iPod supply dwindles as likely Apple event nears

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A rumored September 5th special event that would bring new iPods is becoming increasingly likely after checks with multiple sources, AppleInsider has learned.

A verification of the claims from Ars Technica regarding the occasion suggests that Apple has indeed committed to holding the event on the specified date, barring unforeseen circumstances. The presentation is being held on a Wednesday, rather than Apple's habitual Monday or Tuesday, in order to accommodate the Labor Day weekend.

While the list of what would be released at the event is less certain, the report points to at least one new iPod being announced during the event. AppleInsider's own sources maintain that supplies of fifth-generation iPods and iPod nanos have been extremely low or non-existent at high-profile dealers, including Best Buy. This was a strong sign that Apple was clearing channel inventory ahead of completely new replacements, the insiders said.

Recent reports from these sources add that stock of the music players won't be replenished for at least another two weeks, which coincides with the immediate aftermath of the probable Apple event.

And while most of the details of the iPods themselves are unknown, people familiar with the late summer iPod updates claim that as many as four iPod models could be made available within coming weeks, the majority of which would be based on NAND flash memory rather than the hard disks used in fifth-generation models. The direct replacements for the fifth-generation iPod and the iPod nano are said to rely on a heavily modified version of Mac OS X.

Recently, alleged images of the model expected to replace the iPod nano have circulated the web, revealing what appears to be a widened second-generation iPod nano with a larger screen, softer versions of today's nano shell colors, and tapered edges. In most cases, the images have since been pulled at the request of Apple's legal team, though the accuracy of the images is still in dispute.

Investigations into other potential candidates for the September 5th announcements hint at a possible expansion of licenses for iTunes content outside the US, but were unconfirmed as of press time. Apple had promised to deliver movies and other video content to iTunes Stores outside the US sometime in 2007.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    I can confirm the most recent Best Buy Canada flyer has the 60 gig iPod on sale as "Final Clearance". Hmm...
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Am I the only one who thinks there might be a convergence of the iPod and the iPod nano?
  • Reply 3 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Am I the only one who thinks there might be a convergence of the iPod and the iPod nano?

Yes.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    if movies and TV are released on ITMS.ca, I'll eat my own bitTorrent
  • Reply 5 of 62
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    dmbfan:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the 60GB iPod was discontinued in late 2006, when the 80GB model replaced it. Unless you mistyped.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Well, if they switch to all flash memory, I wouldn't be as surprised.

I think it would be odd to have 4-8 gig nanos and 8-16 gig iPods even if there is a diffference in screen size...

But I don't think they will drop all of their HDD options. Just don't see it yet.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    able-xable-x Posts: 12member
    I just hope Best Buy runs out of current 30GB's so I can break mine and turn it in for a new one..gotta love that warranty
  • Reply 8 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Those links to the image mockups, those mockups look really really ugly. To me anyway... But yeah w000t new iPods week after next.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Recently, alleged images of the model expected to replace the iPod nano have circulated the web, revealing what appears to be a widened second-generation iPod nano with a larger screen, softer versions of today's nano shell colors, and tapered edges. In most cases, the images have since been pulled at the request of Apple's legal team, though the accuracy of the images is still in dispute....

They seem too "fat" somehow, for a "nano".
  • Reply 10 of 62
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Ultra-portable notebook anyone?...

Anyone?!
  • Reply 11 of 62
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    My prediction:

nanos: no change except a price drop perhaps

New flash-based "stubby" iPod video with click-wheel and improved interface (8GB, 16GB)

New "iPod Touch" - flash-based touch-screen design similar to the iPhone, with Wi-Fi. Runs on OS X. (16GB, 32GB) Has the ability to stream content via LAN from your iTunes library, thus acting as a portable Apple TV. The iPhone gets the same streaming feature via an update.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk View Post

Ultra-portable notebook anyone?...

Anyone?!

There's a greater chance that aliens will spring up from the ground like sunflowers.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    The new iPod nano wont be a "wider" version but a "shorter" version. It just looks wider. So the new nano will be about 3/4 the height of the old nano.

This of course is based strictly on the circulating photos...
  • Reply 14 of 62
    I don't think the current photos are accurate.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

My prediction:

nanos: no change except a price drop perhaps

New flash-based "stubby" iPod video with click-wheel and improved interface (8GB, 16GB)

New "iPod Touch" - flash-based touch-screen design similar to the iPhone, with Wi-Fi. Runs on OS X. (16GB, 32GB) Has the ability to stream content via LAN from your iTunes library, thus acting as a portable Apple TV. The iPhone gets the same streaming feature via an update.

While agree that the the new Nanos will probably keep the same form factor, there is no way in hell that a Video iPod will have a max 32GB capacity at double the pricepoint of an 80GB HDD iPod. Does that really make sense to you? HDD based devices are not dead! The only way for Apple to make large capacity Video iPods is to use HDDs.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    those rumored shorter iPods look like fat-kid Zunes. Ack.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    That nano picture makes me sick to my stomach. Here are 6 reasons it is fake.

1. The lighting is wrong, check out the shadows and light on the iPod, it is the same iPod cut and rotated (and of course the color has been changed using the Hue slider). Apple does not cut and rotate, and if they did, they certainly wouldn't suck at it. This leads me to believe it is fake.

2. Aesthetically speaking it is a failure of design. Apple doesn't make ugly things.

3. The file on top reads nano-flower.psd @ 100%. .psd as we know is a photoshop file. More proof of an altered image.

4. Why take a photo of a screen? Why not just take a screen capture? "Oh oh, because someone sneaked into apple corporate, and took a picture of a poor iPod flower arrangement with their camera phone!"

5. Apple is all about making statements. Steve always talks about the beauty of his products. He uses anodized aluminum because of how bright he can make the iPods. Why tone them down? It is a poor mistake.

5 1/2. Flowers are synonymous with bright colors, and engaging form. Apple WOULD NOT use a flower pattern to show off toned down iPods. Toned down iPods might be targeted at an older demographic. In this case you wouldn't market using a flower pattern anyway!

• Reply 18 of 62
    Short reply to the "it's fake" crowd:

Apple's lawyers usually only ask multiple sites to pull down the shots if they're legit. It's not always true that they'll ask if it's real (see the iMac keyboard), but if a C&D notice is sent, you know it's real.

The real question is, was this a work-in-progress file or something else that would make it hard to know if what we were seeing was what we would get?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I reworked the 6G iPod, right.

This isn't a replacement for the nano, just for the iPod. On the left is my idea for a true video iPod.
  • Reply 20 of 62
    I just recently visited my local Target... 1 ipod in the case left.