What calendar programs are availble for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know of two: Ical and Now up to date.

Does anybody know of any other calendar programs for OS X? I don't really like either of the two above.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use iCal and Google Calendar. Combined they handle all my needs. What part of iCal don't you like or is missing? The thing I like most about iCal is it syncing with my phone - Treo 650. Google is good for sharing with different groups and ease of access.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    There is a calendar program called Up To Date? If so, it is likely they are violating the trademark of UpToDate, a medical software company.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

There is a calendar program called Up To Date? If so, it is likely they are violating the trademark of UpToDate, a medical software company.

Or the other way around. There has been a Now Up To Date calendar program for nearly 15 years. I first started using Now Softwares Now Up To Date and Now Contact in the early nineties. After a brief time being owned by Qualcom (an aborted effort for Audora to compete against Microsoft Outlook) and a stint as PowerOn Software they are now back to their Now Software name. http://www.nowsoftware.com/
  • Reply 4 of 10
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

I use iCal and Google Calendar. Combined they handle all my needs. What part of iCal don't you like or is missing? The thing I like most about iCal is it syncing with my phone - Treo 650.

What I don't like about iCal is the following:

1) You can't set the background color of a day (or days) in month view to a different color. You can do this in now up to date if you copy and paste a solid color from the graphics palette.

2) When you set up different calendars with different colors in iCal, they don't print out that way. What you get is a rectangular colored block in front of the black colored text (in month view). I like the way Now up to date prints out different colored text for different calendar groups.

3) You can't bold or underline the font in iCal like you can in Now up to date.

I know it sounds like I should be using now up to date but I don't want to buy the universal binary upgrade. Plus, it doesn't sync to my phone. So about an hour ago, I finished updating my wife's calendar with all of our dates in iCal and then sync'd it to her phone. So I am going to stick with iCal for now with the hopes that the new version in Leopard has at least one of the things I want.

But if I find another calendar program that does all I want, I will switch if everything works out.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Now Up To Date is being replaced by Nighthawk. Check out their website.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Or the other way around. There has been a Now Up To Date calendar program for nearly 15 years. I first started using Now Softwares Now Up To Date and Now Contact in the early nineties. After a brief time being owned by Qualcom (an aborted effort for Audora to compete against Microsoft Outlook) and a stint as PowerOn Software they are now back to their Now Software name. http://www.nowsoftware.com/

Interesting. It appears both companies (Up to Date and UpToDate) have registered trademarks.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Now Up To Date is being replaced by Nighthawk. Check out their website.

Thanks. Never heard of this and I talked with Now a few days ago about the upgrade pricing.

Just checked it out and I liked what I saw so far. It also snyc's with cell phones with is good.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Thanks. Never heard of this and I talked with Now a few days ago about the upgrade pricing.

Just checked it out and I liked what I saw so far. It also snyc's with cell phones with is good.

One drawback with Nighthawk and this is the price of it. It'll cost more than Leopard and with Leopard, you get a calendar and contact software built in (although I'm sure not as good as Nighthawks).

I can't justify spending that kind of money on a calendar program when a complete, state of the art UNIX OS cost's less.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What I don't like about iCal is the following:

1) You can't set the background color of a day (or days) in month view to a different color. You can do this in now up to date if you copy and paste a solid color from the graphics palette.

2) When you set up different calendars with different colors in iCal, they don't print out that way. What you get is a rectangular colored block in front of the black colored text (in month view). I like the way Now up to date prints out different colored text for different calendar groups.

3) You can't bold or underline the font in iCal like you can in Now up to date.

I know it sounds like I should be using now up to date but I don't want to buy the universal binary upgrade. Plus, it doesn't sync to my phone. So about an hour ago, I finished updating my wife's calendar with all of our dates in iCal and then sync'd it to her phone. So I am going to stick with iCal for now with the hopes that the new version in Leopard has at least one of the things I want.

But if I find another calendar program that does all I want, I will switch if everything works out.

Apple continues to be very weak on customization options. It certainly would be nice if they'd allow users to throw in their own photo backgrounds, offer options to print in common (i.e.: Franklin-Covey) planner formats (pocket, compact, classic, monarch) and offer real scheduling software style options for simple scheduling tasks... is it really too much to ask?