Comments

• Reply 41 of 134
    citycity Posts: 522member
    private
  • Reply 42 of 134
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

If Apple has really used this as a slogan for its up and coming event and it is linked to the use by the Beatles then maybe this means the end of the iPod. Apple is pulling out. Just like a band does at the peak of their career Apple is now opening up Fairplay to other players so that "The Beat Goes On"

Yeah, WTF are you talking about?

Beatles on iTunes

HD on iTunes

new AppleTV feature

2GB black shuffle, 1GB price reduction

Nano: fm tuner, bluetooth, autofill for iTunes (PLEASE)

iPod: same as above, plus full screen and touch

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 43 of 134
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Well, I think based on the invitation and the rumors, an iPod with CoverFlow seems most likely.

At this point who cares if any of this stuff runs OS X. It's really meaningless (to anyone except the bean counters) since Apple isn't supporting 3rd party development on any of it.
  • Reply 44 of 134
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

The Flaming Lips, and I don't know the last one.

You should ()---

SONIC YOUTH; album "Rather Ripped".

• Reply 45 of 134
    If it's new iPods all 'round, I'm definitely upgrading. Screw the at&t iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 134
    I'd buy a Beatles iPod.
  • Reply 47 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The beat goes on...Apple is the new Apple Records

or

The beat goes on...Steve is leaving Apple

I really hope its the first one

Really I kind of was hoping for the second. I think its about time Apple had some new blood.

An Apple without Steve Jobs might bring along a system that the use can actually upgrade, even better Os X that can be run an any system not just Apple hardware.

Lately the releases have had all mixed reviews, iphone, imacs mixed reviews, iMovie change mixed reviews, iLife, numbers isn't all that great. I expect the new ipods and leopard to be well below expectations.

Actually a mid range system that I can upgrade and putting Os X on any system of my choice would be a wonderful gift. However I fully expect to hear the Pope converted to Jewish before either of the other two happen.
  • Reply 48 of 134
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really I kind of was hoping for the second. I think its about time Apple had some new blood.

An Apple without Steve Jobs might bring along a system that the use can actually upgrade, even better Os X that can be run an any system not just Apple hardware.

Lately the releases have had all mixed reviews, iphone, imacs mixed reviews, iMovie change mixed reviews, iLife, numbers isn't all that great. I expect the new ipods and leopard to be well below expectations.

Actually a mid range system that I can upgrade and putting Os X on any system of my choice would be a wonderful gift. However I fully expect to hear the Pope converted to Jewish before either of the other two happen.

It all sounds good to me except Apple might lose it creativity. Imagine if Mark Hurd from HP ran Apple or even Michael Dell. We'd definitely get the mid range Mac and then some. Mac OSX would be running on every vendor's hardware, but would anyone care then?

Steve's RDF is what sells a good chunk of Apple products. Apple is about classic marketing hype. Though we're left with disappointments we always come back for more, hence this and other rumor sites.
  • Reply 49 of 134
    It's been clear that Apple without Steve would be a waning Apple. He cannot be replaced, until someone plays Brutus to his Caesar.
  • Reply 50 of 134
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i need this to be new ipods! i've waited so long to purchase a new one, my second gen ipod just crapped out!
  • Reply 51 of 134
    Beatles iPod? Who knows, but I think the placement of an album's art in the invite is also quite telling...

Beastie Boys, Beatles...

Now, I know that the Joel Johnson, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips etc wouldn't make sense (non alphabetic...) but I figure it's just a subtle hint, as "the beat goes on" is.

• Reply 52 of 134
    The correct line is:

Keane - Under the Iron Sea

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Beastie boys - The Mix-Up

Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
  • Reply 53 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

This will be a very interesting iPod release from a corporate strategy point of view. (Obvious prediction: No new Macs. No Leopard news. That's for another special event in October.)

But will Apple be bold or conservative?

