Apple confirms "Special Event" on September 5th

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will use a special media event on September 5th to introduce a new array of digital media offerings, according to digital invitations issued to analysts and members of the media Tuesday afternoon.

The invites, which arrived by e-mail, depict an enlarged CoverFlow interface with the caption, "The beat goes on." The wording appears to have been borrowed from the trailing line of The Beatles' final press release, which was issued by Apple Records on April 10, 1970, following the band's split.

"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you," read the 1970 Beatles release. "When the spinning stops -- that'll be the time to worry, not before. Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."

Apple's event is scheduled to take place at the Moscone West in San Francisco on September 5 at 10:00 a.m.

Apple is widely expected to use the gathering to usher in a new breed of Mac OS X-based iPods. Additional announcements relating to the company's iTunes software and digital media download service are also expected.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 134
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Wow, I wonder what this could be. Fingers crossed they also introduce a SR based MacBook.
  • Reply 2 of 134
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Nah...I'm 100% sure it's new OS X-based iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 134
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Widescreen iPhone-style iPods baby. Yeah.
  • Reply 4 of 134
    I've never actually wanted this to happen before, but I'd rather this was delayed for a bit because im off to New York on October 1st, where I would save money on the new ipod (assuming it is released) and have it before anyone else here no doubt. But I know that i'll be too tempted to buy it here the day its available online. I can afford it quite easily, just prefer to buy it in New York. Never mind.
  • Reply 5 of 134
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    nah.... Steve is going to announce the new MacPro Mini. A headless iMac with SLI, (2) 512mb vid cards and 5 PCI xpress card slots for $999!

It's either that or a G5 Powerbook

• Reply 6 of 134
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Yay new ipods :yawn:. So when's the next Mac event, October? Sigh, so far away.

Only touch screen ipods running OS X (and not only the 2nd will suffice) can appease me. If they bring out stupid wide ipod nanos and old-style but flash-based video ipods, I'll chalk it up as yet another lame event - not sure if I'll fit another one on the board, it's getting so full.
  • Reply 7 of 134
    When is Leopard scheduled to be released? Could it be next week or will there be a different Special Event for that?
  • Reply 8 of 134
    skylorskylor Posts: 15member
    The Beat Goes On is a new Madonna song that just recently leaked onto the internet, rumored to be the new single off her upcoming him-hop infused album.
  • Reply 9 of 134
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    1. Widescreen touch interface ipod

2. AppleTV with HDTuner and DVR software

3. iTunes Movie Rental Service, TV subscription Service

4. I buy everything they sell!!!
  • Reply 10 of 134
    Name the artists from the album covers on the invite!
  • Reply 11 of 134
    citycity Posts: 522member
    private
  • Reply 12 of 134
    Keane, ?, Beastie Boys, Mika, Jack Johnson, ?
  • Reply 13 of 134
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    This will be a very interesting iPod release from a corporate strategy point of view. (Obvious prediction: No new Macs. No Leopard news. That's for another special event in October.)

But will Apple be bold or conservative? Bold like with the mini, nano, and shuffle intros. Or conservative like last year's small iPod upgrades. Will they be bold and release a widescreen OS X-based touchscreen iPod with WiFi, on the hopes that they can upsell such a user to a future 3G iPhone (since WiFi isn't everywhere), instead of worrying that they are cannibalizing today's iPhone sale? Will they be bold and move to the head of class on flash memory capacities for the iPod nano and shuffle, using their bulk in the flash market to keep competitors starved? If they do so, this would account again for the "product transition" mentioned by Apple previously as impacting this quarter's margins.

Will there be an AppleTV upgrade? To go along with a bold iTunes movie/TV subscription service? (At the iMac intro, Jobs implied he would talk about AppleTV at another event soon.)
  • Reply 14 of 134
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^^

Excellent questions. We'll know soon enough. I vote for bold. No fat iPod Nano like the rumors at Gizmondo.
  • Reply 15 of 134
    You are missing the (not so) hidden message in the invitation...

:the beat goes on:

Apple records released the following statement on behalf of the Beatles on April 10, 1970.

Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope.

The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you.

When the spinning stops ? that'll be the time to worry, not before.

Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on.

? Final Beatles press release, April 10, 1970
  • Reply 16 of 134
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knappster View Post

Keane, ?, Beastie Boys, Mika, Jack Johnson, ?

The Flaming Lips, and I don't know the last one.
  • Reply 17 of 134
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    from the event invitation i would have to guess they are going to release new xServer Raid!!!

• Reply 18 of 134
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FatWalletdotcom View Post

Apple records released the following statement on behalf of the Beatles on April 10, 1970.

Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope.

Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on.

love it!
  • Reply 19 of 134
    Quote:

Woah, DUDE!! is it like April already? man I musta mist christmas WOAH! check it out theres like a fly in the room.
  • Reply 20 of 134
    totally agree, use of "beat" makes me think of The Beatles. Maybe a 'true' Video iPod with The Beatles catalogue and "Yellow Submarine"?

Quote: