Upcoming iPods - Sep 2007 - Educated Guess

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Well 9to5mac who seem to be getting all the C&D requests from apples lawyers for posting seemingly real pictures say this about the 6G Ipod

"Outside rim is black, not silver like the iPhone and more flush with the screen like the 5.5G iPods not rounded like iPhone

No ear speaker or microphone for phoning

Thicker - slightly "

Saying that they had a picture but have learnt their lesson so will describe it instead.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
  • Reply 63 of 82
    I agree with the general sentiment that the 6th gen iPod should have a touchscreen. It's a logical progression. Consumers are associating the touchscreen interface with Apple products and would like to be able to do this at a more welcoming price point. The R&D on the hardware and software have already been established with the iPhone, so many of the hurdles have already been passed. More products with these features will drop the overall cost and increase Apple's margins as well.

Bluetooth chipsets are certainly low-power enough nowadays that Apple should include them for headphone pairing.

I'm on the fence with wifi on the iPod. Factors such as power restrictions, value to the consumer and iPhone feature competition need to be balanced just right. If it ends up playing a big role as a delivery mechanism for more content (something I'll get into in the next paragraph) then maybe it's a worthwhile endeavor.

Ideally, I would like to see touchscreen iPods in people's hands since it opens up more possibilities for developers. The iPhone is already causing some web developers to create sites and stylesheets that format content to the screen dimensions. I have a feeling that once Apple gets enough consumers to buy iPods with the new interface, they'll open up the platform a bit and start pushing devs to develop widgets for the iPod and iPhone. With efforts such as netvibes UWA going on, it's just a matter of time before we start to see all sorts of cool software.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Plus, Apple says the iPhone is the best iPod ever made, so how they will come up with a new iPod that doesn't surpass the iPhone? That's why I bet the new iPod will be superior as media player than the iPhone is.

That claim can only speak for iPods made until the release of the iPhone. I am expecting the 6G iPod to have a touch screen, hard drive with larger capacities, and a different start screen than the iPhone just to differentiate it from the iPhone. I can see the main window being styled after Front Row.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    My guess

Shuffle: \tNo change in the case design, 1G will be $59 & 2G will be $79.

Nano: \tNo change in the case design, 4G will be $149 8G will be $199 (there may be a special edition 16G)

iPod: \tThis is the new case design (Photos leaked), the new iPod will be all flash based: 8 and 16 gigs in size and multi colors. 8G will be $249 16G will be $299

iPod

Wide Screen: A new form factor: look for aluminum, glass, black with touch interface (similer to iPhone).

-HD based: 80G & 120G

-OS will be OS X based.

-80G will be $349 & 120G $399

The question is would the iPod Wide Screen have Wi-Fi?

If it did come with Wi-Fi how much would it cut into iPhone sales?
  • Reply 66 of 82
    What we're (almost) certain to see in new iPod...

1. Touchscreen (MultiTouch).

2. iPhone-like glass surface.

3. Mac OS X, with things like CoverFlow etc.

4. Wide or full-fascia screen.

5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above

2. Keep the standard 3.5mm headphone jack, DON'T make a bespoke type.

3. Bluetooth (I can think of more reasons for an iPod for have Bluetooth than WiFi, and even less reasons for it to have both)

4. A new iMac-like aluminium back panel, unlike the scratchtastic one in current models.

5. A loudspeaker.

6. Customisation of menu's, backgrounds, screensavers etc.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above

3. Bluetooth (I can think of more reasons for an iPod for have Bluetooth than WiFi, and even less reasons for it to have both)

4. A new iMac-like aluminium back panel, unlike the scratchtastic one in current models.

5. A loudspeaker.

I highly doubt it'll be all NAND Flash. We might see an 8GB/16GB scaled down version of the iPhone(w/o the phone), but I'm putting my money on an 80GB/120GB HDD version with OSX on a 1GB NAND.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    My bets for new iPods:

iPod shuffle

Same as current model, but now 2 GB. Also has a $10 price drop to $69.

iPod nano

4, 8, and 16 GB flash models,

Now with video, wireless Bluetooth music sharing, and 2.3" display

$149, $199, and $249

iPod touch

This is what we've been waiting for.

40, 80, and 120 GB models

3.5" multi-touch screen

Runs Mac OS X; interface similar to iPhone

Bluetooth music sharing (also works with new iPod nano, and iPhone with software update)

Wi-Fi with Safari (no Mail)

40 GB $299, 80 GB $399, 120 GB $449 (120 GB model exclusive to online and retail Apple Stores)

Oh, and one more thing...

The Beatles on iTunes
  • Reply 69 of 82
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside

My bets for new iPods:

iPod shuffle

Same as current model, but now 2 GB. Also has a $10 price drop to $69.

Same price.

Quote:

iPod nano

4, 8, and 16 GB flash models,

Now with video, wireless Bluetooth music sharing, and 2.3" display

$149, $199, and $249

$149, $199, and $299.

Quote:

iPod touch

This is what we've been waiting for.

40, 80, and 120 GB models

3.5" multi-touch screen

Runs Mac OS X; interface similar to iPhone

Bluetooth music sharing (also works with new iPod nano, and iPhone with software update)

Wi-Fi with Safari (no Mail)

40 GB $299, 80 GB $399, 120 GB $449 (120 GB model exclusive to online and retail Apple Stores)

40GB and 100GB models. Possible 4" screen. YouTube, Safari, photo's etc. Mobile iTunes store over WiFi.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

5. NAND flash memory.

What I WANT to see...

