Remote Desktop/Terminal Services in XP Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=001279"; target="_blank">this</a> thread, it was mentioned that someone had mentioned this question here so I think that maybe I'll have more luck here.

Is there any way to allow multiple people to log into an XP Pro box under remote desktop. (this will be a compatibility box for me and a friend for windows programs that we might need, rather than share resources with VPC.) I just want to know if there is a way to allow more than one person to access remote desktop and how to do that. It was mentioned that I might need to set it up as an 'application server' but I don't know how to do that in XP Pro. Win2k Server asks you if you want to do that, but I don't know how to set up a terminal server on 2k Server. The box already has XP Pro installed and I don't want to have to re-install everything, for win2k server.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Create an account for each person you want to be able to remotely log in, select the Remote tab of the System Properties, press Select Remote Users, and then add them to the list of those authorized to log in. This should take care of it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I mean at the same time. I know that if you are logged in to the box from the monitor/keyboard that is attached to the box, it will log you out if you remotely connect. Is this only because you can't have someone connected locally while people are connected remotely? Or is this just because it is the same user? I just want to be able to have multiple users loged on simultaneously, doesn't matter if they have to have different login names, though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You will need to be running a Windows 2000 server with terminal services installed in application mode to run multiple sessions from the one box.

Tim
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tim Callaghan:

<strong>You will need to be running a Windows 2000 server with terminal services installed in application mode to run multiple sessions from the one box.

Tim</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? So if you are running Win2000 server, you can't goto an XP flavour and still have multiple simultaneous logins through RD?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tulkas:

<strong>

Really? So if you are running Win2000 server, you can't goto an XP flavour and still have multiple simultaneous logins through RD?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Using Remote Desktop and Share applications through Terminal Services are two completely different things?

Remote desktop lets you control the PC you are connected to as if you were there at that PC?

An App Sever on W2K with Terminal Services installed lets multiple clients use a signal app that is running off of the server. Basically, instead of seeing the whole desktop like you would in RD, you only see the App, as if it was on your PC.

You can use XP as a client but not as the App server. Terminal Services in W2K can be set up by going to add/remove programs, clicking on "Windows Components" and selecting "Terminal Services". It will then ask if you want Terminal Services to run in Admin mode (Remote Administration) or Application Mode.

Choose App mode, and make sure you have given the users "Remote" usage rights in Active Directory.

Hope this helps?

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>

make sure you have given the users "Remote" usage rights in Active Directory.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is if the W2K server is a member of a domain, or is in fact a DC itself. If its stand alone, do it through local user and computers.

Also remember that the RDP connection for terminal services also has it's own Access Control List associated with it, so you'll need to grant access there. But in app mode as far as I can remember Domain users and Users are given access.

Tim