...did i hear wrong? (Halo for Mac)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Did i hear wrong or was halo previewed a while ago to be brought to the mac? They showed it at a expo or somethign before but i have not seen it out. Is it out? If not, wat the heck is up with that?

[clarified thread title - Brad]

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yes, Halo was demoed back at MacWorld New York 1999. Three years ago.

But since Microsoft acquired Bungie and made them develop for XBox first, there has been little news on the Mac development. I read somewhere that an outside company had picked up the porting project, but I can't recall who that was.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    From IGN: [quote]Microsoft has announced that Halo for the PC and Mac will be making its way to the stores the summer of 2003 (at least for the PC, it is just 2003 for the Mac.) Why so long? Well they're reworking the thing that's why. Only it isn't Bungie that's doing it. The Macintosh version of Halo: Combat Evolved will be developed by Westlake Interactive and published by Destineer, which has brought other Microsoft games to the Macintosh including Age of Empires II and Links Championship Edition. Development of the Macintosh versions of Halo will occur simultaneously with the PC version of the game that is being developed by Gearbox.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 13
    derrick 61derrick 61 Posts: 178member
    Inside Mac Games lists it as Q2 2003
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Hasn't the HALO gameplay changed quite a bit from what was shown at the 1999 demo? I remember thinking it was pretty dang cool looking.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    is Halo available on the PC? i know squat about PC gaming.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>is Halo available on the PC? i know squat about PC gaming.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. It was the only vaguely compelling reason to purchase an X-Box so they will keep it X-Box only till the sales have dried up.

Even then PS2s have a far, far better range of games (and all of the ones that the X-Box gets are pretty much straight ports anyway).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    [quote] Hasn't the HALO gameplay changed quite a bit from what was shown at the 1999 demo? I remember thinking it was pretty dang cool looking.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it was going to be a totally revolutionary third person game, now it is just a very good first person shooter...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by i am monkey:

<strong>Hasn't the HALO gameplay changed quite a bit from what was shown at the 1999 demo? I remember thinking it was pretty dang cool looking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

for a 1999 game halo looks really impressive. i wish they released it by now, 3 yrs is a long time after showign a demo. Look i'm now a real member, no longer a junior member1

• Reply 9 of 13
    Congrats on the members status, Did microsft say they where going to release halo for the mac and pc at the SAME time? i wonder if apple`s little war with them will change that?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>

for a 1999 game halo looks really impressive. i wish they released it by now, 3 yrs is a long time after showign a demo. Look i'm now a real member, no longer a junior member1

</strong><hr></blockquote>

No doubt about waiting too long. It really was sad when Microsoft bought out Bungie. They were a pretty dang cool company for Mac games. Obviously a little too cool with Halo.

If I remember correctly the original demo was running off a G3 at the time. I bet when the game actaully hits the shelf it's gonna take a mighty G4 to run.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by i am monkey:

<strong>

No doubt about waiting too long. It really was sad when Microsoft bought out Bungie. They were a pretty dang cool company for Mac games. Obviously a little too cool with Halo.

If I remember correctly the original demo was running off a G3 at the time. I bet when the game actaully hits the shelf it's gonna take a mighty G4 to run.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only thing that would make Halo require a "mighty G4" to run would be if they added a complete new engine to it or added a butt-load more detail. The X-Box is only running a 733 Intel and it looks sweet enough. The time their spending on it right now is for porting it over, not rebuilding it. It's been rumored that they may be including a level-editor and a few other goodies, so that may explain the time frame a bit better.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by cyko95:

<strong>

The only thing that would make Halo require a "mighty G4" to run would be if they added a complete new engine to it or added a butt-load more detail. The X-Box is only running a 733 Intel and it looks sweet enough. The time their spending on it right now is for porting it over, not rebuilding it. It's been rumored that they may be including a level-editor and a few other goodies, so that may explain the time frame a bit better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When they ported GTA3 to the PC they spend lots of extra time redoing all the textures in *much* higher quality. They might do the same for both PC and Mac versions of Halo. I know that it looked good on the xBox but TV screen isn't as high res as a monitor is and you will need higher quality textures to make it look better on PCs and Macs

I'm sort of sad that MS purchased Bungie though. They made some great games.

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I already have Halo for the xbox but I'll buy it for the mac for one reason: ONLINE PLAY!!!!!!! That alone will kick as*!