.mac is relatively cheap... . mac "lite"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by pyr3:

<strong>

I'm thinking that that is for hosting AND domain name as she wanted a different domain name in the other thread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup, I have a business domain, so I needed something that was a bit more "searchable" online. We are going to stick with the .mac for a year (with the $50 price), but then will dump it and get a family domain name and site going. Homepage loads too damned slow for all of our friends and family still on dial-up (including us).

As it is, .mac would cost us $120/year with 3 e-mails, so it is a rip-off, as far as we are concerned....

Kirsten
  • Reply 22 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by macosxmommy:

<strong>

Yup, I have a business domain, so I needed something that was a bit more "searchable" online. We are going to stick with the .mac for a year (with the $50 price), but then will dump it and get a family domain name and site going. Homepage loads too damned slow for all of our friends and family still on dial-up (including us).

As it is, .mac would cost us $120/year with 3 e-mails, so it is a rip-off, as far as we are concerned....

Kirsten</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, so we just decided to bite the bullet and register our own family domain name now, rather than monkey with iTools/.mac any longer.

We registered a .us name for 10 years, at $80 total. So our domain will be $8/year, plus $95/year to host a 100MB site through webworkz. That is still cheaper than our $120/year with 3 e-mail addys .mac. Plus, we can make it whatever we want, and not be constrained in any way, or pay for things we don't want/need/use.

Kirsten

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: macosxmommy ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by MajorMatt:

<strong>Scott_H, why take such effort to write such a thing?

Well, if you're set on writing something, surely your "Phd" can conjure something with more content?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it's worth writing to say something is good then isn't is also worth to say something is bad. "mac.com" email was a good marketing tool for Apple but now no one will want one. For $100 a year I should get a dial up connection too.

Apple sucks.

Does .mac even work with OS 9 'cause we all know I can't use OS X since Apple dropped support for my "supported" iMac.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Come on dude, It's the standard to have Mac OS X now. If you can't then that's your problem. And besides, why does someone who obviously hates Apple stick around Apple forums all day? Lol...
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Didn't you see the funeral that Steve Jobs did for Mac OS 9? IT'S DEAD!!!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I don't care if it's "relatively cheap"--anyone who pulls a bait-and-switch on me loses my custom.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by scott_h_phd:

<strong>

If it's worth writing to say something is good then isn't is also worth to say something is bad. "mac.com" email was a good marketing tool for Apple but now no one will want one. For $100 a year I should get a dial up connection too.

Apple sucks.

Does .mac even work with OS 9 'cause we all know I can't use OS X since Apple dropped support for my "supported" iMac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You just like to b*tch, that's all.

So what, apple dropped support? I can find PCs that won't run under WindowsXP. You don't see people bitching about how MicroSoft doesn't support Windows 98. You just have to accept that computers get old and OSes die out. Or are you one of those people that expects OfficeXP to run on a 1MHz machine? You only think that Apple sucks because YOU are not being catered to by them. Don't you think that is a bit selfish? Maybe the Mac world will revolve around you when you de-throne Steve Jobs, but until then just bite the bullet because you are not going to change Jobs' mind by b*tching on AI.

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 33
    gm555gm555 Posts: 1member
    Leaving aside the fact I'm very upset about Apple about the .Mac 'disaster', I feel it's a pretty dumb move from a marketing perspective. It seems that most users, like me, were using iTools just for the email address. Most of us already have an email address through our ISP, along with home page storage etc. I was using mac.com as my primary address 1. to show I was a proud owner of a Mac 2. as it's an easy to remember address.

Is it worth paying $ 99 for an additional email? From a rational perspective not for me. And since I'm upset the emotion certainly works against a subscription to .Mac too.

Now lot's of iTools users will have to email all their contacts that their mac.com address can't be used any more. And all of them will not be happy to do that. Imagine many of them sharing their discontent over Apple in their email. And this comes from the very people who used to be advocates of the Mac. Doesn't sound like good publicity to me.

Another subject to consider - you are getting lot's of free email addresses from companies you have never had or will have any business with. But those with a mac.com address have spent lot's of money on Apple's products already...

As a person with a Marketing background I can only say - you shouldn't do something like this with your customers. Customer Relationship Marketing is 'the' big thing now, but Apple obviously thinks they can disregard its principles.

I can only hope this one backfires on them - so that they learn to value their customers.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    I think that for some people .mac will be great, but for most $99/yr is just too much. For instance...if I were to pay fatcow.com $119/yr I would get a domain of my choice, up to 100 email accounts, 100 MB of webspace, and much more. So other than the backup and virus software, Apple is not giving up a whole lot. I think for their sake and ours they should have done the following plans.

