College Courses and AP Credit

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Send a donkey to college and you'll get a "smart ass". Are you back in school, Bob? Why aren't you doing your homework?

Yes, High school, and I'm not doing my homework because A.) My classes are really easy (I'm a junior), B.) I already finished (It was roughly 10:15 PM when I posted), and C.) This is so much more important.

Oh, and just for the record, Easy classes:

AP English Lang/Comp.

AP European History (the only one that actually makes me try)

Italian 3 AND 4

AP Chemistry

AP Calculus BC

AMPS (Advanced Math Problem Solving)

Cross Country (not really mentally stimulating, but takes up a good 2-2.5 hours when I could be working on the above)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Yes, High school, and I'm not doing my homework because A.) My classes are really easy (I'm a junior), B.) I already finished, and C.) This is so much more important.

It may be, but rubbing elbows with AI members may cause you to develop some terrible vice. Why don't your parents have a V-chip on your computer?
  • Reply 2 of 69
    Quote:

Yes, High school, and I'm not doing my homework because A.) My classes are really easy (I'm a junior), B.) I already finished (It was roughly 10:15 PM when I posted), and C.) This is so much more important.

AP English Lang/Comp.

Italian 3 AND 4

AP Chemistry

AP Calculus BC

Cross Country (not really mentally stimulating, but takes up a good 2-2.5 hours when I could be working on the above)

Good schedule. What's your major? Or what will it be when you go to University? Which university? What is Cross Country? Like skiing? Why Italian? Are you planning on living there? Great place to visit. BTW, Rosetta Stone (language program - not the emulation or whatever) is good for learning languages. I've used it for learning French and Spanish. It's comparatively expensive, but maybe you could find a cute coed who has a copy and study together.

Tomorrow's a school day. Go to bed. I guess you get that from your parents a lot.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

BTW, Rosetta Stone (language program - not the emulation or whatever) is good for learning languages. I've used it for learning French and Spanish..

I've heard mixed reviews of Rosetta Stone. It is pretty pricey...can you elaborate more?

Vinea
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I've heard mixed reviews of Rosetta Stone. It is pretty pricey...can you elaborate more?Vinea

It's been quite awhile since I used it. What I liked about it is it's like the Berlitz method of total immersion. You don't translate into English; you learn what the words mean. You see a book, but you don't think book. You think 'libra' or whatever it is in that language.

The program shows you pictures and tells you aloud in French ( or in Spanish or ...) how to say it. You repeat what you hear. You can do this over and over listening to the speaker and repeating until you think you have it. Of course, it starts out crawling, but as you progress, it gets you up on your feet running.

In college Spanish (and English Poetry) , I had to repeat some phrases over and over. Today, many years later, I can toss those sentences off without thinking about them. The repetition evidently embeds it in your brain. Furthermore, the repetition by the speaker becomes easier and easier to "hear" and understand. Eventually, your ear hears the words which then register.

If you're listening to a foreigner speaking in his language, it is difficult to hear individual words and you're so busy translating that you fall behind. In Rosetta Stone, you stop translating and start understanding the meaning of the words.

It's difficult to explain the concept in just a few paragraphs. Try Googling. You'll probably find a better explanation than mine.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

It may be, but rubbing elbows with AI members may cause you to develop some terrible vice. Why don't your parents have a V-chip on your computer?

I don't think my parents even know what a v-chip is. Also, I bought this computer with my own money. And I would have to tell them how to do everything with the v-chip, which would very easily allow me access to it and make it relatively useless.

Quote:

Good schedule. What's your major? Or what will it be when you go to University? Which university? What is Cross Country? Like skiing? Why Italian? Are you planning on living there? Great place to visit. BTW, Rosetta Stone (language program - not the emulation or whatever) is good for learning languages. I've used it for learning French and Spanish. It's comparatively expensive, but maybe you could find a cute coed who has a copy and study together.

Tomorrow's a school day. Go to bed. I guess you get that from your parents a lot.

