AirPort Extreme router question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am buying a new Macbook tomorrow and wanted to get an AirPort Extreme, gigabit ethernet version, to go with and I was wondering if it functions as a wired gigabit router in addition to providing wireless connectivity.

Specifically, does anyone know if I can plug my Mac Pro into it and exchange files with the new Macbook via wired gigabit ethernet router. There are three gigabit ethenet ports on it but I couldn't make out if it provides wired router capabilities as well.

Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

I am buying a new Macbook tomorrow and wanted to get an AirPort Extreme, gigabit ethernet version, to go with and I was wondering if it functions as a wired gigabit router in addition to providing wireless connectivity.

Specifically, does anyone know if I can plug my Mac Pro into it and exchange files with the new Macbook via wired gigabit ethernet router. There are three gigabit ethenet ports on it but I couldn't make out if it provides wired router capabilities as well.

Thanks for all help.

Any computers (even PCs) on the same home network (i.e. going through the same hub/router such as the Airport Extreme) can exchange files, share printers, and all that good stuff. For instance, my PC downstairs is connected via Ethernet to the Airport Extreme can share files to my iMac and Mac Pro which are connected to the Airport Extreme via wireless, and even print to the printers connected to each computer. And that's with a PC! If it works Mac to PC and PC to Mac, It is sure to work Mac to Mac.

:-)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    So far things are going ok, but I can't get the airport extreme to work as a wireless network, always says it has encountered a problem and to close the application and try again. I guess I will shut it off and see if that makes any difference. But right now I'm surfing on my new macbook and trying to get used to the keyboard.

Ah, changes.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    interesting, after staring and restarting, and nothing happening, it suddenly started working.

god, I love macs. If it doesn't work, just wait and it works itself out
  • Reply 4 of 6
    glad everything worked for you. update us if you have any questions or problems.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ripplet View Post

glad everything worked for you. update us if you have any questions or problems.

I ended up having to take the Airport Extreme back for an exchange. Turns out it didn't want to be managed. But the folks at the store were great and very helpful.

Everything works as t is supposed to. Can't believe it took me so long to enjoy the wonders of wireless.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Great news. But glad your love for Macs have not gone. Every factory produces faulty products ONCE IN A WHILE. so it had to be you. haha.

Have fun with it!