Apple seeing "unprecedented" surge in MacBook demand

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

This morning while at the airport waiting for my flight to leave, there were 7 people using laptop computers. 5 of them were Macs.

I seem to see this every time I travel. Am I just drawn to the Macs, or is there a higher user base than what is referenced?

Most pc users just hide in shame...
  • Reply 122 of 131
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Do you think Apple's growth will make it harder for Apple to stay Apple?
  • Reply 123 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Most pc users just hide in shame...

I don't think that's it.

I really believe a big amount of people with laptops out in the airport are just showing off. While getting out of LAX I saw way too many with laptops and not enough actually paying attention to their screens. I had my work ThinkPad with me, but didn't see a reason to take it out.

Not to mention that airports are still very ill equipped with the amount of power plugs available. While waiting for a flight out of Newark NJ that was first delayed 6 hours and then canceled altogether, you could see groups of people huddled together around one plug. They would each charge their notebook or cell phone in turns...two women got into it about who was next to charge their phone. I helped out couple of little kids who were assed out of charging their GameBoy and were being punked around by adults who just wanted to charge their phones. I love when my 225pounds and an eastern-european accent work in my favor. That was my good deed for the month.
  • Reply 124 of 131
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I don't think that's it.

I really believe a big amount of people with laptops out in the airport are just showing off. While getting out of LAX I saw way too many with laptops and not enough actually paying attention to their screens. I had my work ThinkPad with me, but didn't see a reason to take it out.

Not to mention that airports are still very ill equipped with the amount of power plugs available. While waiting for a flight out of Newark NJ that was first delayed 6 hours and then canceled altogether, you could see groups of people huddled together around one plug. They would each charge their notebook or cell phone in turns...two women got into it about who was next to charge their phone. I helped out couple of little kids who were assed out of charging their GameBoy and were being punked around by adults who just wanted to charge their phones. I love when my 225pounds and an eastern-european accent work in my favor. That was my good deed for the month.

It's borderline criminal how poorly equipped airports are for computers and electronic devices. Especially when one considers how often flights are delayed or cancelled, leading to longer than expected time in the airport. I wish all airports in the US offered free wi fi and had much better availability to electric outlets. It's a pipe dream, I know.
  • Reply 125 of 131
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,442moderator
    Quote:

I helped out couple of little kids who were assed out of charging their GameBoy and were being punked around by adults who just wanted to charge their phones. I love when my 225pounds and an eastern-european accent work in my favor. That was my good deed for the month.

Maybe those guys were businessmen needing to keep in touch with their company or had wives in labour and eagerly awaiting news on how things are going and you supersede those possible needs with those of a couple of children wanting to play video games? That doesn't sound like a good deed. No matter if their needs were less urgent, the simple fact that they are adults requiring a means of communication is by far, more important than a child's entertainment.

Quote:

Not to mention that airports are still very ill equipped with the amount of power plugs available.

It could be that all the PCs just ran out of battery before the Macs and kids were hogging the power supply aided by some giant bully.
  • Reply 126 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe those guys were businessmen needing to keep in touch with their company or had wives in labour and eagerly awaiting news on how things are going and you supersede those possible needs with those of a couple of children wanting to play video games? That doesn't sound like a good deed. No matter if their needs were less urgent, the simple fact that they are adults requiring a means of communication is by far, more important than a child's entertainment.

I don't think that's an excuse to bully kids out of a power connection.

If a business isn't robust enough to handle a person being out of touch for a few hours, then giving them priority is just delaying the inevitable.

At any rate, I guess I'll be sure to bring a very compact power splitter for situations like that.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    It's amazing how people used telephones just a few years ago to keep in touch with their businesses, but now seem to need a computer to ask how things are going.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It's borderline criminal how poorly equipped airports are for computers and electronic devices. Especially when one considers how often flights are delayed or cancelled, leading to longer than expected time in the airport. I wish all airports in the US offered free wi fi and had much better availability to electric outlets. It's a pipe dream, I know.

I tried to get get online at Pittsburg (free wifi) and it was so slow I gave up. It was like a 300 baud modem.
  • Reply 129 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Hmmm.... NO. If you were to see this in person you'd be just as pissed off as I was. I sat close enough to hear all of their conversations... just BSing here and there, and actually laughing at the kids when they politely asked to charge up for half an hour.

Adults requiring means of communication? That is funny. When you have kids, let me know which one is more important when you're stuck for 6 hours at the airport.
  • Reply 130 of 131
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

When you have kids, let me know which one is more important when you're stuck for 6 hours at the airport.

Gameboy. DS. Portable DVD Player. PSP. iPod.

Phone? Who cares? Its not like I can call for help and I've got enough problems at hand.
  • Reply 131 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Phone? Who cares? Its not like I can call for help and I've got enough problems at hand.

Well, once the plane got canceled I tried calling Continental to reschedule and found out there was a 45 minute wait time... I got hung up on 30 minutes in. But the kids were still playing.