Well, it's time: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

OK, so you guys knew it was coming. What can I say, I'm an Eagles maniac. Over the years, I have been very critical of Reid's performance (many of you will recall me calling for him to be fired).

But then last year happened. They turned it around in some tough circumstances. In any case, one thing remains constant: I love the Eagles, win or lose. I've been to one pre-season game and I'm going to the last one Thursday. Then I'll be at the home opener for Monday night, 9/17. SDW gets there a little early....as in 9:00 a.m. for a 8:30 p.m. game.

Anyway, a lot of commentators are picking the Eagles to go to the dance this year. On paper I have to agree. No one in the NFC is as complete as they are. New Orleans will probably be good, but other than them there is nobody. Dallas will be half decent, but they will be a distant second in the NFC East. Washington and New York suck ass, as will Atlanta (hmm...maybe getting rid of Matt Shaub wasn't such a good idea, guys). The Bears have no QB (actually, it's worse because neither Grossman nor his coach know how much he sucks) and have lost offensive power, and Seattle has a lot of question marks. I hear St. Louis might be good. My thinking is Eagles v. New Orleans or Chicago for the title game.

The problem is going to be the AFC. New England scares a lot of people (yeah, I hate them and Bill Belichick...have I mentioned?) and the Chargers look to be very good. Then there are the Colts, though I don't see them getting past the Baltimore, San Diego or New England.

Anyway, if al goes well this should my boys' year, at least to go to the 'bowl. McNabb looks great, and they're getting Kearse back. Then there is Tony Hunt, who they needed at RB. As much as I liked Trotter, he was done and it was his time (check out his post-release PC by the way...VERY classy guy...no bitterness at all).

So....Let the beer drinking, wing eating and yelling begin. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 286
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I wouldn't count on Kearse for all that much. He's simply nowhere near the player he once was. As a packer fan, I'd love to see Green Bay pull the upset in week 1

I'm not counting on it though.

I just don't see GB doing to well against the Eagle's defense. It's at home though, and the revenge factor for the whippings the last couple years will be present. The GB front seven does have the potential to be pretty dang good this year, and I'm hopeful this year they'll be able to stop McNabb and Westbrook from going apeshit.
  • Reply 2 of 286
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    A fellow Eagles maniac, I see!

The Eagles winning it all this year? Hmmm, that would be great, but Seattle and N'Orleans are no pushovers. Barring key injuries, I can definitely see them back in the title game, as long as they don't let Reid call the offense...\

Passing 70% of the time is bad, m'kay...
  • Reply 3 of 286
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    J-E-T-S...Jets, Jets, Jets
  • Reply 4 of 286
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I wouldn't count on Kearse for all that much. He's simply nowhere near the player he once was. As a packer fan, I'd love to see Green Bay pull the upset in week 1

I'm not counting on it though.

I just don't see GB doing to well against the Eagle's defense. It's at home though, and the revenge factor for the whippings the last couple years will be present. The GB front seven does have the potential to be pretty dang good this year, and I'm hopeful this year they'll be able to stop McNabb and Westbrook from going apeshit.

What are you talking about with Kearse? He was having a great year until he got injured last year. There's nothing to suggest he won't be back up to speed.

Gren Bay will be better but no match for the Eagles offense or defense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

A fellow Eagles maniac, I see!

The Eagles winning it all this year? Hmmm, that would be great, but Seattle and N'Orleans are no pushovers. Barring key injuries, I can definitely see them back in the title game, as long as they don't let Reid call the offense...\

Passing 70% of the time is bad, m'kay...

I don't think Seattle is going to do anything this year. Too many questions. New Orleans might be a different story, I agree. In fact, revising my original prediction, I see New Orleans v. Eagles for the title.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

I'll be at the game Thursday. I like Man-Genius, but sorry....it's going to be painful for you. Even in the pre-season.
  • Reply 5 of 286
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member

While it won't be the season that the Cowboys get their sixth Super Bowl win - it won't be the Eagles turn to get their first either.

I think Philly may win the division, but I'm guessing that that it'll be New England versus New Orleans in Super Bowl XLII.

