Finally joined the Mac community

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My first computer was an Apple IIe back in 1980 or so and since then I was stuck in the PC world. So finally, today, I made the switch, with a new 20" iMac and love it. Lots to unlearn.

Set up the computer, plugged in the Power, connected Ethernet and Mouse and thats all that was needed. Installed Missing Sync to sync with my Treo 750v.

Just not to have deal with drivers, what a relief.

My last PC is a Dual Core Compaq with Vista Premium. What a joke that is. 5 years and a gazillion dollars and thats what they came up with>

So, quick question, what are good sites for an experienced PC person, but very new to the Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Welcome back to Apple!

What kind of sites do you mean?

What do you plan to do with your Mac?

Apple now has some pretty good how-to videos on their site.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Yiu're going to laugh, but I dont really do multimedia, so really mostly documents, email, internet. So, Forums for people who want to get to know the Mac, maybe since its easier on this machine, I will learn how to do some multimedia.

I have a Treo 750 and I'm on the Treocentral site for example.

Thanks,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Welcome back to Apple!

What kind of sites do you mean?

What do you plan to do with your Mac?

Apple now has some pretty good how-to videos on their site.

• Reply 3 of 11
    No worry. I started out on Apple IIe's myself and held on to my Mac Plus for over a decade (though I did have things along the way).

The how-to's on Apple's site are really simple to watch and will help you learn your Mac pretty quickly. There is also a HELP menu in every application (up at the top of the screen) and lots of reading from there.

For example: I have Safari open now...

APPLE Safari File Edit View History Bookmarks Window Help

Pull down help, Safari Help and the first item is Discovering Safari.

If you deal a lot with documents you might want to consider getting Office Mac so you can read your old files easily.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Just give it a few weeks and it will sort itself out. I assume you know about iPhoto and iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    iLife'08 and most definitely iWork'08. You will never want to touch Microsoft Office (Mac, PC, whatever) ever again after a few days with iWork'08. Seriously. Multimedia stuff, go iLife'08.

Then you can branch out to all sorts of interesting third-party Mac apps. The Mac developer community is really blossoming right now.

It's a journey...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Thanks all. The magic is back after 27 years in the tech industry. I walk by my den and look at the iMac, sheesh, like a teenager.

I might go with Iworks or with Googles Documents suite, Ive used it a few times.

I'm somewhat disappointed with The Missing Sync, I'll give it a few more days, had some problems with it.

I love the way an application "explodes" in a puff of smoke when you remove it from the Dock.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The only reason I suggested Office Mac was you might have older files you might still be working on.

If not, then by all means go with iWork. Pages is awesome.

Like a teenager.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Brent at Missing Sync Tech Support sent me a detailed email that resolved my problem, so all good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by naftalim View Post

Thanks all. The magic is back after 27 years in the tech industry. I walk by my den and look at the iMac, sheesh, like a teenager.

I'm somewhat disappointed with The Missing Sync, I'll give it a few more days, had some problems with it.

• Reply 9 of 11
    Now, that I am finally back in the Apple world after 27 dreary years in Ballmers nightmare, I can reminisce about the early Apple Days. Anyone remember Nibble? Please dont tell me you still have copies at home
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Why not give the free app Neooffice a shot? Will work great with your Excel, Word, PP, apps and the price can't be beat. A quick google and download will get you started.

I actually bought iWork but have been too lazy to install and use instead of Neooffice.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    buddhabuddha Posts: 386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naftalim View Post

So, quick question, what are good sites for an experienced PC person, but very new to the Mac?

I've heard this is good