01-18-08? Cloverfield? what?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
i stumbled upon a movie called "01-18-08" or Cloverfield".

but next to a movietrailer i couldn't find any real info about it.

to bad - the trailer was kind of cool and creapy.

seems like there is a big marketing-thing is going on around the movie.

has anybody have more information about the movie?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    well, there is a website... but look for yourself...

and a wiki writes this about it.

hmmmm....
  • Reply 2 of 9
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member

JJ Abrams explains the "Cloverfield" Trailer

Quote:

“I’m very active on this one, as I plan to be on all Bad Robot projects. The only things I’ve been involved with which I haven’t really had any creative role were What About Brian and Six Degrees — both shows that existed before Bad Robot really opened for business (meaning, when I put my team together),” Abrams said while on vacation in Maine. “Cloverfield is an idea that I had over a year ago, which I sold to Paramount. The point-of-view thing (Handicam) is the whole movie. Scenes from the trailer are in the film. I got a really talented guy (Drew Goddard) to write (we’ve worked together on Alias and, presently, Lost), and Matt Reeves to direct (we co-created Felicity and he’s pretty damn genius-level). We’ll be announcing the real title shortly.”

• Reply 3 of 9
    the more i look for info - the more i get pissed off about the "anti-information" i get.

i guess i'm to old for being played around with
  • Reply 4 of 9
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member
    I hope it has a Lovecraft twist/plot. I don't think the public wants another Godzilla movie either. Speaking of monster movies, go and see the Korean film"Gwoemul (The Host)". One of the best contemporary monster films ever. The effect were convincing, but not as high grade as many Hollywood offerings. Still a suspenseful, funny and scary flick.

Trailer
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

...Speaking of monster movies, go and see the Korean film"Gwoemul (The Host)". One of the best contemporary monster films ever. The effect were convincing, but not as high grade as many Hollywood offerings. Still a suspenseful, funny and scary flick...[/URL]

i saw the trailer of "the host" and was pretty impressed.

i hope the movie has the "different touch" to it, like the trailer.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    sorry... after searching the web i found out this is old news.

my bad
  • Reply 7 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peve View Post

i saw the trailer of "the host" and was pretty impressed.

i hope the movie has the "different touch" to it, like the trailer.

Meh... I rented "The Host" and was disappointed. The best thing about it were the solidly convincing effects, and oddly, most of the time when the creature was NOT on screen. The movie also just ran too bloody long. If they had chopped 1/2 hour out, it would never have been missed.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I thought the Host was terrific. I'm liking a lot of Korean genre films right now-- it's like someone forgot to tell any of the directors in Korea that they're supposed to pick a tone and stick with it, so you get slapstick, pathos, terror, family dynamics, work-a-day verisimilitude, political satire, and dreamy lyricism, sometimes all in the same scene. I love the sense of surprise when things don't go the way I've been conditioned to expect, say, a "monster movie" to go.

The cloverfield thing looks like a lot of fun. It was only a matter of time till somebody thought to do that "handheld camcorder with state of the art effects" thing, which for my money really goes a long way toward selling the sense of immersion and immediacy, especially now that we're all jaded by years of anything we can imagine CGI.

We just haven't seen enough of this particular strategy yet (some video game ads, mostly) to have learned to dismiss it as "fake". Something about seeing the Statue of Liberty's head come careening down the street in the context of "home video"......
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I thought the Host was terrific. I'm liking a lot of Korean genre films right now-- it's like someone forgot to tell any of the directors in Korea that they're supposed to pick a tone and stick with it, so you get slapstick, pathos, terror, family dynamics, work-a-day verisimilitude, political satire, and dreamy lyricism, sometimes all in the same scene. I love the sense of surprise when things don't go the way I've been conditioned to expect, say, a "monster movie" to go.

The cloverfield thing looks like a lot of fun. It was only a matter of time till somebody thought to do that "handheld camcorder with state of the art effects" thing, which for my money really goes a long way toward selling the sense of immersion and immediacy, especially now that we're all jaded by years of anything we can imagine CGI.

We just haven't seen enough of this particular strategy yet (some video game ads, mostly) to have learned to dismiss it as "fake". Something about seeing the Statue of Liberty's head come careening down the street in the context of "home video"......

I've been on a Korean movie kick for a long time now (after most of the Hong Kong and Japanese flicks started to get stale and repetitive)... I even rented "The Foul King" and loved it!

Korea has a lot of dramatically new material to offer filmgoers, the stories don't feel reworked for the millionth time, and their history gives their approach to filmmaking an exciting edge.

Also new exciting cinema is springing forth from Thailand. Their quality of movies has been going way up.