That hole on Mars?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Seen the Hirise images coming back from Mars of the hole?

Quote:

Black spots have been discovered on Mars that are so dark that nothing inside can be seen. Quite possibly, the spots are entrances to deep underground caves capable of protecting Martian life, were it to exist. The unusual hole pictured above was found on the slopes of the giant Martian volcano Arsia Mons. The above image was captured three weeks ago by the HiRISE instrument onboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter currently circling Mars.

Well some new images are coming in. Here's the latest, that's a wall...

Quote:

The new image confirms that the dark pit really is a vertical shaft that cuts through lava flow on the flank of the volcano. Such pits form on similar volcanoes in Hawaii and are called "pit craters."

On the drawing table scientists have created an unmanned craft that will land and deploy mini bouncing robots to hop around the terrain and maybe into one of these holes...

Astounding to see more oddities and discoveries from the Red Planet. I guess speleologists must be thrilled by the proof there are extra-terrestrial caves to explore someday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    First Uranus and now Mars(e)hole, the universe is very anally oriented.

I love it how no matter what appears in space, there's always a suggestion of alien involvement. Whenever there's a slightly different rock formation maybe aliens did it. Now we get a hole.

Maybe if there were tracks, it could be giant worms like in the movie Tremors but it could just be a hole.

I love the quote though "Black spots have been discovered on Mars that are so dark that nothing inside can be seen." - hmm, like no other hole we've ever encountered before. It almost makes me want to give NASA more funding.

I actually wish they'd discover some alien life just so we don't have to keep hearing about the possibility of finding it under every rock NASA decides to turn. Of course that'll probably make it worse as they'll have evidence to justify turning every other rock to find a more advanced species.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I've never seen the hole in Uranus.

However, the alien connection, we do seem to be desperate to make contact. Probably for good reason - if we had something to focus all of the worlds eyes on something more interesting, then maybe, just maybe we could stop squabbling over all the things we do, and realise our place in the universe.

Astronomy is great because the people who study it as a whole realise better than anyone, who we are and where were going as a species.

We dont want wars, fighting and conflict, politicians, nationalistic fascism, reality TV, Paris Hilton and all the shit, we just want to be left alone to discover.

Just like we all used to do when we were first let off to play without parental supervision when we were children. Everything is interesting and fascinating, and you dont care about anything else but being amazed and intregued by the world outside the backyard.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I love it how no matter what appears in space, there's always a suggestion of alien involvement. Whenever there's a slightly different rock formation maybe aliens did it. Now we get a hole.

Don't you know? That's the tunnel that leads to the temple where the Predators keep their Aliens!

Either that, or an exhaust vent for the reactor.

Interesting that it appears nearly perfectly circular, don't see that much in nature. Perhaps due to the (obviously) much lower erosion rate on Mars?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Seen the Hirise images coming back from Mars of the hole?

Well some new images are coming in. Here's the latest, that's a wall...

On the drawing table scientists have created an unmanned craft that will land and deploy mini bouncing robots to hop around the terrain and maybe into one of these holes...

Astounding to see more oddities and discoveries from the Red Planet. I guess speleologists must be thrilled by the proof there are extra-terrestrial caves to explore someday.

Exciting stuff for non-Martians, too. Hoping we'll get the chance in our lifetimes to actually go there.