A letter to Steve Jobs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Dear Steve,

If you want the iphone to be accepted and bought by the corporate world, then having an iphone with multiple "lines" would be most useful. By doing that, then many landline phones could/would be eliminated.

Thank you,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I see in the article that the iphone is being accepted by some in the corporate world, but I didn't see mention of a multi-line cell phone.... did I miss something ?

The point is that a multi-line cell phone (iphone) would be of greater use by many, many more people. Any cell phone maker/carrier would increase sells dramatically , I believe, if this option were to be introduced. I only suggest this to Steve Jobs since he is typically "ahead of the curve"

Since the iphone is bascially a computer you can take with you, why not eliminate the "bricks and mortar" office all together, and have a multiple line phone you can take with you as well.

Just imagine.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I guess I fail to understand the point.

You can only alk on one line at a time ... if you want to conference people together, you can already do that with your single line.

You can already have calls to your "office" forwarded to your cell, or from home... in effect, all those numbers can be received on your iPhone (or any cell) already.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Multi-line cell iPhones will never happen. There isn't enough need for them to see a multi-line iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Multi-line cell iPhones will never happen. There isn't enough need for them to see a multi-line iPhone.

I would have to agree with Doc on that one, there aint much need. Besides why write a letter to Steve Jobs about that when you have got so much more to talk about...

* No ability to send multiple SMS

* No ability to disable wireless data

* No ability to change the battery for those long business trips

* No secure email ala Blackberry

* No ability for a business to actually buy a 100 phones on a corporate account

* No AT&T contracts for business on the iPhone

These are the things that meant he iPhone will never be taken seriously in the corporate world, there is no point looking for more!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    steve says

nameste

\
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

WTF?

Multiple line cell phones have existed for years. Why not the iPhone?

For example, I've got two lines on my two-year old model Sony Ericsson w810i, that cost me $250, unlocked of course. I have two incoming numbers, each with their own ring tone, and independent call forwarding settings, and separate voicemail boxes. I can choose which line to use when I dial out. I guess that's the functionality you're looking for, right? My additional fee for this is about US$2.50 per month over the normal charge for having only one line. You don't have to spend $250 for a phone with this functionality, either. Any free subsidized phone will work (and even all subsidized phones here are sold unlocked).

The fact is, almost all, if not all (except for the iPhone) GSM and 3G cell phones have dual line functionality built in. Even those sold in the US. It's just a question of whether your network supports it. My guess is that all networks in Asia and Europe do. What the hell is wrong with the US? Why don't they show any sign of an effort to keep up?

You are in the minority of cell phone users. Less than 1 in 200 (0.5%) of cell phone users utilize multiple telephone lines in one cell phone. Therefore, if my assumption is correct, then I doubt Apple will ever develop a multi-line cell phone since there appears to not be much need for it if <0.5% of the population utilize multi-line cell phones.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    First of all, I am not referring to "users" ( individual use), but companies using a cell phone as their primary "voice" to the "outside world".

I am sure that at some point in landline telephone history, all companies had a single line, which changed to needing multiple lines as the business grew. Then before technology caught up with the need for multiline telephones, larger business literally had a telephone sitting on a desk somewhere for each of their lines. (8 lines coming in = 8 telephones sitting on the desk)

Now today, we all have numbers that we give out to select individuals. We don't give out our home #'s to business associates. Neither do we want our family and friends calling us at work and tying up our only lines.

And some of us, like myself, have 3 companies attempting to grow. Now I see no reason to have one phone at home, and one for each of the companies. (4 landlines = too much $$$$), not to mention mobility. And the day of individuals having a single job/company to provide their total source of income is ending.

So I am sure, one day, people will really need/want multiline cell phones, just like they once did with landline phones.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derocketman View Post

First of all, I am not referring to "users" ( individual use), but companies using a cell phone as their primary "voice" to the "outside world".

I am sure that at some point in landline telephone history, all companies had a single line, which changed to needing multiple lines as the business grew. Then before technology caught up with the need for multiline telephones, larger business literally had a telephone sitting on a desk somewhere for each of their lines. (8 lines coming in = 8 telephones sitting on the desk)

Now today, we all have numbers that we give out to select individuals. We don't give out our home #'s to business associates. Neither do we want our family and friends calling us at work and tying up our only lines.

And some of us, like myself, have 3 companies attempting to grow. Now I see no reason to have one phone at home, and one for each of the companies. (4 landlines = too much $$$$), not to mention mobility. And the day of individuals having a single job/company to provide their total source of income is ending.

So I am sure, one day, people will really need/want multiline cell phones, just like they once did with landline phones.

Yes, one day people will want this. When there is enough need, then Apple will adopt it in its iPhones. Until then, Apple would waste a lot of money to serve <0.5% of its user base that desires multiple lines in one cell phone.