Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3241 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

If you must know, write an email Venturer.

http://www.venturer.com/news-details.aspx?id=15

Please do let us know what you find out.

BTW, you can probably ask about all the HDi, Europe pricing and availability directly from Venturer.

cranky today ain't ya.
  • Reply 3242 of 4650
    Toshiba are pushing their proprietary format again with the announcement of a new slim line HD-DVD writer, YES this time it actually writes!

Linky

only $400 though, quite a snip.
  • Reply 3243 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Toshiba are pushing their proprietary format again with the announcement of a new slim line HD-DVD writer, YES this time it actually writes!

Linky

only $400 though, quite a snip.

Nice find. I just can't believe how expensive these things could get.

I can be sure that I will not be getting one anytime soon, until I can have the HD-DVD writable optical media for less than $1.00 per SL disc. Which means.... another 12+ months of waiting.

Looks like the HiDef media format war will soon get heated even in the PC space.
  • Reply 3244 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Nice find. I just can't believe how expensive these things could get.

Does anyone know what pricing DVD writers entered the market at? I had thought they started at just under $1000 or so, and then went down to commodity pricing later.

I could be wrong on that though.
  • Reply 3245 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    My question is...how can the writer be only $400 when a decent player is still almost that much?
  • Reply 3246 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My question is...how can the writer be only $400 when a decent player is still almost that much?

When DVD writers can be bought at $40 nowadays..... $400 for HD-DVD or even Blu-Ray writer still does feel awful a lot expensive.

Not to mention that writable media for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is at $10+ for SL disc.

Anyone wants to make a prediction to how quickly would the price drop before we can have sub $100 writer and sub $1 recordable HiDef media?...
  • Reply 3247 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

When DVD writers can be bought at $40 nowadays..... $400 for HD-DVD or even Blu-Ray writer still does feel awful a lot expensive.

Not to mention that writable media for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is at $10+ for SL disc.

Anyone wants to make a prediction to how quickly would the price drop before we can have sub $100 writer and sub $1 recordable HiDef media?...

2 years.

I know that on my end, I won't upgrade my MBP (purchased a year ago) until I can get a built in hidef/CD/DVD/RW writer. I figure that's 18 months away.
  • Reply 3248 of 4650
    Quote:

First reaction is 18 months, but I would say it will all depend on what the Blu-ray manufacturers put out, how quick a price drop comes, but if I remember rightly it was around 18 months for DVD burners to drop to a "cheap" level.

of interest should be that its a USB2 connection, can USB REALLY (as opposed to "theoretically") handle multi speed writing given that USB is limited by its "burst" speed? or will the really fast burners have to be firewire 800 drives (Apple the future again haha) or some varient of PCI and so be limited to internal drives (of course most drives are internal in reality)

I somehow don't think we will see 52 speed HD-DVD/Blu-ray drives like we did with CDs any time soon
  • Reply 3249 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Actually, it took longer than that. Apple was the first major manufacturer to put DVD burners in their systems back in '99 and the drives still weren't affordable to most people back then. Obviously, we won't see 52x. Each format has its own baseline speed, so it's not comparable. DVD burners are still stuck at 16x. Anything really fast would have to be serial ATA or eSATA. I recently transferred about 250GB via USB 2.0. It took close to 3 hours. Burning a 50GB Blu-ray disc would take over half an hour at that speed, assuming the drive can keep up.
  • Reply 3250 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Ridley Scott Feeling Blu

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=467

Quote:

Medusa Distribution, an Italian film distributor and exclusive HD DVD supporter, will release 'Kingdom of Heaven' as their first Blu-ray title. The move comes after the film's director, Ridley Scott, insisted that they release the title on Blu-ray. The acclaimed director joins the ranks of Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola as filmmakers who insist their films get distributed on Blu-ray.

Hmm, even the directors see the advantages of Blu-ray.
  • Reply 3251 of 4650
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

DVD burners are still stuck at 16x. Anything really fast would have to be serial ATA or eSATA.

Don't tell the manufacturers who have been selling 20x DVD burners for nearly a year.

20x DVD is under 28 MB/s. Ultra DMA mode 2 is 33 MB/s. Ultra DMA mode 4 is 66 MB/s. Mode 6 is 133 MB/s.

