buying speakers for college

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hey, I dont know much about pc speakers nowadays because ive always been running my sound through my stereo receiver and speakers but theres no way im lugging them around to my college dorm. So, im a pretty big audiophile, and I want nice speakers, but not CRAZY expensive. Obviously the kid would need to include a sub and whatnot. So any suggestions? I was gonna newegg but I leave in 2 days so im just gonna go check staples or best buy or something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Logitech Z-2300. $89 from Amazon, pretty sure they have them at Best Buy.

The usual inexpensive 2.1 computer speaker system produces thumpy base and tinny highs (as befits the standard tiny satellites and mediocre driver on the mediocre sub enclosure), but for the money the Logitechs actually delivers something like neutral reproduction across the frequency range. I say "something like" since a ninety dollar powered speaker set obviously isn't going to compete with more expensive stand alone systems.

They also get reasonably loud without excessive distortion, another area a lot of the competition falls down-- sounding OK up to a point and then completely blowing up when driven hard.

The sub enclosure is a little on the biggish side, and Logitech has this dumb thing where they have the satellite speaker wire emerge directly from the box and terminate in RCAs, so if you need longer speaker wire you have to get a female to male RCA cable extension, but if the stock length works for you it makes set up instantaneous.

EDIT: Just took a quick look around, Best Buy doesn't seem to carry them but Circuit City does, at a little over $100.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Logitech Z-2300. $89 from Amazon, pretty sure they have them at Best Buy.

The usual inexpensive 2.1 computer speaker system produces thumpy base and tinny highs (as befits the standard tiny satellites and mediocre driver on the mediocre sub enclosure), but for the money the Logitechs actually delivers something like neutral reproduction across the frequency range. I say "something like" since a ninety dollar powered speaker set obviously isn't going to compete with more expensive stand alone systems.

They also get reasonably loud without excessive distortion, another area a lot of the competition falls down-- sounding OK up to a point and then completely blowing up when driven hard.

The sub enclosure is a little on the biggish side, and Logitech has this dumb thing where they have the satellite speaker wire emerge directly from the box and terminate in RCAs, so if you need longer speaker wire you have to get a female to male RCA cable extension, but if the stock length works for you it makes set up instantaneous.

EDIT: Just took a quick look around, Best Buy doesn't seem to carry them but Circuit City does, at a little over $100.

thanks, maybe ill check then out. I used to have EV speakers for my pc and they sounded PHENOMENAL. I got them on discount for $60 from somewhere around $200 because they had faulty wires....and within 2 years the wires went...so I threw em out...but yeah thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    The JBL Spot is a decent setup. I've had this for a bit over a month now - absolutely no regrets.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

The JBL Spot is a decent setup. I've had this for a bit over a month now - absolutely no regrets.

I just bought these, Im gonna set em up tomorrow. Ill tell you how they fare.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

Klipsch... they should be pretty good.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

I was stuck between the Klipsch, the Spot and the Creative. However, I have previously owned the Creature and am now a die-hard fan of JBL for budget (~$100) speakers!

Hence my decision to go with the Spot.

If I was making much more than what I currently do, I would have probably gone for the B&O just for the wow-factor!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    For 2.1 speakers I'd have gone with Acoustic Energy Aego M. 150EUR for Brits, can't be very expensive in the US either. Computer speakers that snag a hifi magazine award for being best active speakers in their price class? Count me in.