1. All of the above

5. A loudspeaker.

I really hope it doesn't include a loudspeaker. There are enough scrotes on public transport that feel compelled to play music aloud on their tinny mobile phone speakers as it is. All the chavs would have musical pockets if Apple allowed. Please stick with headphones only Apple.. for all our sakes!
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

Oh, and one more thing...

The Beatles on iTunes

Do people really get excited over this? I figure any huge Beatles fans already have their stuff on their iPod.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    Time to get one last prediction in. This, I think, is more realistic:

iPod shuffle

- 2GB storage

- (Product) RED edition plus colour selection rejiggering

- still $79

iPod nano (or whatever it's called)

- 4GB, 8GB, 16GB models

- colors, screens exactly as shown in the leaked photo

- $149, $199, $249 (maybe $299 for the last one, if the Creative ZEN is an indicator)

Sixth-generation iPod

- 40GB and 120GB models

- 3.5-inch touchscreen, but with a hold switch vs. sleep/wake button

- 802.11g Wi-Fi music streaming, maybe iTunes downloads

- $299 and $399

At least one will be available immediately, but some may wait until late September or early October to arrive.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    ok heres what i think will happen. ipod nano MAY get an update but those rumored pics going aound are the 6G ipod. same screen same click wheel but shorter, lighter, and thinnner. the widescreen ipod will be a whole new model. 1G ipod video or touch or what ever they decide to call it. the reason i think thats not the new nano is because its just not nano sized lol. if there is a new nano i think maybe it will have a bigger screen but if it does it will be sideways to keep the same dimensions. but who knows i could be wrong.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bnsmmr View Post

My guess (wishful thinking...) for how the iPod line will look this holiday season, based upon a mish-mash of the rumors I have seen float by.

iPod Shuffle

Fundamentally unchanged. Maybe a slight increase in storage or reduction in price.

iPod Nano

Similar form-factor to today's nano, possibly slightly lower price or more capacity, but the signature changes are:

1) Flashy new user-interface (that is shared with the regular iPod).

2) Ability to utilize all of the media that was previously restricted to the iPod video (videos, games, etc.). Touted as all the power and features of the iPod video, now available at nano prices. Although the viewing experience on a device this small might leave something to be desired, it would do in a pinch, and would significantly expand the potential market for iTunes video-related content and games.

iPod

The 6G version of the standard iPod. Still hard drive based with click wheel. The main mission here is to spank the dickens out of the HD-based Zune and undercut whatever they might come up with for version 2.

1) Significantly flashier new user-interface (shared with the Nano). Say what you want about the Zune, on the surface at least, its UI makes the iPod's look kind of out-dated.

2) Same size screen as current version, but iPod reduced in overall physical size. Apple thrives on making things smaller and bragging about it.

3) They'll accept a thin margin on this to keep prices as low as possible and difficult for others to compete with. When Apple talked about thinner margins this quarter due to product transitions, I think this was a key component.

4) No WiFi or other significant bells and whistles borrowed from the iPhone. This is for those who want a high-capacity music player at a knock-out price. Video will still play but be de-emphasized; video is now a focus of iPod #4 below.

iPod Touch

iPhone without the phone. New top line of iPods. High capacity and hard drive based. Includes WiFi, camera, etc., just no Edge or phone. This is an important cog in Apple's grand scheme to quickly grow Safari marketshare. Shared platform with iPhone, including upcoming software additions, widgets, features, etc. that come to iPhone. Expensive with generous margin built-in. iPods have been introduced as high as $599, and I could see this selling in that range. I don't buy the arguments that this would need to be priced below the iPhone, nor do I believe that it would "cannibalize" the iPhone. The phone contract is a HUGE differentiator; that is a clear separator in the potential audiences for these devices. (I'll take two of these, please.)

Ben

Apple always has the regular "iPod as the highest end of the product line so as not to dilute the brand too much. And "iPod Touch." Ok, common, that would just be ridiculous!
  • Reply 75 of 82
    I just confirmed that new iPods are coming out tomorrow!(Well we already knew that anyway)

I used the live help chat and asked, "Will I be able to buy a new iPod immediately after it is released tomorrow?", and she said yes, the new products will be available online.

You just have to ask the right question.

Of course after she posted that, she posted again saying how she can't speculate about unreleased products...right....
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post

I just confirmed that new iPods are coming out tomorrow!(Well we already knew that anyway)

I used the live help chat and asked, "Will I be able to buy a new iPod immediately after it is released tomorrow?", and she said yes, the new products will be available online.

Of course after she posted that, she posted again saying how she can't speculate about unreleased products...right....

That's hardly confirmation. It could simply have been an answer to a question you asked that was hastily given and later clarified.

I'm not disputing the coming of new iPods. But the people at the call centers know as much as the people in Apple retail stores know right now... and that's what they've read on rumor sites.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulbow View Post

"Available online" does not equal shipping immediately.

But Apple has almost ALWAYS shipped iPod products on announce with the only exception being the iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Why don't you use the correct forum for your posts.

Correct forum for iPods = iPod + iTunes + AppleTV It's so easy to see it's not even funny.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

"Available online" does not equal shipping immediately.

But Apple has almost ALWAYS shipped iPod products on announce with the only exception being the iPhone.

Apple will have their new iPods at their Apple Stores starting today. Don't expect the new iPods are other retailers until this weekend, though.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Apple will have their new iPods at their Apple Stores starting today. Don't expect the new iPods are other retailers until this weekend, though.

dear apple. hurry up.