Would apple ever make a home server?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Probably not, but I think it would be nice if they put:



Airport Extreme, ~4 hard drives, and TV out into a relatively small box.



Not really a server with computational power(home users don't need that), but more of a File server/internet/media center



Like the Airport, Apple TV, and external storage rolled into one.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    You can have relatively cheap network attached storage right now from other vendors I think. Plug into Airport Extreme to get 802.11n and you should be alright..?



    I think the storage server would be a sensible part of Apple lineup as long as they persist in using laptop parts only, making computers with only one HD slot, and HD's difficult to swap.



    But whether it would be in demand enough to turn a profit, dunno.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,554member
    In a perfect world. Yes.. may be an Apple NAS, True Gigbit ethernet performance with Intel 's new SoC.

    The size of Apple TV only with 6 HD fit into its cube shape form.



    Thie would allow all Leopard user on the network to have timemachine storing backup on it.

    itunes server allow sharing music with everyone in the family.



    But it would have the problem of user insertable Hard Disc. I dont think apple like this idea.



    And USB disc into Airport Extreme is not a solution since it is VERY slow.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post




    And USB disc into Airport Extreme is not a solution since it is VERY slow.



    Could you provide a reference. My searches show up information on the initial Airport Extreme and the 10/100 Ethernet. The Airport Extreme was updated with gigabit and in theory it should be relatively fast for hardwired machines and as fast as available for wireless.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlconR View Post


    Probably not, but I think it would be nice if they put:



    ...



    Home server, media server, etc. are marketing terms, not computers. Virtually any Mac can be used as a server. Install MacOS X Server or not. Load the files you want and make them available to other users. You have your server.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Home server, media server, etc. are marketing terms, not computers. Virtually any Mac can be used as a server. Install MacOS X Server or not. Load the files you want and make them available to other users. You have your server.



    Yes, you are correct but do I really want a Mac Pro running as a home server? There is a energy efficiency that is missing in this solution. Having a 1200 watt power supply on standby to provide media files is overkill? A router is a specialized computer and most of us are willing to let a router run 24/7.



    A good home server is going to be a compromise between speed and power. I think an Airport Express (gigabit ethernet) and some USB 2.0 drives (Newer?) sounds like an interesting solution and I wish somebody would test it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverdog View Post


    Yes, you are correct but do I really want a Mac Pro running as a home server? There is a energy efficiency that is missing in this solution. Having a 1200 watt power supply on standby to provide media files is overkill? A router is a specialized computer and most of us are willing to let a router run 24/7.



    Um, try a Mac mini with Mac OS X Server installed. There's your compromise, complete with USB and FireWire, as well as Gig-E.



    Quote:

    A good home server is going to be a compromise between speed and power. I think an Airport Express (gigabit ethernet) and some USB 2.0 drives (Newer?) sounds like an interesting solution and I wish somebody would test it.



    Please read above for an even better solution.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    [QUOTE=Karelia;1132516]Um, try a Mac mini with Mac OS X Server installed. There's your compromise, complete with USB and FireWire, as well as Gig-E.



    Over $500 dollars versus $179, no 802.11n for the wireless backups and more power usage than a Airport Extreme. If you already own a Mac mini then it is the perfect solution but if you don't own a mini then the Airport Extreme is probably the better solution.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverdog View Post


    Over $500 dollars versus $179, no 802.11n for the wireless backups and more power usage than a Airport Extreme. If you already own a Mac mini then it is the perfect solution but if you don't own a mini then the Airport Extreme is probably the better solution.



    Except its not. A home media server with 4 silent drive bays, ZFS Raid-Z and a 802.11N router built with an aTV class CPU is about perfect for a iNAS. Enough horsepower to run iiTunes and the ability to feed aTVs and Macs around the house via 802.11n without needing a full up Mac if all you want to do is feed aTVs.



    A home server with the above specs but with a Mini class CPU that would run iMovie and iPhoto would be a nice Mini replacement. A GMA X3100 vs GMA950 would be nice too.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Except its not. A home media server with 4 silent drive bays, ZFS Raid-Z and a 802.11N router built with an aTV class CPU is about perfect for a iNAS. Enough horsepower to run iiTunes and the ability to feed aTVs and Macs around the house via 802.11n without needing a full up Mac if all you want to do is feed aTVs.



