Anyway to slow down the processor speed on a MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know this is probably an unusual question but is there an app or way to slow down your MBP processor speed? I'm getting a 2.16GHz machine and would like to slow it down to around 1.6 to 1.8GHz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I know this is probably an unusual question but is there an app or way to slow down your MBP processor speed? I'm getting a 2.16GHz machine and would like to slow it down to around 1.6 to 1.8GHz.

Gonna hafta say no. The closest thing is to tell it to reduce processor performance while on battery, but it'll be a pretty negligible difference.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you need to slow it down?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

Gonna hafta say no. The closest thing is to tell it to reduce processor performance while on battery, but it'll be a pretty negligible difference.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you need to slow it down?

Well, I've read that some people's MBP covers are warped. I've also heard others say that their MBP's are starting to run hotter. So, I'm speculating that the heat is causing the lids to warp. I also noticed this on the MBP's at the apple store but didn't see it on the MB's. So it might not be the heat but maybe the case design.

Anyway, I'm getting a brand new MBP on Monday (via UPS). It's my first new mac since I bought a new powermac 8600. I am very picky when it comes to fit and finish on things that cost this much or more and am hoping (more like worrying) that it doesn't have (and doesn't get) a warped cover.

I also mostly use my computer for browsing and email and don't see a need to be running at 2.16Ghz for this. I'd be happy if this was cut in half as I have been using a 450MHz single proc g4 for email and web browsing and it's been more than enough. So I figure that 1.08GHz dual proc machine would still be way faster than what I'm using now. Plus, running slower will extend the battery life.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    You've got to be joking. Just get Apple Care. They will fix it for you if that happens. When you read those "horror" stories, it's always a negligible amount of people that actually have a problem. Chances are you will have no problems at all. I have none, and have never had any my entire Mac experience. The one thing you must always do no matter what is buy Apple Care. It's mandatory.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrwallace View Post

You've got to be joking. Just get Apple Care. They will fix it for you if that happens. When you read those "horror" stories, it's always a negligible amount of people that actually have a problem. Chances are you will have no problems at all. I have none, and have never had any my entire Mac experience. The one thing you must always do no matter what is buy Apple Care. It's mandatory.

I'm planning on getting it.

In regards to those "horror" stories, I think most people tend not to post here when all is well. And on the flip side, when somebody has spent 2 grand and something breaks, I understand that they are angry as heck. I would be. And I would want to tell everybody I know how that thing I bought from that company broke or whatever after a few weeks or so. Since Apple has been selling lots of notebooks, when I read those horror stories, I consider that the vast majority of content people have not posted about how great their purchased product is working.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Personally Im curious as to how hot an aluminum case has to get to warp? I know aluminium doesnt have a high melting point but honestly a metal case getting so hot that it warps? Personally Id have to believe the "reported" warping cases as very isolated insitences. And since your getting apple care then who cares about what the machine does to itself. Just be careful of dropping it =-).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I also mostly use my computer for browsing and email and don't see a need to be running at 2.16Ghz for this. I'd be happy if this was cut in half as I have been using a 450MHz single proc g4 for email and web browsing and it's been more than enough.

The Core 2 Duo drops to 1.0 gHz when not under load. You don't have to do anything special.

As mentioned, you can also set the processor to Reduced in the Energy Saver panel.

You can also disable one of the cores with the Processor preference pane if you are really obsessing about this. You need to install the developer tools to get this.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

You can also disable one of the cores with the Processor preference pane if you are really obsessing about this. You need to install the developer tools to get this.

Really? Didn't know this but will check it out. Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I'm not sure if you know this, but a much much easier solution would simply be to install SMC Fan Control where you can set different fan rpm speeds either manually or save the speed preferences so that at a certain event, the fan rpm is changed to whatever your preferred speed. It does not permit anything below 2000 rpm for safety purposes. This should be a good solution for you and still allow maximum processor performance, which is arguably one of the reasons you are buying a new MacBook Pro in the first place.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macadelphia View Post

I'm not sure if you know this, but a much much easier solution would simply be to install SMC Fan Control where you can set different fan rpm speeds either manually or save the speed preferences so that at a certain event, the fan rpm is changed to whatever your preferred speed. It does not permit anything below 2000 rpm for safety purposes. This should be a good solution for you and still allow maximum processor performance, which is arguably one of the reasons you are buying a new MacBook Pro in the first place.

We've got a lot of family video on VHS and 8mm that we need to transfer to DVDs so I'm hoping that this MBP does it way faster than my 450MHz G4 was. If I remember correctly, it took around half a day to burn a single DVD on the G4. I've got to believe that the MBP is going to take way less than this.

Thanks for the SMC fan suggestion. I'll check it out.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    FWIW, I found this app that slows down your MBP. It's called CoolBook.

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/11/14/coolb...ok-pro-cooler/

Has anybody used it?