is there any way to log out and keep apps running

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know on windows when you hit command+L you can get programs to stay running ( like music ) I wanted to know If that was possible. ( so, for example, at a party I could set a play list without worrying about people messing with it or going around on my computer). thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I think it is a totally different metaphor. When you log out, you quit your apps. Unless you Fast User Switching, but that numbs out music programs because the Mac correctly assumes that the new user doesn't want to listen to your copy of Free Bird, again. Use the screen saver, hot corner, password required to lock out miscreants.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

I think it is a totally different metaphor. When you log out, you quit your apps. Unless you Fast User Switching, but that numbs out music programs because the Mac correctly assumes that the new user doesn't want to listen to your copy of Free Bird, again. Use the screen saver, hot corner, password required to lock out miscreants.

hot corner? I guess ill use the screensaver....but hotcorner?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    When you hit the red button in the upper right corner of your window it closes the app but doesn't quit it. When you open it again it goes rather quickly. If you want it off your desktop hit the middle yellow button and it will minimize it and pin it to the dock. if your listening to iTunes it'll keep playing. Of course you could keep the app and window open and when you need to switch apps use expose. That's how I and many Mac users do it. Expose is an extremely useful function that will make your Mac experience much better.

Get a book on the Mac and read up on OSX. It won't take long and it'll be a useful reference.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hotcorner: move the cursor into the corners of the screen, and it can trigger desktop/screen saver actions. Open Desktop/Screen Saver in System Preferences, go the Screen Saver tab, then click on the Hot Corners button in the lower left.

In addition to what backtomac said, Cmd-H or (Application name) -> Hide App is very useful. It does precisely what you expect, and leaves your windows in exactly the setup you want when you come back to it. Click on the app's icon in the Dock, or cycle to it with Cmd-Tab to do so.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    You can set the screensaver to need a password to deactivate it ... that would keep iTunes playing, but keep anyone else from being able to use the computer.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    You want to get that Lock icon thing in the menu bar. I think that's exactly what you mean. Enter Keychain Access in spotlight, open Keychain Access, go to preferences, check out this page anyways .. see number 7. 8. 9. in http://www.macworld.com/2006/06/feat...tmac/index.php
  • Reply 7 of 8
    You can try out what I do. Download SizzlingKeys. It's an iTunes controller plugin. Just check it out on the website. Mount the .dmg image and double-click on the pkg inside. It installs a PrefPane in System Preferences. Open System Preferences and click on SizzlingKeys, then go to the Extras section. Check the box that says "Activate Screensaver" and set your own shortcut. I use F8. You don't have to have iTunes running for this to work either. That's the beauty of it. Make sure you set a password for your screensaver and test it out.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackmajik2021 View Post

I know on windows when you hit command+L you can get programs to stay running ( like music ) I wanted to know If that was possible. ( so, for example, at a party I could set a play list without worrying about people messing with it or going around on my computer). thanks.

With Windows button + L you're locking the comp, not logging out... but everyone got the point.