Bug in SMS Text Message Sounds

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this is a bug or a design flaw.

I recently set my lock-out timer to 4 minutes instead of 1 minute (I was initially concerned about battery life, which is now unfounded). Now when I SMS text message, if I leave the SMS application open with the conversation open, any text messages received will not cause the iPhone to play the standard SMS text message received sound. If I return to the home screen or lock the iPhone, the sound will play.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug, a design flaw, or just a problem with my iPhone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    The sound you are reffering to is used for notifying you of new messages, text or voice, when the phone is on the main screen, a different application, etc.

When you leave the phone in the SMS app, it then uses the iChat sounds for notifying you of new texts.

So it's definitely not a bug, and some would argue it's not a design flaw either.

If you hear no sound at all, check your settings to make sure they're all turned on.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I was going through settings and all were turned on. Still I heard no sound. Not sure what the problem was.