Apple's next-gen iPod nano takes its lumps as current models run dry

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Well, one proportion that is generally agreed upon for aesthetics is the Golden Ratio (approx. 1.6:1). This is why all wide-screen flat-panels have a width to height ratio of 1.6 to 1.

That may be a coincidence. The explanation I've read before said that it was chosen that way because that's close to the aspect ratio of to sheets of paper, in portrait arrangement, side-by-side. But that's the US standard. Metric paper is in ratios of sqrt(2):1, which is about 14:10.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    I like the idea of an iPod mini video, iPod nano, and an iPod Touch.

The nano is a fantastic design and should be continued. If the mini is the "fatso", then so be it.
  • Reply 63 of 103
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

How many times do I need to say this - IT IS NOT THE NEW iPod nano!!

It is the new iPod Video - flash based, smaller size, new interface, 8GB and 16GB.

The picture that was removed due to Apple Legal's threats had iPod nano as part of the file name.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It is the new iPod Video - flash based, smaller size, new interface, 8GB and 16GB.

The nano will still exist!!

That is the most absurd thing I've ever read on this board. You really think Apple will release a Video iPod with capabilities that have signifigantly less capacity than current iPods with video and have a smaller display size. That makes absolutely no sense. With the cost of NAND vs HDDs this device would cost as much (if not more) than the current iPod with video but offer a great deal less.

Assuming the pics are accurate (which, by the way, are growing on me) this is mearly an iPod nano with improved capacity, RAM and CPU to handle larger library faster, and a larger display for picutres. It may even have rudimentary video capabilities, but it won't be its main focus and certainly won't be an iPod Video mini.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Well, I just bought a Nano 8 GB Red to replace the 1Gen Nano 4 GB that I'm giving to my wife to use with her new Honda Fit (she has a 1Gen shuffle). All the stories about dwindling supplies made me jump now.

It does what I want my iPod to do and I like that way it looks (though I would have preferred it in green).

No Fatso for me.

Bad move imo. I think they'll keep the form factor and push the 8gb into the 4gb's place, giving you your green colour option on an 8gb nano.

Hope you can still retur it by next wed.
  • Reply 66 of 103
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    What if this is a picture meant to be part of Steve J's presentation?

- Ok, we wanted to fit in a big screen on the nano. This is what it would look like. (shows the picture)

(crowd laughs)

- I know, it doesn't really work. So we thought, why not get rid of the wheel? We have this wonderful touch screen technology from the iPhone. (shows the same image, but with just the screen, and no wheel.)

(crowd goes wild)

No seriously, if you line them up next to each other, it doesn't look that bad. It's just a very unusual formfactor.. A little like the iMac. A lot of wasted surface it seemed at first, but now I think the iMac looks good.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is the most absurd thing I've ever read on this board. You really think Apple will release a Video iPod with capabilities that have signifigantly less capacity than current iPods with video and have a smaller display size. That makes absolutely no sense. With the cost of NAND vs HDDs this device would cost as much (if not more) than the current iPod with video but offer a great deal less.

Assuming the pics are accurate (which, by the way, are growing on me) this is mearly an iPod nano with improved capacity, RAM and CPU to handle larger library faster, and a larger display for picutres. It may even have rudimentary video capabilities, but it won't be its main focus and certainly won't be an iPod Video mini.

It's not absurd if Apple also release an iPod that is better than the current iPod video AT THE SAME TIME!!! The iPod video will be split into two distinct models :-

1. Flash based, slightly smaller screen, much smaller case, new colours, new interface, 4Gb - 8GB - 16GB this is the model that we have been discussing. There are many people who do not need the 30Gb and 80Gb iPods, BUT would like to watch video now and then (like people can on the iPhone).

2. HD based, same size as the current iPod video, but with the look and touch screen of the iPhone, capacities of 40GB and 120GB, new interface.

Those two models will have a much wider appeal than the single iPod video model that we have now.

Just as the 8GB iPod cost $249 and the 30GB iPod Video costs $249, the same will be the case with these new iPods. The largest capacity iPod Video (the new model show in the photos) will cost the same as the new iPod Touch. This gives people the choice between size, capacity, etc.

The iPod being discussed is NOT the new iPod nano. Apple are not going to increase the size of the iPod nano, it is a new model.

We will still have a music only iPod nano model.

As stated by others here is the new iPod range :-

- iPod Shuffle 1GB (same colours plus new PRODUCT RED model) - $59

- iPod Shuffle 2GB (Black and PRODUCT RED colours only) - $79

- iPod nano 4GB (Same size, Same range of colours as now, new interface, longer battery) - $149

- iPod nano 8GB (Same size, Same range of colours as now, new interface, longer battery) - $199

- iPod nano 16GB (Same size, Black only, new interface, longer battery) - $249

- iPod Video 8GB (as shown in the leaked photo, 4 colours, NOT Black, new interface) - $249

- iPod Video 16GB (as shown in the leaked photo, Black only, new interface) - $349

PRODUCT RED version will follow in both models next year after initial demand has fallen.

- iPod Touch 40GB (same design as iPhone, new OSX based interface, Wi-Fi) - $349

- iPod Touch 120GB (same design as iPhone, new OSX based interface, Wi-Fi) - $449

- iPhone 4GB - $499

- iPhone 8GB - $599

All these models will not be announced or released on Tuesday, but will be out and available soon.

Ian
  • Reply 68 of 103
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    [
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"iPod nano 'phatty'"

"Danny DeVito of iPods."

the "iPod bilbo" -- a not especially subtle jab at its Hobbit-like appearance.

