The Beatles' Paul McCartney to make "special announcement"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Paul McCartney, one of the founding members of The Beatles, is scheduled to to appear on BBC Radio 1 later this afternoon to make "very special announcement," AppleInsider has learned.

McCartney, whose appearance is likely to coincide with announcements from Apple Inc. around the same time, will join BBC Radio 1?s Edith Bowman at approximately 1:00 p.m. Eastern.

Rumors that Apple and the Beatles have finally reached terms to bring the Fab Four's music catalog to Apple's ubiquitous iTunes Store received a shot in the arm last week when Apple issued digital invites to its special media event on September 5th, with the caption "The beat goes on."

As was previously noted by AppleInsider, "The beat goes on" phrase appears to have been borrowed from the trailing line of The Beatles' final press release, which was issued by Apple Records on April 10, 1970, following the band's split.

"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you," read the 1970 Beatles release. "When the spinning stops -- that'll be the time to worry, not before. Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."

Apple's event begins today at 10:00 a.m. Pacific, 1:00 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As was previously noted by AppleInsider, "The beat goes on" phrase appears to have been borrowed from the trailing line of The Beatles' final press release, which was issued by Apple Records on April 10, 1970, following the band's split.

Not that AI broke this information... but rather added it - without notification - to the original article to give the appearance that AI was on top of it all along.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    So what about the new Madonna song that was leaked yesterday called "The beat goes on?"

Coincidence?

The link:

http://whatspoppin.punt.nl/#385462
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Woops. Double post.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Well, I guess in a few hours well find out whether people are still interested in the Beatles to the over-hyped level the record company wants us to believe.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    that madonna thing is crazy
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

that madonna thing is crazy

Maybe a performance by Madonna?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Well, I guess in a few hours well find out whether people are still interested in the Beatles to the over-hyped level the record company wants us to believe.

I know... I guess alot of people really still love the Beatles. I'm not one of them, and I could care less. I always assumed Apple is trying to bring another generation into the digital media fold with this incessant courting of McCartney et al. Whether it will have a significant impact on iPod sales, who knows. My guess is no.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    You may want to think about doing your research before reporting this. Radio 1 is a public service broadcaster that has very strict rules about advertising - absolutely inconceivable that McCartney would go on to promote the Beatles catalogue on itunes specifically. In fact McCartney's appearance was to do with him and other special guests presenting a selection of shows to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Radio 1.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Paul McCartney was on Radio 1 and the announcement was about Radio 1's 40th Anniversary celebrations, nothing to do with Apple.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6980397.stm
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by growbotham View Post

Paul McCartney was on Radio 1 and the announcement was about Radio 1's 40th Anniversary celebrations, nothing to do with Apple.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6980397.stm

So maybe "The Beat Goes On" is about Madonna.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Why would the invite from Apple feature at least two beatles album if the Beatles is not part of the announcement?

I believe it's Yellow submarine to the left of the Apple ad in the middle, and Sgt. Peppper to the right...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike A View Post

Why would the invite from Apple feature at least two beatles album if the Beatles is not part of the announcement?

I believe it's Yellow submarine to the left of the Apple ad in the middle, and Sgt. Peppper to the right...

If you're thinking of the announcement, then they aren't the album covers, unless i'm very much mistaken.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Who actually cares if you can get The Beatles content in th iTS ? I mean most people interested in them have the Vinyls, the CDs and if they are real suckers the latest compilations on CD. Which are not copy protected.

I cant stand all that yapping about "when are The Beatles coming to the iTS?". Eloquently said "The beat goes on" The worlds keeps turning w/o them in the iTS. They split nerly 40 years ago, half of them are dead.

So what ?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I'm am now laughing at this thread. I doubted Paul McCartney would make an appearance. Now I know I was right.

-Clive