Apple Activity

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, im not sure if most of you guys realise, but it seems, since Apple uses Intel processor, they have been frequently updating their products, this could be a good thing or a bad thing for some people, some people buy a mac because they know it will last for a couple of years, but now, not so cause intel is producing new processors/speed like a ant queen giving birth and with the price not dropping and the frequent hardware updates which is not helping. So what do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I think...

a) run-on sentences suck.

b) Apple isn't really updating all that fast, we're just used to insanely slow and mediocre upgrades from the IBM/Moto days.

c) you're statement that Macs no longer last years now is woefully misguided as I currently run 10.4.10 on my 6 year old TiBook G4. Additionally, I see no evidence to suggest current Macs will have any trouble performing many years down the road.

d) -> all of the above <-
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Hey, im not sure if most of you guys realise, but it seems, since Apple uses Intel processor, they have been frequently updating their products, this could be a good thing or a bad thing for some people, some people buy a mac because they know it will last for a couple of years, but now, not so cause intel is producing new processors/speed like a ant queen giving birth and with the price not dropping and the frequent hardware updates which is not helping. So what do you guys think?

e) ants don't give birth, they lay eggs.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Intel will always aim to introduce new chipsets and/or architectures on a regular basis as their production roadmaps are set out to the plans of co-founder Gordon Moore, who's vision of the future is now referred to as "Moore's Law", which states that the number of transistors on a chip doubles every two years, and Intel have kept their track-record very well so far. So expect to see big changes in CPU's every two years, and minor changes such as FSB speeds etc change probably every 6 months!

For more technocle babble on Moore's Law visit...

http://www.intel.com/technology/mooreslaw/
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Since Apple uses Intel processor, they have been frequently updating their products, this could be a good thing or a bad thing for some people, some people buy a mac because they know it will last for a couple of years, but now, not so cause intel is producing new processors/speed like a ant queen giving birth and with the price not dropping and the frequent hardware updates which is not helping. So what do you guys think?

First look at the iMac the last update was August 7th, 2007 with the previous update of September 6th, 2006. So 11 months is not a frequent update.

Second look at the MacBook the last update was May 15th, 2007 with the previous update of November 8th, 2006. Now that was only a six mounth update, while they went with a Santa Rosa refresh platform the still use intel old GMA950 and not the new GMA X3100 chipset. So they still did not use the best tech available.

Apple still works on there own schedule, so in the past we use to blame Moto/IBM, so now we know Apple will do and use what they want.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Laying eggs isn't giving birth?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Laying eggs isn't giving birth? There's certainly a live ant in the egg if it's been fecundated.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I have not seen Apple update anything more frequently as I would have hoped. I would prefer more frequent updates.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    I poop too much.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Hey yeah, wasn't it better when there weren't any updates for ages and we couldn't buy better and faster computers?!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:

you know if you're quick, you should try and sue apple. all the cool kids are doing it and I think your case is almost as good as some of the other ones.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

No, it is not. Reproduction cannot happen until the sperm fertilizes the ovum (egg). Some animals lay eggs that must be fertilized in the nest. Fish eggs are of this type.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Stop!

You guys are killing me!

No, really!

• Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Battery hens lay eggs all the time, do you get hens from them? no, they need to be fertilised, also the term "giving birth" usually implies "live young" not an egg or eggs.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

Stop!

You guys are killing me!

No, really!

Who's got egg on their face!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

GMA950 and not the new GMA X3100

Okay, talking bout intel graphic card, any improvements?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

also the term "giving birth" usually implies "live young" not an egg or eggs.

Agree.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Confirmed!
  • Reply 18 of 18
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Battery hens lay eggs all the time, do you get hens from them? no, they need to be fertilised, also the term "giving birth" usually implies "live young" not an egg or eggs.

Hang on, hang on. Walter, what are you saying? When do you think the egg gets fertilized?

Oh - OK - battery hens, fair enough, sorry!