Mobile penryn chips revealed, what's for Apple?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

Digitimes has just leaked the mobile penryn line-up for next year (linky)

Here's the breakdown:

2008 Q1 (800FSB penryn for Santa Rosa)

2.8GHz 6MB cache

2.6GHz 6MB cache

2.5GHz 6MB cache

2.4GHz 3MB cache

2.1GHz 3MB cache

2008 Q2 (1066FSB penryn for Montevina):

3.06GHz 6MB cache 35W

2.80GHz 6MB cache 35W

2.53GHz 6MB cache 35W

2.53GHz 3MB cache 25W

2.40GHz 3MB cache 25W

2.13GHz 3MB cache 25W

My guess is that Apple will wait until Montevina to update their MB, MBP, iMac and mini (if this one is still alive by then) with the following line-up:

3.06GHz 6MB cache 35W iMac 24", MBP 15", MBP 17"

2.80GHz 6MB cache 35W iMac 20", iMac 24", MBP 15"

2.53GHz 3MB cache 25W iMac 20", MB 13", MB(Pro) thin

2.40GHz 3MB cache 25W MB 13", Mac mini

2.13GHz 3MB cache 25W Mac mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    More likely Santa Rosa for the MacBooks and Montevina for the MacBook Pros I would think.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

More likely Santa Rosa for the MacBooks and Montevina for the MacBook Pros I would think.

That would be ideal to me. Having the Pro, and Consumer versions separated by processor again. It broke everything down better before, and I think it would make the non-pro macs even more affordable.

Where was I when the hammer flew?

Watching it, and Super Bowl like every one else.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That would be ideal to me. Having the Pro, and Consumer versions separated by processor again. It broke everything down better before, and I think it would make the non-pro macs even more affordable.

Now that Apple's with Intel, I don't think the processor really matters in differentiating between pro and consumer. I think Apple is starting to separate the differences based on features. At the very least this is why we don't have a 15 inch Macbook or a 13 inch MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Don't forget that Montavina will be declined in 4 versions:

- "Pro" PM and GM versions

- "Entry level" desktop and mobile GS and GL versions.

Quote:

Montevina's Cantiga PM and GM chipsets will be introduced in the second quarter 2008 and combined will account for around 20% of total shipments for the quarter. Meanwhile, PM and GM 965 chipsets will both see a drop of around 10 percentage points from their first quarter shipments proportions, falling to 20% and 40%, respectively.

Intel will also launch two further chipsets, Cantiga GS and Cantiga GL, in the third quarter. Cantiga GS will focus on the SFF (small form factor) desktop PC market, while Cantiga GL will target the value notebook market. All Cantiga chipsets will couple with the new ICH9M southbridge.

That would allow for a full range of mobile and hybrid computers using some sort of Montevina chipset and "montevina" cpus.

Since the GL/GS will only be available in Q3, here's how I guess it could happen:

Q1:

Santa Rosa MacBook+Mac mini using 2.1/2.4GHz 800FSB penryn cpus

Q2:

Montevina MacBook Pro+iMac using 2.53/2.80/3.06 1066FSB 35W penryn cpus (PM chipset)

Q3:

Montevina MacBook+Mac mini using 2.13/2.40/2.53GHz 25W penryn cpus (GL/GS chipset)

Redesigned thinner MacBooks

Q4:

Montevina MacBook Pro+iMac speedbump (quad-core penryn on the higher end models)

For the notebooks the differences would be:

- clock: 2.13-2.53 vs. 2.53-3.06/quad

- cache: 3MB vs. 6MB

- graphics: integrated vs. dedicated

- features: screen size, Expresscard slot, FW800, and maybe max. RAM (depending on the chipset)

Depending on the price of the cpus, it would be great for the MB to start again at $999 (and for the Mac mini to start again at $499). I agree also that there should be a bigger MB (15") at $1499 or so and a smaller MBP (12/13") at around $1799.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mjteix, although I wish that you were right, and the next cpu updates are going to be that impressive, I can't help but think that maybe you are being unrealistic with your expectations. Not saying that you are wrong, or I disagree, but just seems like a huge jump.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    thanks for the link, Q1 bit long way... NO?

mobile CPU hitting 3.0Ghz, woot!

it is more interesting for iMac, so they can put whatever the high end model available from intel.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

My guess is that Apple will wait until Montevina to update their MB, MBP, iMac and mini (if this one is still alive by then) with the following line-up:

3.06GHz 6MB cache 35W iMac 24", MBP 15", MBP 17"

2.80GHz 6MB cache 35W iMac 20", iMac 24", MBP 15"

2.53GHz 3MB cache 25W iMac 20", MB 13", MB(Pro) thin

2.40GHz 3MB cache 25W MB 13", Mac mini

2.13GHz 3MB cache 25W Mac mini

i like this specs, if Mac Mini goes 3.5" HDD that will be sweet!.

recently apple keep using the term AIO iMac, is it new or they are using it ever since iMac introduced, if it is new then xMac is there sometime.