't 'blow' the fans with the software because it only sets the limits within Apple's defined min and max speeds. A fan is just a motor, spinning it faster or slower won't really affect it's lifetime.

This guy reports that using 5000 rpm made the fan sound funny for a bit:

http://ocheex.blogspot.com/2007/07/smc-fan-control.html

but then it stopped.

I'd say that if you keep below 3000 rpm like he uses, it should keep the machine cool enough and you wouldn't need to worry about the fan.

That's good to know then. I'll crank em up a little bit when I get home.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    When was the last time you cleaned your Mac Pro? I recently opened mine up and went crazy with a can compressed air and got a good amount of dust out. I even found a layer of dust built up on the x1900 air intake area, severely limiting its ability to cool the card. (Sorta like a layer of dryer lint in the lint trap.) After picked it out the GPU fan worked a lot less hard.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

When was the last time you cleaned your Mac Pro? I recently opened mine up and went crazy with a can compressed air and got a good amount of dust out. I even found a layer of dust built up on the x1900 air intake area, severely limiting its ability to cool the card. (Sorta like a layer of dryer lint in the lint trap.) After picked it out the GPU fan worked a lot less hard.

I cleaned it before putting in my new card. I found a deep pile of dust in the intake of the old card, I'm guessing that's what made it eventually blow. I do a lot of 3D and video stuff so the gpu is always getting pushed. I'll open up the case everyone so often and get all the dirt out of there.