Upcoming iPods - Sep 2007 - Educated Guess

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I knew it was coming. Yes, no "home" button because there's no phone, no internet, and no widgets. And if you want to pause, skip and such you use the new built-in in-line remote - easy.

Easy? No - much more complicated. Just another thing to lose as well.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Hello,

Looking at the iMacs introduced yesterday and i squarely place my bets on Apple launching a more conservative update to the iPods .

those hoping for a touch-screen ..., i dont think so .
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karteekmehta View Post

Hello,

Looking at the iMacs introduced yesterday and i squarely place my bets on Apple launching a more conservative update to the iPods .

those hoping for a touch-screen ..., i dont think so .

Yeah that's is going to be the big question now. Touch screen or no touch screen. That will also decide the demand for the product. If the iPod G6 ends up with a touch screen the public is going to go crazy.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

Yeah that's is going to be the big question now. Touch screen or no touch screen. That will also decide the demand for the product. If the iPod G6 ends up with a touch screen the public is going to go crazy.

Correct. Apple comes out with a true video 6G iPod with a 3.5" 3:2 aspect ratio touchscreen with Multi-touch, consumers will go wild and buy 'em by the millions. That's what everyone has been expecting since the iPhone was introduced in January.

Now, keep the WiFi component from the iPhone and let users download music right from the iPod. Wowee Zowee!
  • Reply 45 of 82
    antsants Posts: 2member
    Hi there

Long time reader, first time poster.

I think we have to consider what people use their iPods for when thinking about how it will be updated, as well as how Apple wants us to use them.

Shuffle is really just for listening to a bit of music as you run/go to the gym/commute etc and as such I imagine we will really only see capacity hikes in future. The essential concept remains the same, so why bother adding a screen etc - it would only add to the size (with necessary battery increases etc) and thus detract from the small form factor selling point.

Nano also has benefit of being anti-jog for sports etc but is aimed at someone that wants a bit more control and a bit more capacity. It's main selling point (I think) is it's size, and the fact that it looks very cool ("All that in something that size?!" etc). It is not meant as a mixed media player - OK it does photos but they who ever uses it for that, the screen is just too small. I don't think they'll increase the screen size much - too much battery strain and who's going to watch video on a 2.5" screen? If you really want mobile video I'd think people would buy something more suitable. As for a larger screen than 2.5" I think it won't happen as the Nano needs to retain its "wow that's small" factor (the clue's in the name!). The click-wheel will stay (as an Apple legend) and the price must remain competetive in it's market sector. I really only see capacity hikes as memory gets cheaper.

As for the iPod itself, Apple has touted this as a mixed media player from the 4G on. The problem at the moment is that it has a good screen, but not as good/large as a lot of the competition. What I'd like to see, and what I think will deliver a knockout blow to the market is a widescreen, multitouch iPod like the iPhone but without any of the other features. This would look damn cool (always good for getting new customers) but could have a slight premium over similar rivals (you pay for quality and cool you know!). By having that decent screen you could watch video properly and a large HDD would allow you to carry around a lot/all of your media. No camera though - simply no point - the iPod is a media PLAYER, if you want a recorder, buy an iPhone. Also no WiFi - it seems clear Apple wants you to connect these things to your Mac as with the iPhone. I guess this makes sense as your Mac (or heaven forbid your PC) is really the hub from which you manage everything and keep "originals" (for want of a better word). I'm not very technical but I also imagine that downloading to your home "hub" has implications for controlling DRM etc and also leaves your devices less prone to hacking from WiFi etc. Also saves a lot of battery and people are very quick to criticize Apple over battery issues.

Whether or not Apple thinks like this I really don't know. They usually seem to play things pretty safe (who can blame them after their near collapse with various disasterous new gadgets in the past (Pippin, Newton anyone (yes, yes I bought one)?)). Occasionally they come up with a real corker of an idea (iPod) but they have to make sure it works really well before putting out there and then play safe again.

It seems that some people here want one of those do everything gadgets with all the bells and whistles - I really don't think this is Apple's strategy - you can buy any number of these sort of gadgets from other manufacturers and they tend to look like parts-bin specials with lights and buttons all over and have clunky, non-integrated operation (I was recently very underwhelmed by the Nokia N95). Compare those "Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" products next to something as sleek and integrated as something from Apple which to coin their phrase "just works". IMHO they will stick to making products that serve a dedicated purpose and do it well.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Correct. Apple comes out with a true video 6G iPod with a 3.5" 3:2 aspect ratio touchscreen with Multi-touch, consumers will go wild and buy 'em by the millions. That's what everyone has been expecting since the iPhone was introduced in January.

