So now that you lucky ones have had time to use the iphone can i ask what the battery

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi iphone users. I was curious as to how accurate to apples spec si the iphone battery. Does it last a full day?

If i were to watch say 40mins of video and listen to maybe 30mins of music in a day would the iphone still make it through the whole day without a top up charge? Or will i be looking at getting a seperate charger for work?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Hi iphone users. I was curious as to how accurate to apples spec si the iphone battery. Does it last a full day?

If i were to watch say 40mins of video and listen to maybe 30mins of music in a day would the iphone still make it through the whole day without a top up charge? Or will i be looking at getting a seperate charger for work?

Thanks

I'll get a full day, usually have to recharge it overnight. However, just using phone, limited SMS and occassional browsing, I can go a 1 1/2.

Frankly, the battery is not really the issue with the iPhone. It's better than similarly equipped high-end Nokia phones by some margin.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I use it frequently, and charge it every 2 days. This doesn't include movies, as I usually save those for plane trips, etc. I would also say the battery is not an issue with this phone. I love this thing.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Good to know. If there is one constant criticism of most high end phones these days its that the battery life is never good enough.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I use mine for about 30-45 mins of talk time, 15 minutes of email, brief weather and stock updates, and SMS text messaging (about 10 messages/day) plus 5-10 minutes of web surfing daily. I charge mine every night, and when I charge it, the battery is usually at 50-75% capacity (usually in the 75% range).

I use the Apple Bluetooth earpiece for almost all of my conversations in the car, which is primarily when I talk on my iPhone.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the battery life as compared to my Motorola RAZR. I had to charge my RAZR every night. If I didn't, it was guaranteed to go dead the next day. This includes after replacing the battery.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    The battery was one of my biggest initail concerns but im glad thats not an issue. Just out of curiosity what quality are the standard iphone headphones like on a scale of 1 to 10?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The battery was one of my biggest initail concerns but im glad thats not an issue. Just out of curiosity what quality are the standard iphone headphones like on a scale of 1 to 10?

If are you easy to please then I'd say you'd rate them an 8 or 9 out of 10.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

No need for dedicated charger. Just get $10-20 Dock-to-USB cable and use the work computer to charge. It doesn't matter what kind of computer (and don't need to install anything)... all you need is its USB port. If you don't have computer at work, iPhone comes with a charger (you will still need an extra Dock-to-USB cable) so you can use that to charge iPhone at the office and use the Dock and computer to charge iPhone at home.

As for the battery life, my heaviest usage was 2-3 hours of browsing and email, Bluetooth headset during phone calls (about 1-1.5 hours), and 1-1.5 hours video playback. It was on battery power from 8 am to 8 pm -- it held onto the last bit of battery power, but it survived. For lighter usage, I can go 1.5 to 2.5 days. That said, iPhone will probably change how you use the phone, so charging overnight may become regular.

Quote:

About 3 if you are used to Etymotic and 5 if you are coming from Sony MDR-EX. Overall, the sound is thin and lacks warm depth, but it is listenable. Unfortunately, it is missing much needed cable management which iPod's earphone had. Audio wise, it's more or less the same as iPod's earphone, although it sounds a bit thinner to me.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I'll get a full day, usually have to recharge it overnight. However, just using phone, limited SMS and occassional browsing, I can go a 1 1/2.

Frankly, the battery is not really the issue with the iPhone. It's better than similarly equipped high-end Nokia phones by some margin.

Whoa, I didn't realize the battery was that bad. I charge my Nokia 9300 about once a week, It has also big screen, and also a small one. Given I don't talk too much, but still I consider week to bee satisfactory. Last friday when I got to work, I realized I had only the battery icon left(Phone has seven blocks+battery icon gauge) and I still managed to get through that day and about 15 relatively short phone calls.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Thats quite good imo. When I had the N95 I sometimes had to charge it 2 times during the day. Now I have an n93i and its slightly better but i have had times where its just dropped from nowhere.

Thanks for taking the time to answer peeps.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    When I first got the device I wasn't impressed with my battery life. I wasn't getting nearly the amount of hours that I was reading about online. At this time I had my brightness set at almost full.

The biggest battery saver I've found is not jacking up the brightness.

I started playing around with it and I have to say that the brightness feature on this phone is a little strange. The auto-brightness isn't fully automatic, that is, you still set the bar to where you like your brightness and it auto-adjusts from there. It's kind of like you set a standard for how you like it in current light and the iPhone adjusts when light changes. It's not like it takes complete control of the brightness.

Now I keep my brightness at 1/3 full and my battery life is great. Right now my battery is at about 60 or 70% with 3 hours of use & 15 hours on standby. During the day I don't even notice the difference in brightness. It's only when I get in very dim places that I might turn it up a little.