The real limitation is the construction of DVDs. 56x CD drives and 20x DVD drives spin up to about 11K RPM. MythBusters were able to shatter discs at around 23K RPM, but there needs to be a huge safety cushion... Any imperfection in a disc would make it more likely to shatter in at lower RPM.
  • Reply 3252 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Ridley Scott Feeling Blu

Typical half truth. Spielberg is about the money. He wants his movies delivered to the format with millions of players. Lucas feels the same way. They don't care about Blu-ray or HD DVD as formats but rather how many players are available and what security the formats have for their movies.
  • Reply 3253 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Typical half truth. Spielberg is about the money. He wants his movies delivered to the format with millions of players. Lucas feels the same way. They don't care about Blu-ray or HD DVD as formats but rather how many players are available and what security the formats have for their movies.

With millions of BD capable PS3s in the world that will be BD then!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Ridley Scott Feeling Blu

funny but I thought it was already out on BD Link here
  • Reply 3254 of 4650
    ooo ooo OOO!!!

"The shining" comming to Blu-ray !! I'm happy
  • Reply 3255 of 4650
    Quote:

With millions of BD capable PS3s in the world that will be BD then!?

funny but I thought it was already out on BD Link here

That's what Sony has been saying since the beginning and every time they claimed victory over the HD-DVD.

Obviously, the studios/industry is starting to realized the poor attachment rate on the PS3 owners when it comes to HiDef movies. This is one of the reason Paramount and Dreamworks turned away from PS3 format. Gamers are not movie enthusiasts/hobbyists.
  • Reply 3256 of 4650
    Quote:

ooo ooo OOO!!!

"The shining" comming to Blu-ray !! I'm happy

Free HD-DVD player with Matrix Trilogy Box Set in UK.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...aunching.phtml

That's what I call a promo. OOO OOO OOO!!!
  • Reply 3257 of 4650
    Quote:

Free HD-DVD player with Matrix Trilogy Box Set in UK.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...aunching.phtml

That's what I call a promo. OOO OOO OOO!!!

Great spin that one! it's only the first 150 buyers! so If I bought that I'd likely end up stuck with a box of discs I couldn't watch!! hardly a bargin.

Plus the Matrix trilogy?? sweet sam spud! One great film, followed by one crap film with some great CGI followed by one utterly shite film that ten tons of CGI couldn't rescue. Its so bad I've managed to wipe it from my mind!

I "might" pick them up in a couple of years for $10-15 the lot but only really for the first film in hi-def. I caught a few mins of the second one in SD and the effects looked SO fake, still {shudder} it was better than the "acting"

But what do I know? I watch the phantom menace last night {I DID skip through the shit bits though}

PS. I'm excited about the (probable) new iPods tomorrow
  • Reply 3258 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

Don't tell the manufacturers who have been selling 20x DVD burners for nearly a year.

Good luck finding blank media for those.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What? You mean it's not all about attach rates? It's all about how many discs they can sell? Inconceivable!
  • Reply 3259 of 4650
    Quote:

Great spin that one! it's only the first 150 buyers! so If I bought that I'd likely end up stuck with a box of discs I couldn't watch!! hardly a bargin.

Plus the Matrix trilogy?? sweet sam spud! One great film, followed by one crap film with some great CGI followed by one utterly shite film that ten tons of CGI couldn't rescue. Its so bad I've managed to wipe it from my mind!

I take it that you're not near Oxford Street in UK?...

I actually have this set in HD-DVD. I was lucky and got the box set for $20 + tax from Circuit City Online.

I had played all three movies then and were just pure eye candy. I have to say that PQ & AQ is just awesome on all three, however, the first Matrix is my preferred choice. Hey, I also paid $20 for Aeon Flux as an eye candy demo on HD-DVD when it first came out. So, I can't complain much about Matrix Trilogy at same price.
  • Reply 3260 of 4650
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Good luck finding blank media for those.

I have a Lite-On drive, so there are firmwares available that will no only increase the start point of the burn curve, but also allow you to set the burn speed to 20x for any MID. The OPC on drive will intelligently back down if the media has imperfections.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=207033 (from http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html )

Plus the better Mitsubishi Chemical and Taiyo Yuden MIDs work at 20x right out of the box.