Now, keep the WiFi component from the iPhone and let users download music right from the iPod. Wowee Zowee!

I have bigger dreams about WiFi than in the iPods than that. What I would want to Apple offering an iPod which allows you to stream music/movies/youtube videos from iTunes(the computer) to the iPod which is located in another room. Off course the iPod would be sitting in a dock which has connectivety like RCA and S-video. That would in my opinion be something very sweet which is perfect for people with a large house
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by homeboy87 View Post

I have bigger dreams about WiFi than in the iPods than that. What I would want to Apple offering an iPod which allows you to stream music/movies/youtube videos from iTunes(the computer) to the iPod which is located in another room. Off course the iPod would be sitting in a dock which has connectivety like RCA and S-video. That would in my opinion be something very sweet which is perfect for people with a large house

Why not just buy AppleTV?
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgb1975 View Post

Why not just buy AppleTV?

I don't like it.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    At this point I would imagine most people are expecting the new iPod to be like the iPhone minus the phone. Anything less, I think will be disappointing.

I would add maybe a little larger widescreen, more capacity of course, like 80gig and 120gig and hopefully wi-fi.

I also have hard time believing that will cannibalize iPhone sales. I know many people that won't buy an iPhone because AT&T service and reception. Plus, lots of people want more storage and do not want to be tied up to a two years contract. So the iPod will appease all these folks and the iPhone will have their followers too. I believe the two products can coexist in harmony and Apple will make a killing selling them.

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone? That's why I bet the new iPod will be superior as media player than the iPhone is.

So bring it on by no later than October.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone?

That's the best comment I've read in this thread so far. The iPod G6 better be a better iPod than the iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    hello everyone ,

iPod 30GB , iPod Shuffle 1GB stocks have virtually dried up here in our local mkt , most dealers have run out of stock . Supply of iPod nano 2GB has also stopped , only 4GB nano is still available , mainly cause is sales are slow out here .

Internally we have been told to expect a 2nd week of Sept Launch of the new range of iPods but most sites are expecting a end of Sept ..... exact launch dates is anybody guess. ...

interesting to read the article here at apple insider and mac rumours about a touch screen ipod .....but yes I could surely say Apple will and should improve upon the internal OS of the ipod .... and add many more software features ....similar to tht of the iPhone --- even apple TV .... i like the feature in which you click on the cover ... it turns and you can select the song from the list ..... photo management also need improvement

maybe apple might let go of the "click wheel" and replace it with a "MULTI TOUCH" touch pad ... similar to the touch pad on our laptops .... but MULTI Touch ... thus making it similar to that of the iPhone .

what say ?

Kartik
  • Reply 52 of 82
    College promotion for $200 off ends Sep 16th. I am betting they wait until this is over - not giving money on the new stuff - and clearing out inventory. But I am waiting to buy my iMac until after the Tuesday before- the 11th.

b
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bnsmmr View Post

My guess (wishful thinking...) for how the iPod line will look this holiday season, based upon a mish-mash of the rumors I have seen float by.

iPod Touch

iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

I'd pay - if they just happened to forget to take out that GSM radio
  • Reply 54 of 82
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keenspoon View Post

College promotion for $200 off ends Sep 16th. I am betting they wait until this is over - not giving money on the new stuff - and clearing out inventory. But I am waiting to buy my iMac until after the Tuesday before- the 11th.

b

Even if the new ones are released before the 16th only the old ones will be included in the deal. Last year the new nanos dropped before I bought my college promo MBP and I was still only eligible for the 1G nano.

I'm still using it as I wait for a full screen ipod, but those nano, video hybrid sneak shot don't look bad to me either, I wonder if I could live with one.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    iPod shuffle--no hardware changes externally, but there will now be a 2 GB model in addition to a 1 GB model. 1 GB will now cost US$60 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--no hardware changes externally, but 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model in silver case becomes low end model, 8 GB model becomes "mainstream" model with up to ten different color cases, and new 16 GB model in black and red case only. Prices will be lowered (US$150 for 4 GB, US$200 for 8 GB, and US$250 for 16 GB).