Anyway, my 2¢.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I've had the iPhone since Day One:

With Bluetooth and wifi turned off, and only turned on when needed:

I can listen to about four albums, watch a two hour movie, make 60 minutes worth of calls, check my e-mail automatically every 15 minutes, and send a dozen sms messages (a typical day of travel with the phone) and still have 20 to 30 percent charge left at the end of the day.

I have had ZERO worries about the battery making it through even a heavy-usage day, unlike my older Samsung Blackjack which would make it through about an hour and a half of heavy usage before needing to be rescharged.

No problems.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I don't make many calls, maybe 3-4 a day for a total of 10 minutes, but I do use the iPod function for 8+ hours along with about 30 min google reader use on wi-fi. I also take about 10-15 pictures a day.

As long as I turn off the wi-fi when not in use, i usually have much more than 3/4 battery left at the end of the day after this limited use. I think its pretty fabulous for ease of use and battery life. I also keep the bluetooth off and screen brightness to auto.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RonAnnArbor View Post

I've had the iPhone since Day One:

With Bluetooth and wifi turned off, and only turned on when needed:

I can listen to about four albums, watch a two hour movie, make 60 minutes worth of calls, check my e-mail automatically every 15 minutes, and send a dozen sms messages (a typical day of travel with the phone) and still have 20 to 30 percent charge left at the end of the day.

I have had ZERO worries about the battery making it through even a heavy-usage day, unlike my older Samsung Blackjack which would make it through about an hour and a half of heavy usage before needing to be rescharged.

No problems.

Why don't you receive calls on your iPhone?

You let all of your calls go to voicemail. Why?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I think you're a bit confused.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Huh? The calls come in as they ring...I've never used bluetooth in my life, nor do I plan on ever doing so...and wifi doesn't turn off your phone calls!

I'm not sure what the fuss was about.

On the other hand, it is true that I rarely answer any cellphone, not just my iPhone, and I do indeed let everything go to voicemail -- basically cause I don't want anyone to bother me -- if I feel like checking their calls, I will, otherwise people can call me at work 9 - 5 monday through friday.

But turning off Bluetooth and Wifi does not affect anything with your phone settings.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

On the other hand, it is true that I rarely answer any cellphone, not just my iPhone, and I do indeed let everything go to voicemail -- basically cause I don't want anyone to bother me -- if I feel like checking their calls, I will, otherwise people can call me at work 9 - 5 monday through friday.

But turning off Bluetooth and Wifi does not affect anything with your phone settings.

I realize that bluetooth and wifi do not affect phone settings. No need to invoke a grumbling emoticon. I was more interested in why you never answer your phone. On one hand, you are a communicative fellow. On the other, you do not answer your phone. On one hand, you love your iPhone. On the other, you do not answer your phone. Are you a paradoxically phonephobic technophile?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

I realize that bluetooth and wifi do not affect phone settings. No need to invoke a grumbling emoticon. I was more interested in why you never answer your phone. On one hand, you are a communicative fellow. On the other, you do not answer your phone. On one hand, you love your iPhone. On the other, you do not answer your phone. Are you a paradoxically phonephobic technophile?

LOL !!!

No, I don't want anyone to reach me when I don't want them to. I'll call them if I want to. Nobody has my cellphone number and all outgoing calls have blocked caller ID. In general, I don't want people to reach me. I love my iPhone -- but because it has an iPod inside it, not because I want people to call me on it all day long.

I might be somewhat communicative when I want to be, but not when YOU want me to be
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Huh? The calls come in as they ring...I've never used bluetooth in my life, nor do I plan on ever doing so...and wifi doesn't turn off your phone calls!

I'm not sure what the fuss was about.

I don't think I would call you at all if you never answered your cell when somebody called. Your attitude of not answering calls on your cell sounds kind of self-righteous. If you don't want people with whom you work calling you, then don't give them your cell number.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I don't think I would call you at all if you never answered your cell when somebody called. Your attitude of not answering calls on your cell sounds kind of self-righteous. If you don't want people with whom you work calling you, then don't give them your cell number.

Since when did choosing how one deals with incoming calls become "self righteous"?
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

LOL !!!

No, I don't want anyone to reach me when I don't want them to. I'll call them if I want to. Nobody has my cellphone number and all outgoing calls have blocked caller ID. In general, I don't want people to reach me. I love my iPhone -- but because it has an iPod inside it, not because I want people to call me on it all day long.

I might be somewhat communicative when I want to be, but not when YOU want me to be

I gathered that, and was simply curious.

I don't mean to pry, and I am certainly not judging!

Do you have a professional need to control access?

Is it simply preference?

What is your reason?

I am a cat and thus curious by nature.