Apple & Sun StarOffice Partnership

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    [quote]

<strong> "We're about 30 days from having a plan," Siress said.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This seems interesting, in that an official detailed announcment of some sort may occur at the same time as the release of new PowerMacs.

I'm not sure if something like this is good or bad for Apple. I think one of the major reasons that people feel comfortable making the switch from PC to Apple is because Office is still available. On the other hand, something like this could provide a new revenue stream for Apple.

This partly confirms the rumour that has been going around about Apple having a completely new version of AppleWorks in the works. Could some sort of Apple-branded version of StarOffice be what this is actually about? Only time will tell.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I'm pretty certain it's not an Apple branded StarOffice seeing as the Mac OS X branch of OpenOffice only reached alpha today. I'd think it very unilkely that Apple has copy in a deep basement somewhere of a fully working, Aqua/Quartz Star/OpenOffice.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>

OLD NEWS:

<a href="http://www.macuarium.com/macuarium/actual/especiales/2000_11_24_straofficegb.shtml"; target="_blank">http://www.macuarium.com/macuarium/actual/especiales/2000_11_24_straofficegb.shtml</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Somehow, I don't think that is related, as this was just posted today on CNET. Also, that seems to be talking about OpenOffice, which is different from an official Apple/Sun release with Aqua support, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I think Mr. Data missed the point - they're talking about a version of StarOffice, not OpenOffice that has been in development since the dinosaurs roamed.

This may be a dangerous scenario for all involved, but Apple's determination should not be discounted by Microsoft.

Remember, everyone said the dealers would get ticked if Apple opened their own stores - and they did it anyway. Then they said too many iApps would discourage developers - and they're still coming with no end in sight.

Apple is all marketing these days and when a switcher walks in to an Apple Store they'll be told that the AppleOffice is completely compatible with Windows and Office and most of the newbies won't blink. In these economic times, offices may like the no-pay idea as long as it comes with the .doc format. This may be enough to give the Sun suites enough critical mass to be accepted.

Microsoft needs to derail this and I don't think threats will work anymore. I think Apple's pro hardware bundling terms just became a lot more friendly.

Because while an OS monopoly is nice for the ego, it's Office that pays the bills in Redmond. And you can't be the standard if several million new computers aren't reading your files. Bill knows that and I doubt he'll take the risk of pulling Office from the platform.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    The point is, it's not a rumored issue.

Sun and Apple have been working together on the Sun Office line for years.

Yes, I am glad to read that there may be a release soon but it was just a matter of time.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    It would have to be one GREAT application to buy me over. Frankly I think office v.X is great and apple works well I think its a little childish (Or perhaps too simple) which isnt really a bad thing
  • Reply 8 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by MrBillData:

<strong>The point is, it's not a rumored issue.

Sun and Apple have been working together on the Sun Office line for years.

Yes, I am glad to read that there may be a release soon but it was just a matter of time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I never said that this was a rumoured issue. The rumour I was referring to was the one about Apple having a completely new version of AppleWorks coming soon, and maybe even a consumer version, and a pro version. My guess is that this Apple-branded version of StarOffice is going to be the pro end, and an updated version of the current AppleWorks will be at the consumer end of AppleWorks line.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    [quote] The point is, it's not a rumored issue.

Sun and Apple have been working together on the Sun Office line for years. <hr></blockquote>

Don't mean to split hairs on this, but I think you've got it wrong.

Prior to this announcement, Sun was emphatically stating on the OpenOffice site that there would never be a StarOffice on the Mac. They gave the code to OpenOffice and said good riddance, the market share ain't worth the time.

Now they are saying that a branded StarOffice suite will be available in 2003 (MWSF?) It's a 180º turn and a good one at that.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    mrbilldatamrbilldata Posts: 489member
    Well my only other thoughts here are that SUN has not done a very good job selling their Office line to SUN users.

Products like the Citrix Winframe is quite popular on many SUN networks because of the need to use M$ Office applications for compatibility with thier customers/clients.

Bill Gates owns the Business Office standards and he will never let anyone take that away.

Long live AppleWorks.

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 57
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Prior to this announcement, Sun was emphatically stating on the OpenOffice site that there would never be a StarOffice on the Mac. They gave the code to OpenOffice and said good riddance, the market share ain't worth the time.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]I'm pretty certain it's not an Apple branded StarOffice seeing as the Mac OS X branch of OpenOffice only reached alpha today. I'd think it very unilkely that Apple has copy in a deep basement somewhere of a fully working, Aqua/Quartz Star/OpenOffice. <hr></blockquote>

There are working versions of Open Office period though. They just have to *port* the working versions from other platforms. This requires developers. Apple has developers on staff. If you add two and two together, you get something like this : Apple will probably help Sun/Open Office port Sun Office to MacOS OR they will just hand over Apple the rights to produce the Mac version themselves (basically grant them the ability to peek at the source and such, and the right for Apple to sell it) Neither of these ways costs Sun any extra, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 57
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    I find the fact that the OS X version will be written in Java interesting. Could they be choosing Java for the code portability? Perhaps this is further evidence of a CPU architecture change in the works?
  • Reply 13 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by FotNS:

<strong>I find the fact that the OS X version will be written in Java interesting. Could they be choosing Java for the code portability? Perhaps this is further evidence of a CPU architecture change in the works?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you are talking about Apple going to x86 or the next gen procs of PCs ... don't count on it, but this isn't the place for that arguement. If you are talking about Apple going with IBM procs then they only need to recompile, granted that optimizations like Altivec will need to be removed as well.

Sun owns java. I think this might have something to do with it too.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    This is huge. Apple knows (or knew) that Microsoft's support would be crucial to their comeback. In addition to settling some longstanding IP disputes, Microsoft's investment in Apple also won Apple some mindshare in the hearts of Apple doomsdayists.

Now that Apple's arguably healthy enough to go out on their own, it appears they're ready to get the MS monkey off their back. If there was any doubt that Apple was really going all out (no more tiptoeing around MS), I think this puts that to rest.

BTW, IIRC, Apple also partnered with Sun (and Ericsson) to build some sort of MPEG-4/Quicktime platform.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by frawgz:

<strong>

Now that Apple's arguably healthy enough to go out on their own, it appears they're ready to get the MS monkey off their back. </strong><hr></blockquote>

If (notice I am saying if) an Apple-branded version of StarOffice is ever released, this also opens up the possibility of an Apple-branded web browser, such as a custom version of Mozilla. If Apple has their own Office suite in the works, and their relationship with Microsoft is already rather tedious, what is the point of keeping Microsoft around for the web browser either?

In a way though, I'm sad about this. It would have been kind of fun to see Microsoft only producing software for Apple one day. But oh well. This is probably better for Apple, if the consumers buy it.

Apple/Sun better get the compatibility issues with Microsoft Office ironed out completely, or something like this will never catch on. Just imagine the anger of people if they were promised complete compatibility with Office by Apple, only to open a Word document with comments that don't appear! That would be some bad PR.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Star Office being written in Java for OS X might also hint at improved java support on the way, which would be a good thing.

As for IE, I think it's just a matter of waiting for a web browser that is equal to or better than IE in all ways. Right now, no such thing exists on OS X, but Mozilla is getting closer and closer all the time. They just gotta fix up that UI.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    marsicomarsico Posts: 6member
    1. So . . . . SUN goes from saying that there is not enough market share for StarOffice . . . to collaborating with Apple on a port to the MacOS.

2. Apple needs more high-end desktops/workstations for applications like Shake and Final Cut PRO as Steve seems intent on switching studios over to OSX

3. Apple retooled NeXT as MacOS X and touts it as the world most popular unix distribution

4. SUN appears to have slated Solaris 8 as Solaris 8 Trusted Server and moved Solaris 9 into a "service provider" operating system for massive servers while halting progress on graphics and front-end interfaces that are essential to workstation users. In fact, Linux seems to be the only workstation-targed OS from how I read the SUN website.

I know that this is all very unlikely, but might SUN be considering teaming up with Apple to create their next generation chips? Has anyone noticed any recent SUN pattents relating to PPC chip implementations?
  • Reply 18 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by Mársico:

<strong>1. So . . . . SUN goes from saying that there is not enough market share for StarOffice . . . to collaborating with Apple on a port to the MacOS.

2. Apple needs more high-end desktops/workstations for applications like Shake and Final Cut PRO as Steve seems intent on switching studios over to OSX

3. Apple retooled NeXT as MacOS X and touts it as the world most popular unix distribution

4. SUN appears to have slated Solaris 8 as Solaris 8 Trusted Server and moved Solaris 9 into a "service provider" operating system for massive servers while halting progress on graphics and front-end interfaces that are essential to workstation users. In fact, Linux seems to be the only workstation-targed OS from how I read the SUN website.

I know that this is all very unlikely, but might SUN be considering teaming up with Apple to create their next generation chips? Has anyone noticed any recent SUN pattents relating to PPC chip implementations?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A couple of months ago Sun was talking about use Gnome2 and I some new window manager rather than CDE on their workstations. I don't think that Sun is going over to Apple. Sun has also been adopting linux more and more since linux has been beating it out in marketshare. They are trying to keep their options open so that if Solaris fails they can become a hardware only company and not flop. This Sun and Apple thing is likely only software related. Since Sun doesn't see a Mac port as worth their time, they are letting Apple do it instead is my take on this. This way Sun isn't spending any extra development money, and Apple is weening off dependence on MS. Since MS likes to pull strings and the ability to use Office on the Mac is one of Apple's main 'switch' campaign selling points. If they have a version of Star Office that works and is 99.9% compatible with Office they will tout that as the alternative. And if they are feeling particularly daring they might pull a MS and start shipping all new Macs with Apple's version of Star Office pre-installed (since retail is only like $50-$99 bucks or something like that). This would be a slap in the face to MS and maybe they would lower the Office v.X price since they would actually have some competition, or else they would just put out of the Mac market altogether.

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>They just gotta fix up that UI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You got that right. But if anyone can make a good UI, it's Apple. The more I think about it, the more it seems like it just might happen.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    maybe this will be the AppleWorks killa, or the new Apple Works:

Or

iWorks

or

iOffice

or

iWor (like iCal)