Apple & Sun StarOffice Partnership

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    "Haven't you done that already? I thought you moved to Linux on PPC or something after the whole Rage suport fiasco. (Sincere question, not trying to push your buttons.) "

Lemon Bon Bon

Slap an Aqua Apple on 'Star Office' and slap an Omni Aqua on Chimera...iapps intergration...bon voyage M$!

It's so simple...surely Apple won't get caught without either when M$ kills Apple support in return for the Switch campaign...?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    The idea of a professional office suite based on open source and running smoothly on OS X is a delicious thought. Why not? Why should everyone trying to get their work done be a slave to Microsoft? They are the 'standard' in the way that Godzilla is the standard mutant-dinosaur stomping on your city of choice. They are huge, and you have a hard time saying no, don't crush me...I'll pay the $500 now and all the upgrade costs!

Being used to something doesn't make it the best choice. Are there enough rebels at Apple, Sun, IBM, and the entire Linux and open source communities to give us some strong alternative choices?

Appleworks isn't tough enough (like its distant cousin MS Works). But if there are pro and consumer lines of hardware, the software should follow.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "The idea of a professional office suite based on open source and running smoothly on OS X is a delicious thought. Why not? Why should everyone trying to get their work done be a slave to Microsoft? They are the 'standard' in the way that Godzilla is the standard mutant-dinosaur stomping on your city of choice. They are huge, and you have a hard time saying no, don't crush me...I'll pay the $500 now and all the upgrade costs!"

Heh. Good analogy. Apple=stealth bomber squadron. Godzilla's goin' down...on da bridge, bro'.

Seriously, I hope they do an Aqua Star Office and bundle it as a free give away with each Mac sold...!!!

"Being used to something doesn't make it the best choice. Are there enough rebels at Apple, Sun, IBM, and the entire Linux and open source communities to give us some strong alternative choices?"

I think so.

2003. We'll find out.

We got Maya 4.5 don't we?

If we can have that then I'm sure an Office app won't be far behind.

Apple r gonna be kickin' ass...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 44 of 57
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>Apple r gonna be kickin' ass...

Lemon Bon Bon </strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 45 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Well I've had a few days to digest this rumor, and the more I think of it, the more I come to believe that it's simply a warning shot across Microsoft's bow.

Let's face it: Apple doesn't simply let critically important software projects escape 1 Infinite Loop six months before the earliest release.

And if that Sun guy let the cat out of the bag, Steve is more likely to say "good riddence to 'em, bring on AppleWorks 7." Either that or the poor guy's head is already mounted on a wall at Pixar.

But the most intriguing part is that the Apple spokesperson on the subject confirmed that they were providing assistance to Sun, rather than the standard "we don't comment on unannounced projects."

Methinks this is a deliberate, calculated leak designed to let Microsoft know that Apple has an exit strategy and are in position to counter a MS pullout if one happens.

I think reading this as a definite commitment to a new Office suite is a mistake. Apple's testing their nukes, but they want to negotiate - not fire.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    "Apple's testing their nukes"

I like the sound of that!

R U watching, Redmond?

Nah. I think Apple are going to do an Office, by hook or crook. M$ pulling Office won't stop them.

Apple don't take kindly to be threatened by anybody.

They did Watson. They did Premiere. They just demonstrated core iapps related to parts of the Office Suite etc. Eg address, isync, ical vs Entourage...

If they can do that to their 'friends' you can safely say their enemies won't fair any better. 'X' office is on its way.

I think M$ Office is next up. Full cross hare.

Nuke? Yeah...I think so.

Where Apple make software...they do it as good if not heaps better than what they are competing against.

See Jaguar.

Apple have 4 billion plus in the bank. The best looking computers running the best OS out there in the best retail outlets out there selling on the best website computer store out there with the best looking versions of apps out there...with an entourage of freebies with .Mac now being used to 'close' the sale.

Apple couldn't afford to go after M$ before. Ship needed steadying.