You know, I read that thinking great question - and leaping to something like the iPod now being independent of your personal iTunes. eg: Plug your iPod into any computer, and have it download the latest podcasts you've subscribed to, and update your smart playlists - perhaps even sync via the internet back to your regular iTunes. Maybe you could get your iPod to download purchased movies while at work and sync them to your home PC when you get home.

But that's not what you meant

And any old iPod could do that, if the iTunes on your local PC is given the brains to lookup your podcasts and remotely sync. BUT a wireless iPod might do it without iTunes.

Quote:

Bold like with the mini, nano, and shuffle intros. Or conservative like last year's small iPod upgrades. Will they be bold and release a widescreen OS X-based touchscreen iPod with WiFi, on the hopes that they can upsell such a user to a future 3G iPhone (since WiFi isn't everywhere), instead of worrying that they are cannibalizing today's iPhone sale?

I hope they take the risk. If they hobble new iPods to avoid cannibalizing the iPhone, then competitors will have the opportunity of filling the gap (and so they should and keep Apple moving!).

Quote:

Will there be an AppleTV upgrade? To go along with a bold iTunes movie/TV subscription service? (At the iMac intro, Jobs implied he would talk about AppleTV at another event soon.)

That'd be nice. In fact - allowing the iPods and AppleTV to connect to the net, download movies etc, independently of iTunes would be a nice double feature.

Subscription/rental service would be even better but I'm in Australia... so I've given up on that. I want to give Apple money but they won't let me!
  • Reply 54 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

If Apple has really used this as a slogan for its up and coming event and it is linked to the use by the Beatles then maybe this means the end of the iPod. Apple is pulling out. Just like a band does at the peak of their career Apple is now opening up Fairplay to other players so that "The Beat Goes On"

Interesting concept that it could mean "Fairplay for all".

I'm not sure why that would mean the end of the iPod though?
  • Reply 55 of 134
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Maybe they are going to announce that they are going to buy Adobe...
  • Reply 56 of 134
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Like I said in another thread, if the leaked shots are real:

Quote:

"They could do:

iPod (touch screen): 60GB $299, 100GB $399

iPod mini (stubby video): 16GB $249

iPod nano (current design): 4GB $149 (silver), 8GB $199 (old 4GB colour options)

iPod Shuffle: 2GB $69

As well as take iTunes movies international, because the mini is a another way to get people into buying video, and the mini is a strong brand that was their best seller at the time and did have paler colours than the nano (which these shots have)."

However I'd love for apple to undercut on the price even more (because we know they can) and they'd sell even more units crushing competitors even further into the ground, anyone could afford an iPod or multiple iPods:

iPod (touch screen): 60GB $299, 100GB $399

iPod mini (stubby video): 16GB $199

iPod nano (current design): 4GB $99 (silver), 8GB $149 (old 4GB colour options)

iPod Shuffle: 2GB $59

At those prices I'd get the stubby nano and a touch screen 60gb just for the hell of it, at the original prices I put I'd only get the 60gb touch.
  • Reply 57 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

iPod mini (stubby video): 16GB $199.

I doubt they could get that cheap. The 8GB nano is $249 now and can't do video. To add video & double the memory... I just don't think they can drop the price.

One thing I havent seen mentioned is the possibility that the iPhone price will come down. It had to start off high priced to meet the supply & demand. An iPod Touch wont take as man users from the iPhone if the iPhone is $100 cheaper
  • Reply 58 of 134
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Ok, Apple releases new mini-OSX iPods and reveals their software strategy. Buy mini-OSX software on iTunes, starting with a couple of widgets and an enhanced PhotoBooth with customizable frames and layers... and yeah, they announce the Beatles on iTunes.
  • Reply 59 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Maybe they are going to announce that they are going to buy Adobe...

Oh... OK then.
  • Reply 60 of 134
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

However I'd love for apple to undercut on the price even more (because we know they can) and they'd sell even more units crushing competitors even further into the ground, anyone could afford an iPod or multiple iPods:

When you're already crushing the competition, lowering your prices is pointless. Ride the profits longer.