"iPod phatty"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

How bout 'iPod Chubby'?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

iPod minis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

"supersized" nano That is one ugly nano...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Put a stick underneath it and call it the iPod Dove bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

fatboy

Quote:

fatboy

and I saw these somewhere else:

the iPhat

stubbyPod

iStub

iVie's folly

Whatever, put one in my Christmas stocking and I'll keep it.......
  • Reply 69 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Well, one proportion that is generally agreed upon for aesthetics is the Golden Ratio (approx. 1.6:1). This is why all wide-screen flat-panels have a width to height ratio of 1.6 to 1.

Now, even though this "leaked" iPod is closer to the Golden Ratio, I think that the screen and click-wheel don't balance properly. This ruins the good aesthetics for me. I think I'm rather neutral on the design. The squat design reminds me a little too much of the Zen Micro.

Yeah, nope. While I don't know the exact reason, I'm not even vaguely prepared to believe it has anything to to with the golden ratio. Not to mention 35 mm film stock varying quite widely in its recorded aspect, I'm sure it was a manufacturing/engineering cost decision.

That, and aren't most actually closer to 16:9?

Things like the Golden Rule and Rule of thirds have their (limited) time and place, but folks get a bit carried away with it all too often.
  • Reply 70 of 103
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Introducing the iPod Oink !

Ever been in the situation of being socially obliged to buy a gift for someone you dislike?

Well now we have a neat solution to that little dilemma - the Oink. Giving that certain someone an Oink will convey just the sort of message you can't say to their face.

You won't look cheap, after all it 'is' an Apple, but that certain someone wont be able shake the feeling that there is something not quite right. The 'lucky' recipient of your generosity will have to smile at you warmly and thank you profusely, but inside you will know they get that special message.

Every time they use it they will be reminded of you - just the way you want them to.

Apple - filling every niche.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How many people do you know who watch movies on their iPod? In my case no-one. Everyone uses them strictly for music except one guy who plays the games. A bigger screen is u s e l e s s.

My iPod is used 95% of the time for video and photos, and I do a lot of work with a lot of video and tons of photos. I also use the iPod to download photos from my camera while I'm on the road and to make simple audio recordings.

The bigger the screen, the better.

If I could only type on it...
  • Reply 72 of 103
    i can personally atest to the introduction of a new ipod nano into apple's lineup. i went to bestbuy the other to return something in order to get money off on an ipod nano i was hoping to buy. i was informed that there were no more and to come back on friday when they would probably recieve another shipment. i came back and they said they werent going to get anymore. i asked them why and the bestbuy employee told me that head quaters told them they were going to get at least one more shipment in before the more than likely release of new ipod nano's in the next four-to-six weeks. but it appears that now they arent going to get anymore shipments of the current model ipod nano's at all. coincidence? you decide
  • Reply 73 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwaffles1791 View Post

i can personally atest to the introduction of a new ipod nano into apple's lineup. i went to bestbuy the other [day and] i was informed [by a best buy employee]...

Not exactly a solid argument. I think the Sept 5th keynote at Mosocone and the time of year for iPod refreshes makes for a much better argument.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Er, I don't think we're getting it. I think Apple knows when something looks good or bad. In fact, I don't think the squatted design is going to be the design of the next video iPod.

What I think it's going to be is the next iPod nano. Basically you take the current iPod nanos and you move the click wheel up closer to the screen and then you "chop it off" close to the bottom of the click wheel. So in fact it's NOT fatter or thicker, just shorter.

The reason the rumored pictures have been causing so much trouble is because there is not reference for proportion in those pictures, and if they had been taken with a familiar object like a quarter in the frame we would know if the new nanos are wider or just shorter like I described.

Final words: Trust Apple!

• Reply 75 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm also of the opinion that this is simply too ugly to be true. I honestly think the Zune looks better.

• Reply 76 of 103
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If the U-Suit cases are for the new 6G iPod (not a nano replacement, not the iPod touch), the iPod that goes into them would look like this:

Case image from iLounge: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ced-ipod/11325
  • Reply 77 of 103
    we havent seen this "stubby" iPod in a hand, or mounted on an arm, or next to a familiar item. How can so many people be so judgemental? I will be curious to see the video quality. I also see these mockups showing an iPod that will need to be flipped on its side in order to watch (not auto perspective like the iPhone). Those designs will not work for one reason... The games. People with nanos have been wanting to play the available games, and now they can.

Might i remind some of you how "dumb" you thought apple was for not using a stylus or a physical keyboard.

If some of you were in charge of designing things for apple, im convinced that products would come out with spoilers and a HEMI.

We'll see how it really looks on Wednesday.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    This little iPod would fit in the palm of the hand. Just measure the dimensions in your hand: 2.4" W x 3" H x .3" thick.
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Quote:

The nano will still exist!!

I agree, no way would Apple produce such a squat, ungainly, ugly and clumsy looking device.

Unless ofcourse they have, in which case it is brilliant!

...time we moved on from the old look which is becoming extremely dated and toy like. You need to see the new iPod in real life to really appreciate how sexy it is. It matches the new iMac perfectly!

Apple will sell a gadzillion, I personally will be buying a truckload and giving them away to all my clients.
  • Reply 80 of 103
    Let me get this straight- a photo of the new keyboard for the iMac leaks but apple doesn't do too much about it, but this back hills version of the iPod surfaces and Apple sends out the legal dogs? Smells of disinformation to me.