These days? The ship is steady...but they can't afford not to go after M$ market share...otherwise...the 'wallmart' Dells' will gradually erode Apple's rump. Now is the time for the apple platform to go after M$/Dell with all guns blazing. This is the best chance/time Apple have had in years! The x86 market is on the ropes! Disallusionment with M$ is at its highest.

Everybody from Linux to IBM and Sun are after M$ (and M$ are seeking distration going after Sony...) Sorry, but lessons in history speak of 'Empires' over extending their reach.

I don't think Apple will be happy until they get 25% of the cake. Implausible? We shall see.

They have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Heck...if they get decent engines in their computers...they'll be laughing...

Lemon Bon Bon

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Lemon Bon Bon ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 57
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Lets face it, when Apple prices a product it isn't a question of whether they're going to rape your anus or not, just whether they're going to lubricate.

A FREE, professional, and fully Office compatible suite, shipping with EVERY MAC would be just <a href="http://www.astroglide.com/freesample/"; target="_blank">what the doctor ordered</a>.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member

<strong>

We got Maya 4.5 don't we?

Sorta...but this is only complete, not unlimited
  • Reply 49 of 57
    "unlimited"

Yeah. I'm sure Alias will give us that when we get something alot faster than expensive 'Slowsilvers'.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Okay. 'No' Staroffice then...but hey,

...we'll get Open Office with Aqua lick by 2005, right?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 51 of 57
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member

<strong>Okay. 'No' Staroffice then...but hey,

...we'll get Open Office with Aqua lick by 2005, right?

It's open source, so Apple could just throw a bunch of their programmers into the project if they feel that having it sooner would be good.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    So now everyone's confused (except maybe Steve...)

It's obvious the CNET story couldn't have been a complete fabrication, the quotes just don't matchup with the final "clarification."

Methinks that StarOffice just got "Steved" for opening their mouth too soon. AppleWorks 7 here we come.

Just one more thing. Does anyone get Sun? These grandiose cowboys have these visions of slaying Microsoft dancing in their heads, but always seem to stop short of what's actually required.

When Apple shares were a bargain and Robert Morgan was actively pushing for a Sun takeover of Apple, they didn't follow through.

When some genius at Sun realized that Office was the main cash cow for Microsoft and needed to be countered, they created StarOffice. But instead of making it compatible across platforms so it could be a standard, they didn't follow through.

Right now I think Apple should stay far away from these jokers. If they think Solaris or Linux or Java will ever comprise a mainstream OS, they're kidding only themselves. Gates probably will (and should) grind them into the ground.

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: Frank777 ]</p>
  • Reply 53 of 57
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Lets face it, when Apple prices a product it isn't a question of whether they're going to rape your anus or not, just whether they're going to lubricate.

A FREE, professional, and fully Office compatible suite, shipping with EVERY MAC would be just <a href="http://www.astroglide.com/freesample/"; target="_blank">what the doctor ordered</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From the link...

"Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. And we highly recommend you use that time to do some serious endurance training."

HAH!

And for the sake of relevance...Microsoft bad, open source good. And, well, uh.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    <a href="http://www.macminute.com"; target="_blank">http://www.macminute.com</a>;

Wellllll.

Look-ee here.

Sun 'have' provided 'programming assistance' and Apple aint flat out denying a 'Star Office'.

Sure, Sun/Apple. What ever you say

Our (and M$'s...) little secret, right?

And bundled free with every Mac.

I can hardly wait...

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 55 of 57
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i agree, LBB. considering the fact that sun "categorically denied" that they THEMSELVES were porting StarOffice to the Mac, but then said "no comment" as to whether Apple was doing it on their own, AND they said they offered programming assistance to Apple (though that may just be for Java in general...maybe)...

in this case, what they AREN'T saying speaks volumes...

• Reply 56 of 57
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    perhaps this is why M$ is suddenly re-thinking the price of Office for the Mac....conversation heard in redmond cubicle in basement..."ummm, apple is making an open source Office with those bastards at Sun....what should we do?? i know, will lower the price of office from 500 to 469 and send a horses head to apple and sun...." g