You never know what can happen though. February 03, 2008 is a long way off.
  • Reply 6 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What are you talking about with Kearse? He was having a great year until he got injured last year. There's nothing to suggest he won't be back up to speed.

He's 31 and coming off his second season-ending injury. There's plenty of reason for doubt.
  • Reply 7 of 286
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Go Clots, Go Packers, Go Steelers in that order.

I predict that If the colts win another Super Bowl, Dungy and Manning will retire and no matter what the outcome, Brett will retire.
  • Reply 8 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

While it won't be the season that the Cowboys get their sixth Super Bowl win - it won't be the Eagles turn to get their first either.

I think Philly may win the division, but I'm guessing that that it'll be New England versus New Orleans in Super Bowl XLII.

You never know what can happen though. February 03, 2008 is a long way off.

Cowboys suck. Sorry...I had to. It's in my DNA. Your comment about the Eagles is relatively unsupported. New Orleans will likely be good. However, even last year the Eagles had the ability to beat them. They should have won early in the season, only losing on the last play of the game. The playoff game would have been an Eagles win with McNabb and a better defense. So I don't agree there.

Quote:

He's 31 and coming off his second season-ending injury. There's plenty of reason for doubt.

31 is still prime for an NFL player. They are still better with him than without.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Go Clots, Go Packers, Go Steelers in that order.

I predict that If the colts win another Super Bowl, Dungy and Manning will retire and no matter what the outcome, Brett will retire.

The Colts will not be as strong without the players they've lost. The Packers will still suck, though not as much as last year. Favre will retire this year. Manning will absolutely NOT retire. He's like 31. Please. Dungy has no intention of retiring, does he? I really think you just made those predictions up dude!
  • Reply 9 of 286
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Cowboys suck. Sorry...I had to. It's in my DNA.

You think I have any respect for the Eagles? Ha! I was just trying to keep things positive - we have the whole season to rip on our beloved teams.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Your comment about the Eagles is relatively unsupported. New Orleans will likely be good. However, even last year the Eagles had the ability to beat them. They should have won early in the season, only losing on the last play of the game. The playoff game would have been an Eagles win with McNabb and a better defense. So I don't agree there.

Relatively unsupported? It's opinion, just as your "this should my boys' year" claim.

And don't start the "they should have won" bullshit. What happened did, in fact, happen.

A win is a win and a torn ACL is just that.

The Eagles are not a Top 5 team. Top 10 maybe.

Though a team may seem to have everything in place to go to the Super Bowl and win, things usually don't work out that way. That's what's fantastic about this game.

I'm just very happy that it's finally football season. I'm sure we can both agree about that.
  • Reply 10 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

You think I have any respect for the Eagles? Ha! I was just trying to keep things positive - we have the whole season to rip on our beloved teams.

Look, the cowboys will be a decent team. But I hate them. A lot.
    Quote:

Relatively unsupported? It's opinion, just as your "this should my boys' year" claim.

Uh, looking at the team, it should be, yes. Show me a more complete team in the NFC. The Eagles have no major questions other than McNabb's health and possibly their run defense. Dallas? Tony Romo is green. He had 4 good games and then made one of the biggest blunders in playoff history. TO is a major distraction...surprise, surprise. I'm a fan, but I'm being objective here. The Eagles are going to be a very solid team.

And don't start the "they should have won" bullshit. What happened did, in fact, happen.

A win is a win and a torn ACL is just that.[/quote]

I don't disagree. I'm merely saying that the Eagles of LAST YEAR were close to New Orleans, if not better by the end. That was without Donovan and with a depleted defense, no power back, etc. This year the Eagles are way better. New Orleans looks to be about the same.

Quote:

The Eagles are not a Top 5 team. Top 10 maybe.

Uh, then who is? I count New England, San Diego, Baltimore, Indianapolis and Philadelphia. Who else is there? Dallas is no top 5 team. San Francisco isn't, though they'll be top 10. Seattle won't be either. So really, tell me. I'm listening.

Quote:

Though a team may seem to have everything in place to go to the Super Bowl and win, things usually don't work out that way. That's what's fantastic about this game.

I'm just very happy that it's finally football season. I'm sure we can both agree about that.

