Apple confirms "Special Event" on September 5th

Comments

• Reply 81 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow

This could be early morning blurry vision, but you can kind of make out "THE BEATLES" from the album cover titles.

Cover 1: THE

Cover 2: [space]

Cover 3: BEA

Cover 4: T (guys arms spread like a t)

Cover 5: L (lines come together in an L-like shape)

Cover 6: E (f you squint at the tree, you can force a capitol E out)

Cover 7: S (look at just the black, and ignore the H)

Scary, I see it too.
  • Reply 82 of 134
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Well, I think based on the invitation and the rumors, an iPod with CoverFlow seems most likely.

At this point who cares if any of this stuff runs OS X. It's really meaningless (to anyone except the bean counters) since Apple isn't supporting 3rd party development on any of it.

It means a great deal. The present is not the future.
  • Reply 83 of 134
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

This could be early morning blurry vision, but you can kind of make out "THE BEATLES" from the album cover titles.

I buried Paul.
  • Reply 84 of 134
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I hate to say it, but I see it.

Except the 'S' at the end.

Yeah. Still kinda cool attempt, though...
  • Reply 85 of 134
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

...sure, because EVERYTHING on wikipedia is true and accurate...

Don't hate the Wiki...

It is fantastically useful for the mundane stuff. Like pop lyrics from 40 years ago. Or rubber band nomenclature. and other whatnot. Anyone who goes to wikipedia for current political, economic or social issues where people have a stake in shading (or distorting) the truth, well buyer beware. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water...
  • Reply 86 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

i see it too, except for the S

anyway.

beatles catalog on itunes.

beatles yellow submarine ipod.

new video nanos (name change? ipod pequeño, ipod invisa?)

new widescreen, touchscreen, multitouch, coverflow ipods. no wifi.

that's my purported fantasy wishlist.
  • Reply 87 of 134
    OMG!!! forget the OSX iPod, apples gonna announces the beatles on the itunes store. DUH!!!! they wouldnt quote them liek crazy if they werent gonna follow up with something. But the OSX iPods will be sweet. damnit another week!!!!!!!
  • Reply 88 of 134
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

i see it too, except for the S

OMG, if you look at the first album and read it down back and forth, it says...

Keanu Thor Is A... BEA T L E

OMG! Keanu is going to play Thor on the big screen and sing Beatles songs!!!
  • Reply 89 of 134
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's interesting. So it could be a iTunes/iPod event. Or just an iTunes event, though I think those usually go well with some hardware update of some type. I doubt it would only be an iTunes event, that would be lame, even if it's touched off by the most popular and enduring boy band ever to grace the earth.

While the iPod is the main attraction there are other products and services that are related which could get mentioned and they are:
    • iPod Hi-Fi - I can see this getting wireless capabilities so we can stream music to it without needing an AirPort Express.

• iTunes - It could get an upgrade to handle new functionality that could be major enough to bump it to 8.0.

• iTunes Store - Movie/TV show sales to non-US stores and movie rentals (not likely)

• Apple TV - Updates to support iPod/iTunes/iTunes Store improvements.

• iPhone - functionality could be added to match what the iPod gets.

• AirPort Express - This could get updated with 802.11n and support for the iPod AV Connection Kit.

• Reply 90 of 134
    kevdokevdo Posts: 9member
    I really hope the stubby iPod is an iPod Mini, not the nano. The formfactor for the current Nano is ideal for many uses. A larger screened nano would be welcome though...

As for the widescreen/touch iPod, I really hope it has hard buttons for both play/pause as well as reverse and forward (hard buttons for volume too). I have an iPhone but I can't use it in the car because I can't "pilot" it blind to fast forward through podcasts or to skip to the next/previous track. For a music-centric device it is crucial to have hard buttons for these.

Neil Pomerleau did a great mockup for 9to5mac.com that shows these. Way too intuitive for Apple not to do it this way.

http://www.mabuhaynet.com/images/newipod.jpg
  • Reply 91 of 134
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Subscription/rental service would be even better but I'm in Australia... so I've given up on that. I want to give Apple money but they won't let me!

You can always pick up and move ...
  • Reply 92 of 134
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

...I promised my fiancée that a new iPod would be the only "big ticket" item I'd buy before our wedding (we're paying for it ourselves). My 40GB 4th gen (monochrome screen!) is chugging along without a problem, but it is starting to feel rather dated.

I feel your pain dude. My fiancée actually wants ME to BUY the new 6th generation iPod (namely, I fathom to get me to shut about it. I've never own an iPod-I do have a 1st generation nano; but I have 71+ GB's of music on my Macbook and 15+ GB of videos---so I need at least a 100GB iPod). We are also paying our way through the wedding.

Good luck, mate!

e.
  • Reply 93 of 134
    Granted, I just synced and caught the latest update on 8/29, but anyone else with an iPhone notice the next sync date is 9/5? Had to wonder if the next update check is supposed to coincide with the announcement...
  • Reply 94 of 134
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

I buried Paul.

Cranberry sauce...

Dave
  • Reply 95 of 134
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post

Granted, I just synced and caught the latest update on 8/29, but anyone else with an iPhone notice the next sync date is 9/5?

If your Mac is set to update once a week and the last update was Wed. 8/29, the next update would be a week later, Wed. 9/5. Simple coincidence.

Or is it?

• Reply 96 of 134
    I just talked to the lord and master of Apple via Space Command... Steve Jobs is stepping down... CONFIRMED!!!
  • Reply 97 of 134
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, now they have to step up their game, Sony introduces a video Walkman and puts the kibosh on their Connect Music Services. Never thought I'd live to see the day, especially since I'm old enough to remember the very first model, which had high quality metal parts and unbelievably good sound.
  • Reply 98 of 134
    gizmodo has a crazy new mockup of the iPod Touch

check it
  • Reply 99 of 134
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    wow. my fiancee got mad at me for buying an iPhone. she doesn't even know i bought new skis, too.

like she should complain, i just dropped HUGE cash on the ring. [we're paying for the wedding ourselves, too, but i'm putting 3x as much in savings as she is]

i bought her the original click wheel ipod when it came out. she doesn't understand why anyone would need more than a 20 gig [she uses about 6 gigs] monochrome iPod. i guess i should be happy she doesn't want something new.
  • Reply 100 of 134
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Maybe the stores being down now are getting ready for next weeks announcement