Apple confirms "Special Event" on September 5th

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    steve will come to stage and tell us

"The best iPhoneless iPod ever made!"

• Reply 22 of 134
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    "The beat goes on" was a Sonny & Cher song and the ipod on the invitation is NOT widescreen...
  • Reply 23 of 134
    iPhone Nano as well or too soon?
  • Reply 24 of 134
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc. will use a special media event on September 5th to introduce a new array of digital media offerings, according to digital invitations issued to analysts and members of the media Tuesday afternoon.

Is it just me, or is the 5th a Wednesday? I guess Labour Day pushes the event back a day. Yay! New iPod Day!
  • Reply 25 of 134
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    If Apple has really used this as a slogan for its up and coming event and it is linked to the use by the Beatles then maybe this means the end of the iPod. Apple is pulling out. Just like a band does at the peak of their career Apple is now opening up Fairplay to other players so that "The Beat Goes On"

• Reply 26 of 134
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    This is the end of something. We will know wednesday. I think it is the end of small screen nano and click wheel. The click wheel will be in the touch screen to make even the nano os-x and touch screen with 16 gig memory and video. New other varieties as well. Maybe it's the end of the zune ... lol
  • Reply 27 of 134
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

"The beat goes on" was a Sonny & Cher song and the ipod on the invitation is NOT widescreen...

If the event is to announce a special deal on the entire Sonny & Cher catalog,

that would be supremely, exquisitely lame.
  • Reply 28 of 134
    I think we will see:

1. iPod nano fatty

2. iPod 6G -- similar enclosure to 5G, but OS X based with cover flow

3. Beatles on iTMS

4. (maybe) updated iPod shuffle (perhaps a high-end black one with 2 GB, or some new colors, but otherwise the same).

I really don't see the iPod touch (phoneless iPhone) coming out anytime soon. I expect this is the thing people are looking for, and people will whine when they don't get it.

As an aside... as an iPhone user, an iPod just seems like a walkman to me now... quaint old technology for people behind the curve
  • Reply 29 of 134
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

... the ipod on the invitation is NOT widescreen...

Yeah, because Apple is going to abandon secrecy and start emailing photos of new products a week before they are announced...
  • Reply 30 of 134
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, because Apple is going to abandon secrecy and start emailing photos of new products a week before they are announced...

When the original "video ipod" was released the leaked ads and promos reflected the new larger screen.
  • Reply 31 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

*teeheehee*

Well put sir!
  • Reply 32 of 134
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

When is Leopard scheduled to be released? Could it be next week or will there be a different Special Event for that?

I don't think they will mention that until they are ready. If it's an iPod/iTunes event, then I doubt there will be a peep out of them about Leopard. They didn't even mention it during last month's "Mac event".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FatWalletdotcom View Post

You are missing the (not so) hidden message in the invitation...

:the beat goes on:

Apple records released the following statement on behalf of the Beatles on April 10, 1970.

....snip....

That's interesting. So it could be a iTunes/iPod event. Or just an iTunes event, though I think those usually go well with some hardware update of some type. I doubt it would only be an iTunes event, that would be lame, even if it's touched off by the most popular and enduring boy band ever to grace the earth.
  • Reply 33 of 134
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Merlin Mann's Yellow Submarine iPod is real!

Or, we could just have the larger-screened nano-alike, a new full-size iPod, and a tweaked shuffle.

And more videos in other iTunes areas (starting with the UK, apparently).
  • Reply 34 of 134
    The supply chain for current iPods is drying up and the holiday buying season is getting near so I'm guessing a significant enhancement to iPods.

The big question is will there be one with a full screen? Just like the iPhone? You know that the demand would be huge, but is there sufficient component supplies to meet that demand? Personally I would like to see two models, one with and one without WiFi.

I also believe that there will be an upgrade on the nano design, simply to drive demand up again.

On the iTunes side I would love to see the Beatles added, but believe that there is one more signature to get on the agreement. That leaves movie rentals as the next big thing - something that would catch my attention and credit card.
  • Reply 35 of 134
    My guess, just an iPod release and possibly a new iTunes.

New iPod Video based on OS X, but not like the iPhone with touch screen. 32gb flash, 80gb hdd. WiFi enabled. 120gb "Beatles Edition" iPod.

New iPod Nano, 8gb and 12gb with video playback support, but not OSX based.

New iPod designs to follow suit of iPhone/iMac.

Shuffle increased to 2gb, but no new design.

Possibly a new AppleTV, though my guess is that they may just expand the HDs in them to go from 40gb to 80gb. NO DVR capability (Apple would loose sales on TV shows through iTunes)

iTunes 8, with multiple/shared library support and auto-detecting music (for using the new Airport base station and attached HD for storage/AppleTV for storage.) though it could be a premium download which you need to pay 49.95 to get iTunes Server.

No new computers.

No new softwares aside from iTunes 8.

Just my ideas.
  • Reply 36 of 134
    All I know is that I'm excited!! The last two Apple products to be introduced or given a new look (the iPhone and the iMac) have both lived up with expectations. Now it is time for Apple to take a huge leap forward and update the item that jump started a revolution and put their company back on the map. Like I said all i know is I'm excited and the beat goes on!!
  • Reply 37 of 134
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yay new ipods :yawn:. So when's the next Mac event, October? Sigh, so far away.

Only touch screen ipods running OS X (and not only the 2nd will suffice) can appease me. If they bring out stupid wide ipod nanos and old-style but flash-based video ipods, I'll chalk it up as yet another lame event - not sure if I'll fit another one on the board, it's getting so full.

Well like the iPhone when Steve called it the best iPod ever, Steve will call the iPod with OSX the best mobile Mac ever. Maybe the 6G iPod will plug into a mini-docking station with a DVI port, firewire, digital audio in/out, and usb ports. I true miniature Mac.
  • Reply 38 of 134
    The beat goes on...Apple is the new Apple Records

or

The beat goes on...Steve is leaving Apple

I really hope its the first one
  • Reply 39 of 134
    The beat goes on... and AAPL keeps plummeting... oh, ****!

• Reply 40 of 134
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

If Apple has really used this as a slogan for its up and coming event and it is linked to the use by the Beatles then maybe this means the end of the iPod. Apple is pulling out. Just like a band does at the peak of their career Apple is now opening up Fairplay to other players so that "The Beat Goes On"

Makes sense. Not like the iPod makes any money for them....