Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple is not Chinese owned... yet.

Acer is a Taiwanese company.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frawgz View Post

Oops... er, that's an important distinction. \ Never mind.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Having been bitten by cheap-brand PCs before--which failed constantly both during AND after warranty due to cheap parts with horrible service--I can only shudder to imagine Acer, Gateway and eMachines now under one roof!

(I don't know if Packard Bell fits in the same cheap category or not.)

Not to mention they don't even have an OS for all that hardware junk. Imagine owning all of that and depending on Microsoft! ... shudder!
  • Reply 24 of 34
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frawgz View Post

Yes, but the PRC will fix that eventually...and officially, under the One China Policy, the fiction is that it already is one country...
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Having been bitten by cheap-brand PCs before--which failed constantly both during AND after warranty due to cheap parts with horrible service--I can only shudder to imagine Acer, Gateway and eMachines now under one roof!

(I don't know if Packard Bell fits in the same cheap category or not.)

When Packard Bell was in the US, I think it was as bad or worse.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, but the PRC will fix that eventually...and officially, under the One China Policy, the fiction is that it already is one country...

Does anyone in the US government really even give a damn about that policy? It's the emptiest policy I've heard of in quite some time. It may as well be a unicorn breeding policy as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does anyone in the US government really even give a damn about that policy? It's the emptiest policy I've heard of in quite some time. It may as well be a unicorn breeding policy as far as I can tell.

Given that it is a requirement to maintain official relations with China I guess someone in Washington must care...but we're straying a bit off topic. My bad.

That said, here's another digression somewhat related to unicorn breeding policies and China: China has banned reincarnation without prior government permission (presumably in triplicate).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/

Vinea
  • Reply 28 of 34
    On topic...this keeps Apple at bay from taking the #3 slot in the US but will it help Apple take #5 world wide? I was unable to tell where Gateway ranked worldwide but if its ahead of Apple that would help.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    grayumgrayum Posts: 47member
    One PC maker buys another. Just think of all that intellectual property acquired for 710m
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

One PC maker buys another. Just think of all that intellectual property acquired for 710m

yeah... you can buy the cow-machine company for $710 and combine it with the cheap-POS-machine company to get:

Cowpie Computing.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wally View Post

Okay, Gateway's strong brand? I know they've been around for a while here, but ever since their stores started shutting down - I've seen very little from them, in fact I wasn't even sure they were around anymore. I'm not sure I would classify their brand as strong.

And as for the second part of that quote - I had to laugh. That's a good position to solidify - number 3!

I realize that's a big deal in a global market, but it still sounds funny.

Actually what kept Gateway alive this long is they are heavily marketed by Best Buy. They are all over the place around here.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    First IBM/Lenovo, now Gateway/Acer. Dell can't be too far behind. Good thing HP has a solid printer division that keeps things going, at least for now (even there, one should not be surprised if that ends up on the chopping block some day, as did IBM's PC division).

Ah..... sad, but predictable, what the quest for cheapness in PCs has wrought.

Something for all the anti-Apple pro-PC-pro-MSFT-yahoos to think about.

\
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Why all the fuss over Packard Bell? Both Acer and their rival Lenovo are gunning for them (acquiring Gateway is merely a strategic move for PB on Acers' part), but I honestly don't know what is so good about them. Shortly after acquiring one, I found out that their machinery is in fact pretty bad. Not quite Time/Tiny bad, but still pretty prone. Maybe they have good marketshare...I have no clue
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael528 View Post

Why all the fuss over Packard Bell?

European branding. Lenovo has limited presence. The Acer move was defensive to keep Lenovo at bay since they already have decent presence in Europe.