    A home server with the above specs but with a Mini class CPU that would run iMovie and iPhoto would be a nice Mini replacement. A GMA X3100 vs GMA950 would be nice too.



    Will Apple build that? No. It would be too expensive and specialized to sell over 100,000 units.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silverdog View Post


    Will Apple build that? No. It would be too expensive and specialized to sell over 100,000 units.



    Too expensive too add a built in 4 bay enclosure to the mini? I support an eSATA port might be an adequate alternative but means more wires around the mini.



    Perhaps the 802.11N router would be better off left out to promote aitport extreme sales.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Except its not. A home media server with 4 silent drive bays, ZFS Raid-Z and a 802.11N router built with an aTV class CPU is about perfect for a iNAS. Enough horsepower to run iiTunes and the ability to feed aTVs and Macs around the house via 802.11n without needing a full up Mac if all you want to do is feed aTVs.



    A home server with the above specs but with a Mini class CPU that would run iMovie and iPhoto would be a nice Mini replacement. A GMA X3100 vs GMA950 would be nice too.



    Wow, I acutally agree with you, that would be awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,256member
    My ideal Apple Home Server (AHS) would have these features.



    Hardware:

    • 3 Hotswap SATA drive bays.

    • 4 RAM slots

    • 2 Gigabit ports

    • Integrated GPU

    • Dual Core Wolfsdale or Quad Core Yorkfield.

    • DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray burner options.

    • Firewire and USB 2.0 ports

    • 11n wireless

    Fairly basic, nothing out of the ordinary. Servers need to be reliable over sexy. The power comes with the software.



    Mac OS X Home Server edition

    • 10 client support

    • iLife Server (iPhoto, iMovie servers)

    • iTunes Server

    • iCal Server Home Edition

    • Mail Server Home Edition

    • Print Server Home Edition

    • Roaming Profiles



    Will Apple have to do this? Of course they will. If Microsoft sees the advantage of delivering a Home Server to consumers then Apple cannot be too far behind. The management duties become very difficult when each household computer is just another data silo with limited connectivity. If consumers can set up wireless networks then they are ready to take the next step towards centralized storage of some data.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ksecksec Posts: 1,554member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    My ideal Apple Home Server (AHS) would have these features.



    Hardware:

    • 3 Hotswap SATA drive bays.

    • 4 RAM slots

    • 2 Gigabit ports

    • Integrated GPU

    • Dual Core Wolfsdale or Quad Core Yorkfield.

    • DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray burner options.

    • Firewire and USB 2.0 ports

    • 11n wireless

    Fairly basic, nothing out of the ordinary. Servers need to be reliable over sexy. The power comes with the software.



    Mac OS X Home Server edition

    • 10 client support

    • iLife Server (iPhoto, iMovie servers)

    • iTunes Server

    • iCal Server Home Edition

    • Mail Server Home Edition

    • Print Server Home Edition

    • Roaming Profiles



    Will Apple have to do this? Of course they will. If Microsoft sees the advantage of delivering a Home Server to consumers then Apple cannot be too far behind. The management duties become very difficult when each household computer is just another data silo with limited connectivity. If consumers can set up wireless networks then they are ready to take the next step towards centralized storage of some data.



    Why GPU? Why the need for Quad Core? Why RAM slot? And Why 3 HD Slot but not 4?

    I am thinking you want some sort of distributed computer build into the Home Server?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    Why GPU? Why the need for Quad Core? Why RAM slot? And Why 3 HD Slot but not 4?

    I am thinking you want some sort of distributed computer build into the Home Server?



    Airdisk = home server of sorts...



    Anybody with the need to create a home server would know how to get one/make one without Apple's help.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post


    Why GPU? Why the need for Quad Core? Why RAM slot? And Why 3 HD Slot but not 4?

    I am thinking you want some sort of distributed computer build into the Home Server?



    real servers have low end video on board video chips with there own ram.
Sign In or Register to comment.