iPhone's Dirty Little Secret?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Maybe not a secret to all of you, but I was sure surprised when I went to the apple store and was told that the little ding/scratch on my iPhone that I got from my keychain voided my warranty and it would be $250 to fix the battery problem I have been having with my iPhone.

KEEP YOUR IPHONE PROTECTED!!! All cosmetic damage will void your warranty.

Here is video of my story, please pass it around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6iYTVawC4

They said the scratch/dings shows the iphone had been damaged by abuse, thus voiding the warranty and their responsibilities of fixing it. Im sure when I go back later this week I will get somewhere with it, I just didnt ask to speak to a manager or anything because I was going to make sure their flash of the firmware (reinstall) didnt fix the battery problem. (Battery only lasts 3 hours of talk time)

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redban View Post

Maybe not a secret to all of you, but I was sure surprised when I went to the apple store and was told that the little ding/scratch on my iPhone that I got from my keychain voided my warranty and it would be $250 to fix the battery problem I have been having with my iPhone.

KEEP YOUR IPHONE PROTECTED!!! All cosmetic damage will void your warranty.

Here is video of my story, please pass it around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T6iYTVawC4

They said the scratch/dings shows the iphone had been damaged by abuse, thus voiding the warranty and their responsibilities of fixing it. Im sure when I go back later this week I will get somewhere with it, I just didnt ask to speak to a manager or anything because I was going to make sure their flash of the firmware (reinstall) didnt fix the battery problem. (Battery only lasts 3 hours of talk time)

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/

Did you just sign up to tell us?

First of all, either this story is a little fishy - or the person you spoke with was a moron. "cosmetic damage" doesn't "void your warranty." It just means they won't repair your screen because you scratched it. It has nothing to do with the battery.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OBJRA10 View Post

Did you just sign up to tell us?

First of all, either this story is a little fishy - or the person you spoke with was a moron. "cosmetic damage" doesn't "void your warranty." It just means they won't repair your screen because you scratched it. It has nothing to do with the battery.

well then he is a moron but i briefly argued with him and he stood his ground.. he said the scratch/dings showed that I abused it, and it might have caused some internal damage, and yeah, I just signed up here, but I have been a reader for awhile.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redban View Post

well then he is a moron but i briefly argued with him and he stood his ground.. he said the scratch/dings showed that I abused it, and it might have caused some internal damage, and yeah, I just signed up here, but I have been a reader for awhile.

Hello Redban and welcome to the forum. I am a cat.

Your experience, if that's how it went down, is a big misunderstanding.

It may be that your arguing may have entrenched the genius in a position that does not sound like a correct one. Perhaps they were having a bad day, or perhaps you just had bad chemistry not that any of that should matter.

The section you highlighted says nothing about cosmetic damage voiding a warranty, only that cosmetic damage isn't itself covered.

Here's some things you could do:

Call AppleCare (1-800-myiphone) and ask for their assistance.

Call the store and ask to speak to the manager. Explain the situation calmly, and ask for assurance that if you return they will not refuse your request for repair due to unrelated cosmetic damage.

Visit the store again or another store and request that they repair your iPhone. If you encounter the same person who invokes the same position, ask to work with someone else.

If all else fails (virtually inconceivable) and you are not making this up (I believe you, I'm just saying...) and your iPhone is not fatally damaged with a cleaver sticking out of it (you never know), call Apple customer service which is not the same thing as AppleCare.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    This user's experience goes against everything I have heard from other users who have damaged their iPhones beyond repair. A friend ran his over with a car, got a free replacement by an Apple genius. I've read and heard a lot of stories where people have received replacement iPhones for their abuse.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    whmwhm Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

This user's experience goes against everything I have heard from other users who have damaged their iPhones beyond repair. A friend ran his over with a car, got a free replacement by an Apple genius. I've read and heard a lot of stories where people have received replacement iPhones for their abuse.

My first iPhone started not responding to making out going calls. Could answer incoming but could not send. The phone is a tool and I carry it in my pocket and it did have scratches. The genis at the Apple store tried to make a call and determined it was a problem and I walked out with a brand new phone in less than 15 minutes..... problem solved
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

my brother dropped his on a concrete floor. it had a big dent in it. it would no longer play any sounds through the external speakers. voice calls, music, videos, speakerphone, etc. he went to the apple store and told the genius "i dropped it on a concrete floor. it has this big dent in it." the genius looked at it and said, "yep, doesn't work. here's a new one." my brother way surprised. the genius said "it's not my money. my job is to make sure you're happy. you're happy right?" my brother walked out with a new iphone and big smile on his face. so no, a dent didnt' invalidate his warranty, in fact, they just gave him a new phone.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    How did you approach Apple about this? I am on iPhone number 4 and have never had a problem with the folks at the Apple store.

My first one was a few hours old and the headset jack didn't work. My second kept shutting off. My third kept dropping signal. All three were 4 gig models and when I went back in they cheerfully swapped me into a 8gig model. So far all is well. I have been in the wireless handset business for almost 20 years and get to play with all the latest and greatest toys. The iPhone is far and away my favorite phone and compared to a lot of devices, pretty darn stable for a 1 generation phone. I chalk that up to OS X and sound engineering. You would be amazed at some of the junk that gets past QA at both the manufacturer and the carrier.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Update, first of all I didnt approach apple with an attitude or a lie.. jesus~ haha..

I went back to another store.. ALOT nicer "genius".. he determined my battery was an issue, by my usage screen, and the stuttering of viewing my photos (it wasnt being smooth with its animation of going from one photo to another).

BUT...

They said: (cut and paste from a few days ago)

Apple is no longer exchanging iphones that are 14 days or older..

You must rent a loaner ($39 -but I talked to a manager and had that waived).

What sucks is that I came in to the store within my 14 days to exchange my phone and they told me a full restore would fix my battery issues and to try it out. So now im out of my 14 days (by 3 days) and even the General Manager wouldnt budge, saying he couldnt do anything but waive the $39 fee, and send my phone in for repair.

So HOPEFULLY I get my phone back, and all is fixed.. and HOPEFULLY I dont "scratch or ding" the loaner or my credit card will be charged $599.

Looks like no more easy service exchanges.. They said they were notified last week to no longer exchange unless under 14 days..

UPDATE #2

The loaner had an AMAZING battery compared to mine.. WOW what a difference, maybe twice or three times the lifespan.. 7 hours talk time easily... Anyways, the replacement came ONE day later,, SUPERFAST and yes they just replaced it with a new one..

Thanks apple.