Do you like the new iMac's glossy screen?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, this question is geared towards people who actually seen the new iMac face to face - Do you like its new glossy screen? (or maybe you prefer it would be matte?)

BTW:

A friend of mine told me that CRT monitors are always "glossy" - is it true? Does it mean that if I currently have a CRT monitor, the new iMac won't be any more reflective?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 13
    lirandlirand Posts: 174member

This ain't the same poll. The one you posted is some general "do you like glossy screens?" poll (where people who have never seen the iMac or even never seen a glossy screen can freely answer), whereas mine is geared towards people who actually used the iMac...

Plus I would love if someone answers the question I posted above: is it true that all CRT screens are glossy?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    CRT screens are glossy by nature, but they often have an anti-reflective coating applied.

You're essentially taking something that's glossy by nature, glass, and applying a coating to try an minimise its reflectiveness. You than start to get in to a balancing act between how accurate the output of the screen is, and how matte it is.

A lot of the professional colour matching CRTs had VERY glossy screens, with minimal anti-reflective coatings, and instead employed physical anti-reflective measures like hoods. The operator would then sit in a darkened room, hunched over the screen with his head inside the hood.

If you want true colour matching, that's where you have to go. Anything else is a compromise.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    You might want to clarify the question as people who have sat directly in front of the iMac. I've noticed that people standing around the iMac will see the glares much better and assume the person directly in front of the iMac is seeing the same glare.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

CRT screens are glossy by nature, but they often have an anti-reflective coating applied.

You're essentially taking something that's glossy by nature, glass, and applying a coating to try an minimise its reflectiveness. You than start to get in to a balancing act between how accurate the output of the screen is, and how matte it is.

A lot of the professional colour matching CRTs had VERY glossy screens, with minimal anti-reflective coatings, and instead employed physical anti-reflective measures like hoods. The operator would then sit in a darkened room, hunched over the screen with his head inside the hood.

If you want true colour matching, that's where you have to go. Anything else is a compromise.

Does the new iMac have any anti-reflective stuff on it?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

This ain't the same poll. The one you posted is some general "do you like glossy screens?" poll (where people who have never seen the iMac or even never seen a glossy screen can freely answer), whereas mine is geared towards people who actually used the iMac...

Plus I would love if someone answers the question I posted above: is it true that all CRT screens are glossy?

Actually the title of that thread I posted is "iMac: Glossy or Matte - Which Would You Prefer?

So yeah, this is the same exact thread.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Actually the title of that thread I posted is "iMac: Glossy or Matte - Which Would You Prefer?

So yeah, this is the same exact thread.

But it doesn't mean that people have actually seen the monitor...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand View Post

But it doesn't mean that people have actually seen the monitor...

because the imac's glossy screen is sooo much different than other glossy screens

just face it, they're both referring to the new iMacs
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha View Post

because the imac's glossy screen is sooo much different than other glossy screens

just face it, they're both referring to the new iMacs

I wish you were right... but different glossy screen have different coatings and different anti-reflective measures... if the new iMac was as glossy as my current CRT there was no problem whatsoever, but it seems "more glossy" than other screens...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I think this is essentially the same thread as the one I started. Since the current iMac doesn't come in a matte screen, then the question of this applying only to an iMac is irrelevant.

The question boils down to the same one asked before: do you prefer glossy or matte?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

I think this is essentially the same thread as the one I started. Since the current iMac doesn't come in a matte screen, then the question of this applying only to an iMac is irrelevant.

The question boils down to the same one asked before: do you prefer glossy or matte?

I didn't want people who haven't seen/used the iMac to participate in this poll. I don't think it was clear enough on your thread. But I'm getting tired of this arguement...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Is it possible to put a mat cover over the new iMac to reduce glare?

Also are the new iMac Screens 6 or 8 bit color?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    so i got my brand new imac about a week ago, and the screen is bright enough to pretty much reduce any glare you will see. like i guess its noticable a bit when it is off and when you are looking at a dark photo, but even then its only if you focus on the glare. its a great screen thought. especially when its sooooo big :P