Wired Aluminum Keyboard Problems (not F-keys)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm having problems with my new wired aluminum keyboard.

1. It will just stop working. If I then go to the System Profiler, it does not show up on the USB bus. If I unplug and plug it in a few times, it will reappear. It has done this twice in the three days I've had it.

2. This morning I had the "y" key stick while typing. I don't know if this is a hardware or USB issue, but "y" just started repeating like it was being held down. I tapped the key and it stopped; I've never had this issue on another keyboard - certainly not a new one.

My officemate at work reported he had a sticking key issue once, too.

If it continues to act up before my return period is up, I will return it.

- Jasen.

P.S. I also posted this message to Apple's support forums, but thought this group would be interested, too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    What machine is it plugged into and have you run the recent keyboard update?

Also is it plugged directly into a USB port, or via a hub?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    2006 17" Intel iMac.

Direct connect.

Yes, I've installed the keyboard update (all my function key work).

It's plugged into the same port and the same way the old white keyboard was.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm using mine under Debian Sid, Xorg 7.2 and KDE 3.5.7+. It runs like a champ. The iBook G4 works just fine with it as well. I'm looking forward to getting one when the next revisions of Mac Pros arrive for me to purchase, and another Linux box I purchase.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I tried the new aluminum iMac keyboard at the Apple Store this week. It's awful. I'm a touch typist and I can't tell where my fingers are relative to the home row.

I'm still waiting for the IBM AT keyboard to return to computers -- those full size keys and positive clicks are the BMW 7-series of keyboards.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Why don't you take it into the Apple store, check it out. They will replace it if it is defective.

We have two of these keyboards. One on a G5 imac and the other on a G3 iMac. Flawless on both. I type faster on this keyboard as compared to the previous one that came with the G5. Awesome keyboard in my opinion. I'm thinking about getting one for work and putting it on a PC.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

I'm still waiting for the IBM AT keyboard to return to computers -- those full size keys and positive clicks are the BMW 7-series of keyboards.

That car is just too big!!!

Not only is a BMW 7-Series too big for a car, it's way way too big for a computer keyboard. You would have to be a giant to make use of a computer keyboard the size of a BMW 7-Series automobile.

Arguably, a Z4 convertible would make a nice keyboard, but even that would be a little large, primarily because it too is designed to transport people rather than serve as a computer interface.

On the other hand, while I kind of like the new Apple keyboard, I don't think it would make a very good car. I suppose you could mod it with an engine and some wheels, but even then,
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Why don't you take it into the Apple store, check it out. They will replace it if it is defective.

That will be my next step. I'm just trying to gather anecdotal evidence of whether others are having hardware-type issues. This place is filled with early adopters, so I figured it's a good place to ask.

Quote:

We have two of these keyboards. One on a G5 imac and the other on a G3 iMac. Flawless on both. I type faster on this keyboard as compared to the previous one that came with the G5. Awesome keyboard in my opinion. I'm thinking about getting one for work and putting it on a PC.

I think I've lost mine to my wife. I was planning to take it into work to attach to my Windows machine, but gave the wife a chance to try it, and saw how it fits in my home environment. She likes it.

Time to shell out another $50 to get one for work.

- Jasen.

P.S. I touch type, too (Dvorak key layout for me). And I don't have any trouble telling where my fingers are. The reference dots on the "F" and "J" keys work just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I have major problems with the new keyboard, probably because the keys are flat and don't have indentations for your fingers as do most keyboards, and key travel and touch also suck. Piano playing is all about touch and tone, so is computer keyboard typing.

Time to load up on the previous version of apple keyboards before they are sold out and all that's available are the chicklet-keys on this new crappy keyboard. Must be a huge cost saver to make a tiny, cruddy keyboard. Reminds me of the Commodore PET computer with little square flat keys, you couldn't type on that either.

• Reply 9 of 11
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I have major problems with the new keyboard, probably because the keys are flat and don't have indentations for your fingers as do most keyboards, and key travel and touch also suck.

I like the new keyboard because it does not have large clunky keys. I never really felt the need for indentations to memorize where keys are. If you know the QWERY keyboard you know where the letters are. But the indentations of different keyboards aren't even the same to use that as an absolute way to memorize the keyboard.

I felt the new keyboard was light and easy to use.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    The new keyboard is also similar to this piece of junk built by IBM for its "pc junior"

• Reply 11 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killerapp View Post

The new keyboard is also similar to this piece of junk built by IBM for its "pc junior"

What? Did you forget the sarcasm button?