Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Michigan trailing Appalachian State.

...at home.

And Michigan just lost!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    ...And losing 34-32 at home.

Easily the biggest upset loss this year--maybe within the last 3-4 years!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    That's pretty sweet. I always enjoy it when the cream-puff brought in as essentially a pre-season game winds up winning.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    And then the usual result of facing a cream-puff first opponent:

Penn State just beat 59-0 a team that hadn't won a game since 2005.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Michigan losing today was by far one of the biggest upsets in college football history.

Penn State...

Wait til we play Idaho tonight...then you'll understand the true definition of a cream-puff.

I will admit, the Big Ten network is pretty friggin' sweet. So not fair...
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Penn State...

I don't know...

I'm predicting anywhere from 12-0 to 10-2.

Quote:

I will admit, the Big Ten network is pretty friggin' sweet. So not fair...

I hate the Big Ten network with a passion.

(Mainly because Comcast is still holding out... so that means very few games I get to see now instead of all of them like in the past.)
  • Reply 6 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, I am as big a Penn State whore as I am an Eagles whore, so yeah. Penn State all the way!

Also, I despise Michigan like any good PSU fan would. That's their payback for stealing the game away from PSU a few years ago.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    What pisses me off is when teams run up the score.

Oklahoma: 79-10

Louisville: 73-10

So when analysts talk about how proficient a team's offense is-- they use average stats like yards or points per game and it unfairly skews the perception of that team (and thus ranks them higher). Joe Paterno would have never let his kids score 59 unanswered points if he wasn't concerned about other teams running up the scores on their cream-puff opponents. But still, he took his starting quarterback and others out when the score could have been much higher with them in the game.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

So when analysts talk about how proficient a team's offense is-- they use average stats like yards or points per game and it unfairly skews the perception of that team (and thus ranks them higher). Joe Paterno would have never let his kids score 59 unanswered points if he wasn't concerned about other teams running up the scores on their cream-puff opponents. But still, he took his starting quarterback and others out when the score could have been much higher with them in the game.

This isn't as big of a problem as you think. The BCS ranking system takes in account the opponents you play, not how much you beat them by. The "quality win" is much more weighted. Plus, the ranking system took out the "margin of victory" in 2002.

I'm pretty sure Penn State has kicked the shit out of some schools long before the BCS came in to place...
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:

This isn't as big of a problem as you think. The BCS ranking system takes in account the opponents you play. The "quality of win" is much more weighted. Plus, the ranking system took out the "margin of victory".

Oh good.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

though i understand your initial reaction, sometimes you just can't help it. let's take oklahoma for a second. they played a north texas team that ran a no-huddle pass-happy spread offense that was very ineffective moving the ball or taking time off the clock against ou's defense and gave oklahoma many more opportunities to score. it was 49 to nothing at the half. the starting qb for ou only played one series in the 3rd and both the 2nd and 3rd team qb's got into the game while only 5 more passes were attempted. you can't go out there and expect your kids, especially 2nd and 3rd teamers, to hold back and not perform to the best of their ability. not only will that get kids hurt, but does absolutely nothing to prepare them for the future.

so i ask you, after knowing that , how would you handle it differently, coach?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running with scissors View Post

though i understand your initial reaction, sometimes you just can't help it. let's take oklahoma for a second. they played a north texas team that ran a no-huddle pass-happy spread offense that was very ineffective moving the ball or taking time off the clock against ou's defense and gave oklahoma many more opportunities to score. it was 49 to nothing at the half. the starting qb for ou only played one series in the 3rd and both the 2nd and 3rd team qb's got into the game while only 5 more passes were attempted. you can't go out there and expect your kids, especially 2nd and 3rd teamers, to hold back and not perform to the best of their ability. not only will that get kids hurt, but does absolutely nothing to prepare them for the future.

so i ask you, after knowing that , how would you handle it differently, coach?

Ah, I stand corrected.

Yeah, not much you can do if you take your starting QB out and you still waltz into the endzone.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Boy am I excited for this season. I've never been much into college ball but now that I'm in the marching band at IU I will be following them closely. 55 to 7 on Saturday against Indiana State. I'm praying for a bowl game this season. I want to go somewhere for free.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Oh, you got into IU!

Congrats!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Thanks! It's been great. I love college. It's mostly the reason I haven't been posting a lot lately.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

It's mostly the reason I haven't been posting a lot lately.

Just wait until something's due.

• Reply 16 of 42
    Wait until basketball season starts. Then your college career will officially begin...
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:

Wait until basketball season starts. Then your college career will officially begin...

I'm totally going to be in the pep band. I'll have amazing free seats for Hoosier basketball and I'll get to travel with the team when they go to tournaments.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    PSU-ND tomorrow night!

It's the most expensive ticket in college football.

$1100.

• Reply 19 of 42
    Are you kidding me?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Yeah you'd think supply would overrule demand when we're talking 110,000 people.

But that's 110,000 crazy fans, so there's no reasonable explanation really.