Aerospace Engineering... not for sure, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

ISU, possibly a nice school like MIT or caltech depending on what kind of scholarships I would get

Cross country is running... 5K race (3.1 miles) Although I do enjoy cross-country skiing... I'm actually surprised that you didn't know what this is.

Italian- because I wanted to be different, and my school offers Italian, German, Japanese, and Chinese (It's a magnet school and they figure the home school would offer French and Spanish, but my home school is inhabited by complete morons...) Also, it is a really beautiful language.

My school has a lab FULL of G4s running Rosetta Stone. Although there are some cute coeds in my Italian class of around 30...

And besides, 11 is a perfectly respectable bed time when I don't have to get up till 7.

But enough detracting from the thread at hand (although any thread with over around 30 posts starts to go completely off topic soon enough).
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Quote:

Cross country is running... 5K race (3.1 miles) Although I do enjoy cross-country skiing... I'm actually surprised that you didn't know what this is.

).

I do know what cross country skiing is. My daughter does it. You just mentioned 'cross country'. I was unaware that it was a high school subject, and I wasn't sure you meant skiing. You must live in snow country. Brrrrr. I left snow country at 15 and never looked back.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:

I do know what cross country skiing is. My daughter does it. You just mentioned 'cross country'. I was unaware that it was a high school subject, and I wasn't sure you meant skiing. You must live in snow country. Brrrrr. I left snow country at 15 and never looked back.

Running Running Running!

Not

Skiing Skiing Skiing!

I'm a cat and even I know that.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Running Running Running!

Not

Skiing Skiing Skiing!

I'm a cat and even I know that.

Another catty remark, Duddits. Well, mea culpa. I've been wrong before.

I still didn't know that 'Cross Country" was a school subject. Back in the olden days - the days of yore - track wasn't considered a "subject". Yes, we did have track but not cross country or at least I don't recall that.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:

AP English Lang/Comp.

Italian 3 AND 4

AP Chemistry

AP Calculus BC

Comment about site moderation deleted - JL

Anyway, back OT:

iMacs iMacs everywhere,

the glossy surface makes me stare.

All those colors rich and true

despite those who claim it looks like poo.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:

Another catty remark, Duddits.

Occupational hazard. Actually, species-related hazard.

Quote:

I still didn't know that 'Cross Country" was a school subject.

I don't think he meant "subject" literally as much as he was simply supplying a list of frivolous school activites that keep him away from the far more serious task of gabbing about Apple in this forum.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:

Another catty remark, Duddits. Well, mea culpa. I've been wrong before.

I still didn't know that 'Cross Country" was a school subject. Back in the olden days - the days of yore - track wasn't considered a "subject". Yes, we did have track but not cross country or at least I don't recall that.

Fine, it's not a subject, but it is part of my schedule, which was the general meaning of the list, if not explicitly defined. Being a professor, I would have assumed that you would be able to get away from the exact definitions/meaning of things and think.

Sorry, the above post wasn't there when I started to type this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by duddits

I don't think he meant "subject" literally as much as he was simply supplying a list of frivolous school activites that keep him away from the far more serious task of gabbing about Apple in this forum.

Exactly.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Anyway, back OT:

iMacs iMacs everywhere,

the glossy surface makes me stare.

All those colors rich and true

despite those who claim it looks like poo.

That's very funny. My daughter is also taking AP courses in HS.

It means Advanced Placement. These are supposed to be college level courses. The problem is that while many schools offer them, the quality of the courses varies. Some are very hard, and some are no more than regular course difficulty with the AP tacked on top. Universities know which schools offer the "real deal" and which don't.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's very funny. My daughter is also taking AP courses in HS.

It means Advanced Placement. These are supposed to be college level courses. The problem is that while many schools offer them, the quality of the courses varies. Some are very hard, and some are no more than regular course difficulty with the AP tacked on top. Universities know which schools offer the "real deal" and which don't.