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$299 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$399 for 120 GB model.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

iPod Touch

iPhone without the phone. New top line of iPods. High capacity and hard drive based. Includes WiFi, camera, etc., just no Edge or phone. This is an important cog in Apple's grand scheme to quickly grow Safari marketshare. Shared platform with iPhone, including upcoming software additions, widgets, features, etc. that come to iPhone. Expensive with generous margin built-in. iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

iPod Touch won't happen. All full size iPods will be touch or not. Apple started fragmenting the iPod line when they introduced the iPod Photo. They acknowledge it was a marketing mistake. That is why the iPod Photo quickly became the iPod.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    By the way, I hope that Apple decides to offer a small display on the next-generation iPod shuffle. With good reason: both the Creative ZEN Touch Plus and the Sandisk Sansa Clip offer a display to show track title, track time and battery life, something that is sorely lacking on the current Shuffle.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

My guess (wishful thinking...) for how the iPod line will look this holiday season, based upon a mish-mash of the rumors I have seen float by.

iPod Shuffle

Fundamentally unchanged. Maybe a slight increase in storage or reduction in price.

iPod Nano

Similar form-factor to today's nano, possibly slightly lower price or more capacity, but the signature changes are:

1) Flashy new user-interface (that is shared with the regular iPod).

2) Ability to utilize all of the media that was previously restricted to the iPod video (videos, games, etc.). Touted as all the power and features of the iPod video, now available at nano prices. Although the viewing experience on a device this small might leave something to be desired, it would do in a pinch, and would significantly expand the potential market for iTunes video-related content and games.

iPod

The 6G version of the standard iPod. Still hard drive based with click wheel. The main mission here is to spank the dickens out of the HD-based Zune and undercut whatever they might come up with for version 2.

1) Significantly flashier new user-interface (shared with the Nano). Say what you want about the Zune, on the surface at least, its UI makes the iPod's look kind of out-dated.

2) Same size screen as current version, but iPod reduced in overall physical size. Apple thrives on making things smaller and bragging about it.

3) They'll accept a thin margin on this to keep prices as low as possible and difficult for others to compete with. When Apple talked about thinner margins this quarter due to product transitions, I think this was a key component.

4) No WiFi or other significant bells and whistles borrowed from the iPhone. This is for those who want a high-capacity music player at a knock-out price. Video will still play but be de-emphasized; video is now a focus of iPod #4 below.

iPod Touch

iPhone without the phone. New top line of iPods. High capacity and hard drive based. Includes WiFi, camera, etc., just no Edge or phone. This is an important cog in Apple's grand scheme to quickly grow Safari marketshare. Shared platform with iPhone, including upcoming software additions, widgets, features, etc. that come to iPhone. Expensive with generous margin built-in. iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

Sounds really good to me. I like the lineup. Makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Sounds really good to me. I like the lineup. Makes perfect sense.

Nah.

iPod Shuffle: Same, maybe a bump to 2GB.

iPod Nano: Same except for using the new NANDs to double storage. The form factor is already amazingly good and the size really precludes video (might support it like it does photos but meh). 4GB, 8GB and 16GB. $149/$199/$249

iPod Mini: This is what we see pictures of with the scroll wheel and larger display (the one Apple sent C&D letter out for). Flash based but does video. Uses new NANDs. 8GB and 16GB. OSX. $249/$349

iPod: The iPhone sans phone. Uses HDD and not flash (other than to run the OS). 120GB and 160GB $499/$599

120GB/160gb might be a bit aggressive since the 120gb Samsung drive is $249. Perhaps 100GB/120GB.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    iPod shuffle--new, slightly larger model with small display to show track name, track time and battery life. 1 GB will now cost US$70 and 2 GB model will cost US$100.

iPod nano--will look like current nano but with 5/8" height cut off, thanks to reduced-size electronics. Two different versions are offered, one 4 GB with up to ten different color metallic cases and one 8 GB with red metallic and black case only. 4 GB model will cost US$150 and 8 GB model will cost US$200.

iPod nano video--new model that looks like a 2G nano "writ large" with wider case (but same sized Click Wheel) that accommodates a display almost as large as the 5.5G iPod so it can play back videos. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB flash memory storage versions in five different color cases. Cost will be US$250 for 8 GB model and US$300 for 16 GB model.

6G iPod video--all new model in a case about the same size as 5.5G iPod that uses a fullscreen display with touchscreen interface. It will be available with 80 GB and 120 GB hard disk storage. Cost will be US$350 for 80 GB model and US$400 for 120 GB model. There will be NO Wi-Fi capability, but will offer Bluetooth connectivity for interfacing with wireless headphones and Bluetooth-enabled car stereos.