Mac Platinum - $99/yr

3 email account POP/IMAP/WebMail

100MB Webspace

AV software - Downloadable & CD mailed to you

Backup Software

Mac Gold - $59/yr

1 email account IMAP/Webmail

50MB Webspace

Choice of AV or Backup Software - Downloadable & CD mailed to you

Mac Silver - $29/yr

15MB Webspace

Mac Bronze - $19/yr

2MB of Webspace

Or something in this area. But going from free, to $100/year is a bit drastic when your whole new promotion is based on switching people. Not good to hit the loyals when the newbies are watching.

But I could be wrong.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by cyko95:

<strong>I think that for some people .mac will be great, but for most $99/yr is just too much. For instance...if I were to pay fatcow.com $119/yr I would get a domain of my choice, up to 100 email accounts, 100 MB of webspace, and much more. So other than the backup and virus software, Apple is not giving up a whole lot. I think for their sake and ours they should have done the following plans.

Mac Platinum - $99/yr

3 email account POP/IMAP/WebMail

100MB Webspace

AV software - Downloadable & CD mailed to you

Backup Software

Mac Gold - $59/yr

50MB Webspace

Choice of AV or Backup Software - Downloadable & CD mailed to you

Mac Silver - $29/yr

15MB Webspace

Mac Bronze - $19/yr

2MB of Webspace

Or something in this area. But going from free, to $100/year is a bit drastic when your whole new promotion is based on switching people. Not good to hit the loyals when the newbies are watching.

But I could be wrong.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh I like this idea indeed!

Gee, I am going to miss my @mac.com address! Even tho I have to others with my own domain!
  • Reply 31 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by GM555:

<strong> I was using mac.com as my primary address 1. to show I was a proud owner of a Mac 2. as it's an easy to remember address.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

And to pay for an @mac.com address seems a bit like us paying them to advertise for them.... There is a good reason why my parents would not buy me Coca-Cola shirts when they were in vogue (during the mid 80's for those of you who may not recall that fad). They thought it ridiculous (and rightfully so) to pay $40 for a shirt that advertises a company. If Coke (and later, Pepsi) wanted people to wear articles of clothing which advertise their product to consumers, they should be the ones shelling-out the cash for it, not the consumers themselves.

Is it just me, or are we (well, some of "we" anyhow) being suckerd into paying for Apple's advertising? Too bad that this may very well come back to bite Apple in their proverbial, collective arse. If bad PR makes people not want to buy your product, it matters little how much money you might lose on free/cheaper iTools/.mac usage. As low as Apple's marketshare is, this is one very dangerous gamble, IMNSO.

Yup, as much as we love our Macs (the only OS we have ever owned), we will not pay to advertise them--that would make us one step closer to becoming PC owners....

Kirsten
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Hehe...I revived my Forum...
  • Reply 33 of 33
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Apple had a tiered system. A basic account was free with 20MB and an e-mail address. You could pay to add extra storage space.

Well, what happened?

Some ****ers abused it.

I downloaded a movie once that was broken into 7 parts, all of which were stored on 20MB iDisks.

moviename1

moviename2

moviename3

...etc.

A family member ran out of space, and got a second account to get more space.

Westlake Interactive, a macintosh game porting house, got multiple accounts and used them to host patches for games.

Nobody was paying for the higher tiers, they were just abusing the free system, and when something good is abused, it either dies or becomes less good.

Bandwidth is not free. Apple was paying a shitload of money to keep iTools going for people who abused the webhosting. They eventually had to cap the bandwidth, so if too much was downloaded from your site in a day, it would be repalced with a page saying "temporarily unavailable, this user has exceeded their bandwidth allowance for the day, please try again tomorrow."

This cost will prevent people from abusing the system. You post a video and it gets linked to on a popular site, and bandwidth usage is through the roof. Most ISPs charge if you use too much bandwidth, and/or restrict the types of files you can post. I'm guessing the bandwidth cap will be lessened or removed for people paying to use .mac.

For people using just e-mail, yeah, it would be nice if it was cheaper, I definitely agree. However, I think the price is quite fair, and having a web page is a good thing. Everybody can use a place to host some pictures, programs, files, etc, and .mac is a very no-hassle way to do just that. The price is also very comparable to other services, and looks even better when you consider the ease of use.

At $50 for all of the people complaining for the first year, it's a steal. Besides, all of the other services will probably cost more a year from now anyway.

Other things, mostly to the OSx mommy...

Your domain name doesn't generate hits. Writing a site with good meta tags and cleverly designed pages does. I've hosted mac.com websites that get into the top 3 on Google searches. It's not hard, just write good keywords in the meta tags and wait a month or so for the spiders to find your site. It happens faster if you put your url in your sig on message boards.

Also, your webhost won't have any effect on the speed of modem downloads or uploads, unless your host is so terrible that they can't even pump out 5k/sec, and I know mac.com is much faster than that.