The universities don't have to divine which school is providing a good course and which isn't. How they are separated is with the standardized, third party test put out by the AP organization, the College Board. Just taking the course doesn't mean anything for college credit, you have to take the test and pass with a certain score. I think the common minimum for being equivalent to a college course is a 3 out of 5, a higher score might be worth more credits or something. Policies can vary.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The universities don't have to divine which school is providing a good course and which isn't. How they are separated is with the standardized, third party test put out by the AP organization, the College Board. Just taking the course doesn't mean anything for college credit, you have to take the test and pass with a certain score. I think the common minimum for being equivalent to a college course is a 3 out of 5, a higher score might be worth more credits or something. Policies can vary.

It doesn't really work that way. In speaking to college reps who come to our HS, they tell me that each school is evaluated on its own.

The AP tests they take are only part of the story, just like the Regents is here in New York State.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    Bob, you're right. I should have thought about what you meant. However, it's been a long time since I was in high school. I'm a retired US Treasury Special Agent (Criminal Investigator) working on Organized Crime cases.

Teaching is a second career for me. Unfortunately for me, I don't get students like you. I see students who don't want to be in school, don't try, expect the college to give them a grade and that's all they want. Sometimes, I get really depressed thinking the students I teach are the future of this country.

Knowing there are real students like you makes me feel that this country does have a future. Keep up the good work.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

My daughter is also taking AP courses in HS.

You didn't really think I thought AP stood for "Achieving Poorly??!!"

I figured since Bob's sig line was "Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time" it was high time I contributed to the effort.

Oh well.

I guess I should have used a winky emoticon but I can't quite figure out how to make emoticons appear in my text.

In any case, please accept my apologies anyone who didn't realize I was making a joke. Feel free to blame the misunderstanding on all those AP classes I took in highschool that irreparably impaired my sense of humor.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    Quote:

You didn't really think I thought AP stood for "Achieving Poorly??!!"

I figured since Bob's sig line was "Serving humanity one sarcastic comment at a time" it was high time I contributed to the effort.

Oh well.

I guess I should have used a winky emoticon but I can't quite figure out how to make emoticons appear in my text.

In any case, please accept my apologies anyone who didn't realize I was making a joke. Feel free to blame the misunderstanding on all those AP classes I took in highschool that irreparably impaired my sense of humor.

Melgross did say, "Very funny." I'm sure he knew you were 'twisting' the phrase; AP. I'm guessing that in spelling it out, he wanted to make sure the rest of us knew what it meant - especially since his daughter was taking AP classes. My daughters took similar classes, but I don't recall if they were called AP or not. That too was a long time ago. My daughters are in their early forties. One is a software engineer and the other is a paralegal. The AP courses give students a boost up.

Thank heavens for students like Bob and Melgross's daughter. This country needs them - badly.

As for sarcasm and bantering between intelligent people, I think it's a way to show 'affection' without being syrupy. That is, as long as it's kept light. There are times when AI members seem to want blood.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    Well, don't worry, my school has the best AP program in Iowa, has the most Merit-Scholar finalists, and the average AP score for most of the classes is above 4. (National average is around 3 or even less). Also, it is one of the top 100 schools in the nation. Now, you could probably figure this out on your own, but if your like me, you try to be as lazy as possible while still over-achieving (I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but it's not), so I will just tell you that it is Central Academy in Des Moines. Excellent program. Lots of very bright students. Lots of Asians.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It doesn't really work that way. In speaking to college reps who come to our HS, they tell me that each school is evaluated on its own.

The AP tests they take are only part of the story, just like the Regents is here in New York State.

That seems like unnecessary work to me when they have other pieces of information that's relatively independent.

But maybe how you describe it is done to evaluate for admissions, how I describe it is how the school determines what the school will let you opt out of.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:

if your like me, you try to be as lazy as possible while still over-achieving (I know it sounds like an oxymoron, but it's not),

Well you know Einstein was sleeping around 10-12 hours a night when he put together the Theory of Special Relativity, arguably the most pivotal revelation in the history of your species if not mine (or at least in the top 3). Not to mention that he failed out of math class in high school and it wasn't even AP. The world is full of lazy over-achievers.