KaZaA Shadow Client

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How do you use the alpha of the Neo KaZaA shadow client? my searches come up negative and im on a DSL line....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    With difficulty.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Yep me too on a DSL line, having no luck... This app truely suxs!!! Pitty doesnt look all that bad!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Whats Pitty? can you please send me a link to it?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Once you get it to work it isn't that bad, but it's a pain in the ass at first.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    how do you get it to work? I've tried everything... All help would be appreciated.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Proud iBook Owner 2k2 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    To get it to work, you have to scan a bunch of IPs to find other clients. Yes, it is a "brute force" method and yes it takes a long time to scan.

Alternatively, you can download a master list by clicking, well, the Master list button.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ok cool thanx i;ll try that...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yep that isn't as intuitive as it should be. However, Brad, after doing that, files still won't dowload. Granted I last (and first) tried this months ago, but I tried many different servers, and not a single file would download. I forget the error message, I will check this again tomorrow perhaps. But I was left with the impression of a shitty app that looked cool. Why can't it just access the network normally?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Why can't it just access the network normally?</strong><hr></blockquote>Why? Because KaZaA encrypts the master server, that's why.

It it practically **impossible** to create a fully-featured KaZaA clone. The next-best thing you can do is create a brute-force shadow client like this. Neo's creator has explained this several times both at MacNN (where he first seeded builds of it) and in the "getting started" documentation for Neo.

Downloading has worked fine for me most of the time. Remember, some servers may have a limited number of upstreams available. Are you behind any kind of firewall? Or a proxy?