OK...but the ques is will the ipod have WiFi????

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok...so its official.

Apple will be releasing new touchscreen ipods on the 5th.

But the big question is this....

WILL it HAVE Wifi????

I hope it does. That would be too cool for school.

But i think apple won't add this right away to set it apart from the iphone.

I currently have a 60 gig 5th gen video ipod. I won't buy a new one anytime soon. BUT....if the upcoming touchscreen ipods have wifi...then I will buy for SURE. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Will the new iPods have Wi-Fi? Absolutely, positively NO!!

For these reasons:

1) Wi-Fi circuitry will cut into battery life if activated.

2) It makes the player vulnerable to hacker attack.

3) Apple for now wants to steer people who want a portable Wi-Fi device to the iPhone first.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Ok...so its official.

Apple will be releasing new touchscreen ipods on the 5th.

But the big question is this....

WILL it HAVE Wifi????

I hope it does. That would be too cool for school.

But i think apple won't add this right away to set it apart from the iphone.

I currently have a 60 gig 5th gen video ipod. I won't buy a new one anytime soon. BUT....if the upcoming touchscreen ipods have wifi...then I will buy for SURE. :-)

Apple will be releasing iPods with coverflow functionality on Sept. 5 (or at least that appears to be a pretty good bet).

That can be done with a click wheel, so I think it's premature to decide for sure that they'll be touchscreen.

I mean, it seems fairly likely and all, but it's not a slam dunk.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Based on Apple's 'description' of the iPhone, its a phone, iPod, and revolutionary Internet communications device. If the iPod got the internet part then it wouldn't be an iPod by their standard. I think they made of clear that the iPhone will be they pocket sized Internet device.

iPod +wifi = not yet!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my take on this is that this will be the near the last if not the last generation of 'iPod' as a music player. The iPhone is just too good and once the price drops, the iPod is dead.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

my take on this is that this will be the near the last if not the last generation of 'iPod' as a music player. The iPhone is just too good and once the price drops, the iPod is dead.

And what about people who don't want a phone or don't want to use AT&T? This will most certainly not be the last iPod update.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I disagree - too many people want an iPod separate from their phone. For many good reasons including price, carrier issues, worldwide use, kids (my 10 year old is not getting an iPhone), battery life, and so on.