I have had enough. I am selling my macbook.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys. Im so sick of this discoloration issue. I am going back to my 12" powerbook. I just paid $1509 (with tax) at the apple store. Anyone want to buy it for $1150?

dual 2 ghz white macbook

1 gig on genuine apple ram

60 gig

super drive

PM me and we will work it out. I am a verified business member of paypal and I have 100% feed back on ebay

Ryan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Damn, I am expecting my mac book pro any day now and reading about all these issues really makes me nervous.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    the macbook discoloration issue does not affect the aluminum macbook pro....
  • Reply 3 of 36
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    As in roulette, always bet on black!
  • Reply 4 of 36
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    wow, nothing that 2 minutes with a .99 bottle of non acetone nail remover won't clean...sheesh.

mine's still white. the A key is getting a little dirty but that's it.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Here's a news flash: white plastic does not age well; white things show dirt. A little foresight would have saved you a lot of trouble.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baygbm

Here's a news flash: white plastic does not age well; white things show dirt. A little foresight would have saved you a lot of trouble.

My mom's 3 year old iBook shows no cosmetic problems, and neither does my 1.5-year old iBook. If Apple switches from quality plastic to crap all of a sudden, how should DrFlynn know that?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

wow, nothing that 2 minutes with a .99 bottle of non acetone nail remover won't clean...sheesh.

mine's still white. the A key is getting a little dirty but that's it.

In the MB owners' defence, let me just stop and say that if I pay $1200+ for a laptop, and the color changes after a few days of normal use...I would be demanding a fix too...

Imagine buying a car and having the paint fade to a moldy green color three weeks later...would you take the car clubs advice and "just wax it once a week to avoid that" or would you be raising hell to get a product that was built right in the first place? I think my answer is kinda obvious.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Yep. My MacBook purchase is on hold till I see some resolution to this problem.

My suspicion is that the discoloration is dependent on the chemical interaction of the user's body oils, hand lotion, soap, and other stuff with the plastic. There's no way to know if you'll discolor the MacBook till you use one for a few weeks - but then it's too late.

I'd like to see some stories of Apple sending new MacBooks to "discoloring" people and see if it is just a batch of plastics, or whether a certain person will continue to discolor other MacBooks.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    pcguru83pcguru83 Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

Yep. My MacBook purchase is on hold till I see some resolution to this problem.

My suspicion is that the discoloration is dependent on the chemical interaction of the user's body oils, hand lotion, soap, and other stuff with the plastic. There's no way to know if you'll discolor the MacBook till you use one for a few weeks - but then it's too late.

I'd like to see some stories of Apple sending new MacBooks to "discoloring" people and see if it is just a batch of plastics, or whether a certain person will continue to discolor other MacBooks.

- Jasen.

Interestingly, it appears to have nothing to do with oils in one's skin. Someone has come forth who has been using the Invisible Shield product which covers virtually the entire surface of the laptop. The stains actually formed underneath the plastic shield...and the guys hands literally never touched the plastic. It's obviously some sort of defect with the plastic used.

Feel free to read the report linked below:

http://5thirtyone.com/archives/419
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I own a White MacBook and I can say it is still White after 3 weeks non-stop usage.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    nielsdnielsd Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Interestingly, it appears to have nothing to do with oils in one's skin. Someone has come forth who has been using the Invisible Shield product which covers virtually the entire surface of the laptop. The stains actually formed underneath the plastic shield...and the guys hands literally never touched the plastic. It's obviously some sort of defect with the plastic used.

As I understand it, he aplied the film just four days before this discolouration started showing. Which means he must have used it without the film for at least a week or two, as the discolourationg doenst show before a few weeks of use.

So this could still be skin oil related..
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrFlynn

Hey guys. Im so sick of this discoloration issue. I am going back to my 12" powerbook. I just paid $1509 (with tax) at the apple store. Anyone want to buy it for $1150?

dual 2 ghz white macbook

60 gig

super drive

PM me and we will work it out. I am a verified business member of paypal and I have 100% feed back on ebay

Ryan

I trying sell my laptop also. I was woondering if want to take a look at my post in the General Disscusion. It aay Apple Powerbook free printer and Zip Drive. Is this the best place for this posting? I hope you don't me asking.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Why sell it?? Take it back to Apple and get your money back.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

Why sell it?? Take it back to Apple and get your money back.

Bingo ... instead of getting pissy here, ust take it to the Apple store or call them and tell them you're shipping it back. Make sure you back up your data externally though, since they'll probably just send you another one. What you're doing is nuts though ... cause if someone buys it from you, takes it to Apple and gets it fixed, you've esentially paid for $400 of their new computer. You have a warranty ... use it
  • Reply 15 of 36
    ukuserukuser Posts: 39member
    Ive had my white macbook since the first week of release and have no problems at all with it! Its just great!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Did this individual remove the ShieldZone and still find a stain? I installed ShieldZone on my white Intel MacBook and needed to send it in for service. I removed the ShieldZone per the company website and found that it had absorbed all the apparent oils from my skin . . . the MacBook wasn't stained, only the ShieldZone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NielsD View Post

As I understand it, he aplied the film just four days before this discolouration started showing. Which means he must have used it without the film for at least a week or two, as the discolourationg doenst show before a few weeks of use.

So this could still be skin oil related..

• Reply 17 of 36
    The longer I wait for the Leopard MacBook the more I find out about it, even just from the Appleinsider web site.

I'm thinking maybe shelling out the extra couple hundred $$ for the black one won't be such a bad Idea.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFlynn View Post

dual 2 ghz white macbook

60 gig

super drive

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

This is a documented issue, I had my white MacBook CoreDuo (not Core2Duo) changed the upper case. At least 10 MacBooks I have seen at Apple Stores for 1 month to 1 year, no further discoloration issues. Remember some of these are 7-day-a-week constantly used by all sort of grubby passers-by and shop browsers.

You can demand an instant replacement (MacBook may be considered Dead-On-Arrival) or otherwise they can change the upper case. Be firm but patient... Take it into your preferred local Apple Store or Apple Reseller.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by watermelon27 View Post

I trying sell my laptop also. I was woondering if want to take a look at my post in the General Disscusion. It aay Apple Powerbook free printer and Zip Drive. Is this the best place for this posting? I hope you don't me asking.

I think General Discussion is fine if you are polite and not too pushy.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i have a 6 month old macbook. looks brand new. i have a

1 yr old white imac that is perfect also.