Moving data with an ipod from pc to mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've read the article on the apple site, but is it really necessary to clear off all my songs? I'm not planning to move my ipod over to my mac right of the bat necessarily - my pc is in my bedroom and it is easier for me to check for new podcasts, etc every morning from there. I've got 17GB free on my ipod - my itunes folder is 8gb and I have 10gb of pictures to move, is there any reason not to set the ipod up for disk use and just move those in two shots and skip cleaning off/reformatting my ipod?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Not that I know of.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcblough View Post

I've read the article on the apple site, but is it really necessary to clear off all my songs? I'm not planning to move my ipod over to my mac right of the bat necessarily - my pc is in my bedroom and it is easier for me to check for new podcasts, etc every morning from there. I've got 17GB free on my ipod - my itunes folder is 8gb and I have 10gb of pictures to move, is there any reason not to set the ipod up for disk use and just move those in two shots and skip cleaning off/reformatting my ipod?

The only advantage I can think of for reformatting is that you can't update a pc formatted iPod on a mac. But if you still use your pc for iPod stuff... really no reason.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Just as an fyi, it'll work just switching it to a hardrive, itunes gripes at you wanting to reformat it and authorize itunes to the mac when you hook it up - if you just ignore it, it'll work. If you tell itunes to cancel out - it'll eject the ipod. I'm now debating whether or not to reformat my ipod to be a mac ipod. . .
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Don't forget to de-authorize your old computer before Authorizing on the Mac or reformatting/ throwing away your old computer.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Just as an fyi, it'll work just switching it to a hardrive, itunes gripes at you wanting to reformat it and authorize itunes to the mac when you hook it up - if you just ignore it, it'll work. If you tell itunes to cancel out - it'll eject the ipod. I'm now debating whether or not to reformat my ipod to be a mac ipod. . .

Try clicking "Manually Manage Music" on the PC side in the iPod config screen in iTunes before connecting the iPod to the Mac. This should allow you to add/remove songs to the iPod when connected to many many different computers. You won't have to reformat/wipe the existing iPod's library, though you *will* need to Authorize on the Mac (this is the iTunes thing not necessarily an iPod thing AFAIK)

Important, see these if you haven't yet:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61675 (good one with pictures)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61148
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Try clicking "Manually Manage Music" on the PC side in the iPod config screen in iTunes before connecting the iPod to the Mac. This should allow you to add/remove songs to the iPod when connected to many many different computers. You won't have to reformat/wipe the existing iPod's library, though you *will* need to Authorize on the Mac (this is the iTunes thing not necessarily an iPod thing AFAIK)

Important, see these if you haven't yet:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61675 (good one with pictures)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61148

I'm currenlty debating on moving my ipod over to my pc or moving it to my mac. I did copy over all my itunes data, but haven't reformatted the ipod yet. Part of me wants to b/c it is much faster than my old pc, but my current wireless router is 811b and is not as reliable as I'd like so I may wait until I upgrade that. Can I synch contacts and calendars on my ipod to ical and the contacts in mac?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I'm currenlty debating on moving my ipod over to my pc or moving it to my mac. I did copy over all my itunes data, but haven't reformatted the ipod yet. Part of me wants to b/c it is much faster than my old pc, but my current wireless router is 811b and is not as reliable as I'd like so I may wait until I upgrade that. Can I synch contacts and calendars on my ipod to ical and the contacts in mac?

yeah, just check the 'sync' button in the tabs that you want on each computer, and it should be fine.