I agree with both of those points. I'm sure there will be surprises. I just hope Dallas and New England sucking more are two of them.
  • Reply 11 of 286
    Quote:

31 is still prime for an NFL player. They are still better with him than without.

I'll agree with the second sentence, but not the first. At 31, he's 2-3 years off the peak, especially for a pass-rusher.
  • Reply 12 of 286
    Quote:

I'll agree with the second sentence, but not the first. At 31, he's 2-3 years off the peak, especially for a pass-rusher.

I don't think you can say that and base it solely on age. Last year he looked great and was having a career best year early on. We'll see how he does. Haven't seen him tonight so far...not sure if he's in.
  • Reply 13 of 286
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

I don't think you can say that and base it solely on age. Last year he looked great and was having a career best year early on. We'll see how he does. Haven't seen him tonight so far...not sure if he's in.

Hey I passed on my green blood to my son, but it would be a miracle if Kerse played through the season. He is a monster when healthy, but his body has taken a beating over the years. He may be 31, but his knees are in their 40s. I only noticed him on one play tonight ("Kerse getting up slowly--he was shaken up on that one...").

Hope springs eternal, but I see no reason to be extra optimistic. There are just too many questions on defense. And there is no reason to expect the offense to be extrodinary. The eagles may well dominate the NFC East, but I think it is a weak conference this year.

Maybe I have been a Philly fan too long...
  • Reply 14 of 286
    Quote:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed. Statistically, however, that's when players peak (I wish I could find the research, because I know I've read it. Sadly it's eluding me).

Besides, two games is not enough to designate "career year, if only"
  • Reply 15 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Hey I passed on my green blood to my son, but it would be a miracle if Kerse played through the season. He is a monster when healthy, but his body has taken a beating over the years. He may be 31, but his knees are in their 40s. I only noticed him on one play tonight ("Kerse getting up slowly--he was shaken up on that one...").

Hope springs eternal, but I see no reason to be extra optimistic. There are just too many questions on defense. And there is no reason to expect the offense to be extrodinary. The eagles may well dominate the NFC East, but I think it is a weak conference this year.

Maybe I have been a Philly fan too long...

Well, they didn't look great tonight. Then again, B-West and Hunt weren't really in. The defense concerned me, I'm not gonna lie.

Quote:

I'm not saying it's guaranteed. Statistically, however, that's when players peak (I wish I could find the research, because I know I've read it. Sadly it's eluding me).

Besides, two games is not enough to designate "career year, if only"

Now hold on...obviously if he injured, that's different. But we were talking about him healthy, or so I assumed. Anyway...I'm simply saying they are better with him than without...much better.
  • Reply 16 of 286
    SDW: Re: bears

Are you out of your goddamn mind? Grossman is much better then he was last year. You forget that last year was his first complete year of his career. How many rookies lead their teams to the Super Bowl?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

Amen brother.
  • Reply 17 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius View Post

SDW: Re: bears

Are you out of your goddamn mind? Grossman is much better then he was last year. You forget that last year was his first complete year of his career. How many rookies lead their teams to the Super Bowl?

Amen brother.

Grossman fucking sucks. He proves it every week. He's certainly not "better" than last year..not from what I've seen. I love his excuse for last year's New Year's Eve game. He said he was thinking about the evening and that's why he was distracted. haha. He is one of the worse QB's in the NFL right now. But his coach is too stupid to get rid of him.
  • Reply 18 of 286
    I'm not sure if I should join this discussion or not. I've waited 5 years for my team to be decent and this might be the year they get over the hump. For the first time ever, Sean Salisbury even said something positive about us.

Don't wanna jinx 'em.

Just please don't get hurt Frank. PLEASE.
  • Reply 19 of 286
    ronaldoronaldo Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Grossman fucking sucks. He proves it every week. He's certainly not "better" than last year..not from what I've seen. I love his excuse for last year's New Year's Eve game. He said he was thinking about the evening and that's why he was distracted. haha. He is one of the worse QB's in the NFL right now. But his coach is too stupid to get rid of him.

Go Bears.
  • Reply 20 of 286
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post

Go Bears.

I really don't dislike the Bears as a team, believe it or not. I just think Grossman sucks and Smith is really stupid not to replace him.