17" MBP questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

Wanting a bit of advice. My 17" MBP CD's HDD is getting full. At present I only use 1 computer.

Was thinking about an iMac but couldn't contemplate the really glossy screen - seemed much worse than the MB which I may be able to live with.

Initially I was thinking of getting a MB (black) to use for iTunes/movies etc for my aTV & then use the current MBP for other uses - work & aperture.

Now thinking about having everything in one on a new MBP 17" with the 250GB HDD.

How quick is the HDD? Will I notice a big drop in performance cf the 5400rpm 120GB HDD in my current MBP?

The faster processor, ^d RAM, 'n' wireless & higher res screen will all be welcome additions.

Any comments?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drnat View Post

Hi Guys,

Wanting a bit of advice. My 17" MBP CD's HDD is getting full. At present I only use 1 computer.

Was thinking about an iMac but couldn't contemplate the really glossy screen - seemed much worse than the MB which I may be able to live with.

Initially I was thinking of getting a MB (black) to use for iTunes/movies etc for my aTV & then use the current MBP for other uses - work & aperture.

Now thinking about having everything in one on a new MBP 17" with the 250GB HDD.

How quick is the HDD? Will I notice a big drop in performance cf the 5400rpm 120GB HDD in my current MBP?

The faster processor, ^d RAM, 'n' wireless & higher res screen will all be welcome additions.

Any comments?

Thanks

You'll likely notice some speed difference. What are the differences in specs for the machines?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You'll likely notice some speed difference. What are the differences in specs for the machines?

Thanks,

Current - 2.16 CD 17MBP, 120GB HDD (5400rpm), 2GB ram - rest standard

Proposed - 2.4 C2D santa Rosa 17" MBP, 250GB (4200) HDD & 4GB ram, upgraded sreen, rest standard.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Just my 2 cents, I think you should get the 7200rpm 160gb for US$150 extra. I know more hard disk space is nice, but your primary disk should be fast. Core2Duo 2.4ghz, 4GB ram, 7200rpm drive, 17" nVidia etc. etc... nice, I tells ya. a 4200rpm drive will be an unnecessary bottleneck. For "desktop" class work you'd need a nice FW400 or FW800 external 300+GB drive anyway...? For scratch disk, video, backup, Leopard Time Machines, etc...?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Oooh particularly driving that 1080p spec HD screen. 4200rpm is a no-no. (edit: as in the amount of video, scratch disk, os read/write etc...) basically the hard disk at 4200rpm is going to be a big bottleneck on a fabulous system. 7200rpm definitely recommended, IMHO.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Might be silly question, but why not get an external harddrive?

The upgrade you get from going to MBP CD to a SR C2D is relatively marginal, and if space is all you need, I'd save the money and get a few wireless external harddrives instead.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I bought the new MBP with a 160GB 7200RPM HDD (specs below) and I'm running Boot Camp beta on it and I found I've quickly ran out of space, especially since putting Final Cut Studio 2 on, so I'm about to purchase a Seagate Momentus 200GB 7200rpm 2.5" HDD (P/N: ST9200420ASG) as an upgrade as that's the best combo of capacity & speed I can find right now, should set me back £100. Keep in mind that this WILL void your warranty though, but I'm okay on that front.

Bring on cheaper SSD I say